New Gandy Malou-Mamel article | The Boneyard

New Gandy Malou-Mamel article

Reaction Score
Her recruitment has all but told me that I know absolutely nothing in regards to recruiting. They’ve traveled to watch her play, been in constant communication, she’s visited and we knew nothing. Awesome article.

My favorite quote: “I don’t think UConn basketball has any idea what they’re getting,” Quinn said.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Fantastic story...thanks Nan.

Hope we get a Boneyarder or two go see her play this coming high school season...with
subsequent wisdom appearing on the board.

Reaction Score
If Gandy is the real deal that I and others think she is,than LOOK OUT !!! We are in for a ride to more NC's GO GANDY!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Her recruitment has all but told me that I know absolutely nothing in regards to recruiting. They’ve traveled to watch her play, been in constant communication, she’s visited and we knew nothing. Awesome article.

My favorite quote: “I don’t think UConn basketball has any idea what they’re getting,” Quinn said.
Schools can't (NCAA rule) comment on their recruiting efforts/targets. They wouldn't if they could. All you will ever hear coming from the UConn basketball office regarding recruiting is........................crickets. Geno runs a very tight ship with respect to leaks. Geno's program is extremely airtight. You'll never read about a report from an "unknown" source about the UConn WBB team. One of the reasons (there are others) Geno is very careful about who he hires as an assistant. He has to be able to trust them.

When we hear about a player being looked at (courted) or being offered, that information always comes from the player, or her camp. The only time a school can comment on a recruit is when a recruit has committed, and they have a signed Letter of Intent (LOI) in their possession.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Schools can't (NCAA rule) comment on their recruiting efforts/targets. They wouldn't if they could. All you will ever hear coming from the UConn basketball office regarding recruiting is........................crickets. Geno runs a very tight ship with respect to leaks. Geno's program is extremely airtight. You'll never read about a report from an "unknown" source about the UConn WBB team. One of the reasons Geno is very careful about who he hires as an assistant. He has to be able to trust them.

When we hear about a player being looked at (courted) or being offered, that information always comes from the player, or her camp. The only time a school can comment on a recruit is when a recruit has committed, and they have a signed Letter of Intent (LOI) in their possession.

Or who's following who on Instagram or Twitter

Carnac

Reaction Score
Fantastic story...thanks Nan.

Hope we get a Boneyarder or two go see her play this coming high school season...with
subsequent wisdom appearing on the board.
Agreed. I would love a "first hand" scouting report on Gandy. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This was in my inbox yesterday. For me the most interesting part was how Geno didn't just hand her an offer.

" While Auriemma indicated his initial interest, he then took a step back. The Huskies knew they wanted her, but they waited to see if she wanted the Huskies.

“He kind of pushed for me to show my interest in the school first,” Malou-Mamel explained. “So rather than him pulling me towards committing, it was more I had to do with myself. I had to be sure of myself wanting to be there. He was not going to baby me into making that decision.”

Reaction Score
Schools can't (NCAA rule) comment on their recruiting efforts/targets. They wouldn't if they could. All you will ever hear coming from the UConn basketball office regarding recruiting is........................crickets. Geno runs a very tight ship with respect to leaks. Geno's program is extremely airtight. You'll never read about a report from an "unknown" source about the UConn WBB team. One of the reasons (there are others) Geno is very careful about who he hires as an assistant. He has to be able to trust them.

And that LOI can't be signed until November of their senior year.

Now, about those 2028 recruits.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Gandy is the real deal that I and others think she is,than LOOK OUT !!! We are in for a ride to more NC's GO GANDY!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
1690490932291.png

One thing we can see is at 6'5", she's long and hard to pass or shoot over. She's only 17. Maybe she's not through growing yet? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
View attachment 90106
One thing we can see is at 6'5", she's long and hard to pass or shoot over. She's only 17. Maybe she's not through growing yet? :rolleyes:
I have posted before. at 17 and 6' 5"she should grow another 2 or 3 inches by the time Gandy gets to Uconn. Having a 6'8" center for the first time will be the final piece in making Uconn BAD FOR BASKETBALL AGAIN. GOD willing, I hope I will be around to see it. I am retiring this year and outside my daughter and granddaughter, the only JOY I have in life is Uconn Huskies and their wonderful players. GO GANDY!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
View attachment 90106
So many comments about her growing. Have many experienced women over 16 grown in height? She would already be one of the taller players in college basketball. Expanding her skills, not height, appear to be her main focus.

Reaction Score
So many comments about her growing. Have many experienced women over 16 grown in height? She would already be one of the taller players in college basketball. Expanding her skills, not height, appear to be her main focus.
I remember being 17 and utterly focused on expanding my height. Sadly I never managed to gain even a millimeter and topped out 5’8”. I’m probably a bit shorter now. Maybe I should have focused on skills, too.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking/hoping HopJim, ergo the wistful smiling emoji. It's understood that most females are done growing by age 14/15.

Per Google: When will a girl stop growing? Girls grow at a quick pace throughout infancy and childhood. When they reach puberty, growth increases dramatically again. Girls usually stop growing and reach adult height by 14 or 15 years old, or a couple years after menstruation begins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have posted before. at 17 and 6' 5"she should grow another 2 or 3 inches by the time Gandy gets to Uconn. Having a 6'8" center for the first time will be the final piece in making Uconn BAD FOR BASKETBALL AGAIN. GOD willing, I hope I will be around to see it. I am retiring this year and outside my daughter and granddaughter, the only JOY I have in life is Uconn Huskies and their wonderful players. GO GANDY!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I posted what I said with the thought that there are always exceptions to any rule and growing 2 or 3 more inches is not out of possibility. If anyone believes in possibilities then why not?? The key word here is possible. Thank you for the article. GO HUSKIES!!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Gandy will play for Ireland in a friendly against Austria on Saturday in Dublin. A familiar name on Ireland's roster is Bridget Herlihy who played for Villanova.

Reaction Score
Gandy will play for Ireland in a friendly against Austria on Saturday in Dublin. A familiar name on Ireland's roster is Bridget Herlihy who played for Villanova.

Gandy played, but did not score:

The teams will play again on Sunday, but without fans so it might be the kind of exhibition where neither team will report on the result.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom