New Game Replay: UConn vs. Arizona (12/9/2000) | The Boneyard

New Game Replay: UConn vs. Arizona (12/9/2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Connecticut ended its game against fifth-ranked Arizona today by watching its students storm the court, an idea posed to them around midnight Friday by Coach Jim Calhoun as he served them coffee while they camped out in tents to get prime seats.

The euphoria was caused by the Huskies' upset of Arizona at Gampel Pavilion, a 71-69 victory thanks largely to a controversial goaltending call with 1.8 seconds left.

Tony Robertson was credited with the game-winning basket after his shot was batted away by Arizona's 7-foot-1 center, Loren Woods. The official Rich Ballesteros ruled goaltending, but slow-motion television replays showed the ball was not on its way down when Woods touched it.

''I haven't seen a replay,'' Robertson said. ''I don't want to. I'm just happy with the call.''

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2000-2001-mens-basketball-games-replays/

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Thanks!

I was still in high school during that Arizona game, but me and a friend talked to some friends at UConn and procured UConn student IDs in order to watch the game from the student section. What a game.

I feel privileged to have taken part in the first storming of Gampel as well as the first storming of the Rent (USF in 2007). Not sure how many other people were part of both.

Reaction Score
Loren Woods was such a soft player

He was. But the call on taliek's lay up and 1 was not a foul and that was not a goal tend on Tony's. We tend to bitch about the refs a lot but needed to have love fest with them that night!:D

Reaction Score
My freshman year, and remember this one vividly. Is that a young Josh Pastner on the Arizona sideline complaining about the goal tend?

Reaction Score
My freshman year, and remember this one vividly. Is that a young Josh Pastner on the Arizona sideline complaining about the goal tend?

Yes it is a young, short haired looking Josh and you know they were in trouble when he made a suggestion to then HC and they brought the team back to get them focused on something he said. I mean he can't coach now, imagine when he was 25?

That team was deep - Gardner, Jefferson, Wright, Arenas, Woods, Walton, Edgerson.......and some more decent bench players. Didn't Edgerson play against us again 2010? lol

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
One of my favorite Gampel memories. Senior year... Spent as much time pregaming at Teds as possible, left my girlfriend at the time waiting out front of Gampel and she was HEATED... But all worth it in the end. :)

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
That was a stacked Arizona team.

Would take Selvie on this years team in a heartbeat.

Edit: Would take many Wane or Saunders too. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone have a replay of the Caron vs Zona game? I only watched the last 5 minutes of that game. Still pissed im missed most of that game.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Anyone have a replay of the Caron vs Zona game? I only watched the last 5 minutes of that game. Still pissed im missed most of that game.

I would guess you mean the AZ game in 01-02: click here

I remember this game as one where Caron struggled, with Luke Walton really getting the better of him. Watch this game to see Emeka (and Ben) as a freshman. As exciting as AB's potential looked as a freshman, Emeka was in an entirely different stratosphere. Great game.

Reaction Score
I would guess you mean the AZ game in 01-02: click here

I remember this game as one where Caron struggled, with Luke Walton really getting the better of him. Watch this game to see Emeka (and Ben) as a freshman. As exciting as AB's potential looked as a freshman, Emeka was in an entirely different stratosphere. Great game.
Thanks! Great game played at such a high level. Man that Uconn team was loaded!

Reaction Score
Thanks! Great game played at such a high level. Man that Uconn team was loaded!

I've said this before on here. That is my favorite UConn regular season game. It also was my freshman year so I'm probably a little biased. We all knew Emeka was good from his earlier games, but after that game we knew he was going to be great.

Reaction Score
3 of the best games I ever saw all featured Caron Butler

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's a young graduate-assistant Josh Pastner on the bench there - his teams still lose in crunch time. How fitting.

Reaction Score
This was such a strange game. Marcus Cox getting big minutes and playing well, Justin Brown getting big minutes, Tom Brokaw coaching Arizona and UConn getting all the love from the refs at the end.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Was my Sophomore year and remember the article in the Daily Campus on how to rush the court and one of them was to follow my buddy in the pep band who was a big, tall dude with red hair! Also remember finding Wane on the court and jumping up and down with him. It was crazy and freaking Awesome!

And @BUHusky I am in the same boat as you but storming the court at Gampel was as a student and the Rent as an alumni! Storming the court at Gampel blows away going on the field at the Rent and I'm a bigger football fan!

Reaction Score
Man oh man...I do not miss Billy Packer one bit.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Was my Sophomore year and remember the article in the Daily Campus on how to rush the court and one of them was to follow my buddy in the pep band who was a big, tall dude with red hair! Also remember finding Wane on the court and jumping up and down with him. It was crazy and freaking Awesome!

And @BUHusky I am in the same boat as you but storming the court at Gampel was as a student and the Rent as an alumni! Storming the court at Gampel blows away going on the field at the Rent and I'm a bigger football fan!
That's awesome! Glad I have company in that group. Though I went to BU and not UConn so I can't say I stormed anything as a student or alumni. Just as a fan ;)

Reaction Score
Look how angry Pastner gets at 1:22:05. Made me smile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member