New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Friend on another board put me onto this home town article about Autumn's decision. Interesting gutsy quotes from her. Very articulate young woman.

After years of being told she was too small to play college basketball on the Division I level, Chassion set out to prove the naysayers wrong.

"That's all everyone talked about," Chassion said. "I'm too small. In high school, I grew like 4 inches. Now, I've always been skinny, and I'm the same skinny kid, but I don't feel like that will prevent me from excelling on the basketball court.

"But, I can't dwell on who didn't believe in me," Chassion continued. "And I'm not mad at any coach who didn't want me. But that's no longer my focus. I have to focus on the people who did want me and believed in me. I'm up to the challenge, and it is on me to show them what I can do here and prove that I can be an asset to the team."

"People are going to look at it as they accepted me as a walk-on, but I don't see it that way,"' said Autumn, who aspires to become a doctor and plans on attending medical school. "I see it as they saw something in me and gave me an opportunity to come in and prove my worth. That's all I ever wanted was a chance to prove what I'm capable of doing on a basketball court. What I'm not going to do is say, 'Oh, I'm here.' I'm not here just to say I'm here. I'm here to prove myself and earn my keep. I'm here to play, contribute and be the best teammate I can be."

I liked her before, but after reading what she told the advertiser, I like her even more. Good for you Autumn!! Other people’s perception of you does not have to become your reality.

You just picked up thousands of new (and true) UConn fans that are spread all across the country. We believe in you, and will root for you and support you 100%. We're eager to watch your growth and development over the next 4 years. Welcome to the family, we have your back!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who cares how many minutes she gets. We already have big time firepower coming. What I like is her drive and attitude based on article quotes. Having a person like her working her butt off to get the most of her ability makes it really hard for a super star to just coast in practice and not give a 100%. Geno knows what he is doing with bringing Autumn in and I like it.

Reaction Score
Geno and the other coaches don’t expect any more or less from her than anyone else. Some of these comments here are tantamount to a mother eating her young. How about we remove her from under the microscope, be glad she's here, and show her some crazy boneyard love? How 'bout it? :)

I think every post has been super positive. I don't see the negativity that you are seeing here in terms of "eating their young." I think everyone loves this is her dream and love she brings a supreme attitude. Which walk-ons don't? One thing about walk-ons - they have a heart and will made of iron.

And yes I expect her to be a scholarship player eventually.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Complete list of UConn walk ons and what their experiences at UConn were

Also, an addendum to the Chassion story

One more interesting nugget that didn’t make it into my feature on UConn’s new walk-on Autumn Chassion: On the AAU circuit, Chassion faced Mir McLean and possibly Paige Bueckers as well — though Chassion’s father (and AAU coach) wasn’t certain of the latter. However, he does remember going up against McLean.

“Mir’s team beat the stuffing out of us,” Tehmi Chassion said. “Not the stuffing but they ended up winning by 20 points. We were down two starters and we’re playing our hardest in New Orleans and Mir’s team is slowly pulling away. Mir’s in the air for a rebound literally for 5-6 seconds. She’s floating. The girl gets up and she’s grabbing the ball at the rim and she’s floating in the air.”

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think every post has been super positive. I don't see the negativity that you are seeing here in terms of "eating their young." I think everyone loves this is her dream and love she brings a supreme attitude. Which walk-ons don't? One thing about walk-ons - they have a heart and will made of iron.

And yes I expect her to be a scholarship player eventually.
Look a little closer hh.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I liked her before, but after reading what she told the advertiser, I like her even more. Good for you Autumn!! Other people’s perception of you does not have to become your reality.

You just picked up thousands of new (and true) UConn fans that are spread all across the country. We believe in you, and will root for you and support you 100%. We're eager to watch your growth and development over the next 4 years. Welcome to the family, we have your back!!! :cool:

Now THIS is the kind of affirmative message I REALLY like to read: no attempt to position her value to the team or assess her future level of skill based on old or minimal recorded evidence. Same for Caroline Ducharme, measuring the projected abilities of a high school junior against those of college graduates and veterans. For myself, I prefer to suspend judgment until Uconn commits have a chance to *show* what they are capable of. Fun to speculate, yes, but I wonder what some of those yet-to-be Huskies make of these evaluations, especially those that declare them wanting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

One more interesting nugget that didn’t make it into my feature on UConn’s new walk-on Autumn Chassion: On the AAU circuit, Chassion faced Mir McLean and possibly Paige Bueckers as well — though Chassion’s father (and AAU coach) wasn’t certain of the latter. However, he does remember going up against McLean.

“Mir’s team beat the stuffing out of us,” Tehmi Chassion said. “Not the stuffing but they ended up winning by 20 points. We were down two starters and we’re playing our hardest in New Orleans and Mir’s team is slowly pulling away. Mir’s in the air for a rebound literally for 5-6 seconds. She’s floating. The girl gets up and she’s grabbing the ball at the rim and she’s floating in the air.”
Air McLean. Mir used to be a Russian Space Station in low earth orbit. Mir McLean plays in high earth orbit. ;)

Reaction Score
Don’t you hate it when people state what is already known by most fans in a attempt to sound profound or all knowing?

What are you talking about? I was giving my opinion, isn't that kind of what you do on a forum? If you don't like it, then block me and stop being a jerk!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Don’t you hate it when people state what is already known by most fans in a attempt to sound profound or all knowing?
One must be quite 'profound' or even "all knowing" to state with certainty that another poster is attempting to sound profound or all knowing. Sure you can disagree, but there is no Boneyard requirement that you must publicly speculate on a another's motives. I disagree with the OP often, but I sure do not pretend to understand him/her.

Reaction Score
The harsh truth is that no one in this group has any real knowledge of what kind of player Autumn will be. Let’s just say “welcome, glad to have you and do your best and we will be with you every bounce of the ball.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
In terms of expectations I think Autumn probably brings a talent level that is clearly way better than a typical walk-on, and at the same time considerably below the low end of what Uconn typically recruits. Given where we are at, that is a very good thing.

Kyla and Molly are examples of the "low end" of what Uconn recruits. If you remember when they were recruited at least early in their careers, we had if I remember right 14 players on the roster potentially with twelve of those being highly rated prospects, and how are we going to find time for everyone was the question of the day.

In my opinion Kyla and Molly were not recruited to be a regular part of the rotation like last year, but rather to be improved versions of Pulido and Lawlor. Even though Kyla and Molly (maybe in the 100-200 range) were clearly above average compared to the roughly 1,000 Div 1 recruits each year, they were not at the level Geno "wants" to give regular playing time to.

I suspect the thought process was we can't keep everybody happy, so the tail end of the bench should be players with character who can contribute in practice, be happy just to be part of the team and can accept garbage minutes. If we can get someone rated as highly as Kyla and Molly for that role, why not?

Of course as it turns out they wound up playing more important roles, with Megan's class going from 4 to 1, followed by consecutive 2 player classes, and Azura leaving early and Butler transferring, so you never know.

On paper Autumn checks alot of boxes for that role. Presumably far better than a true walk-on, but perhaps not as high as Kyla or Molly. Great student, loves Uconn, happy to get this opportunity and be part of this program, and can probably be a good teammate and accept her role.

Right now the roster going forward looks like it did a few years ago. Once you get past 9 or 10 highly rated recruits, it is hard to be content with a mop up role, for someone rated in the top 20-30 out of 1,000
incoming Div 1 recruits. And yet having more than ten from a team standpoint helps a-lot. Practice is hard with 10 because injuries happen, people get sick, and this year for obvious reasons that is even more true, making adding a Division 1 level walk-on of Autumn's caliber a major coup.

Now if we can just find an Autumn Part 2 in the body of a big! Ha!

Great post oldhuskie. You touched on some points some of us may have forgotten or over looked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One must be quite 'profound' or even "all knowing" to state with certainty that another poster is attempting to sound profound or all knowing. Sure you can disagree, but there is no Boneyard requirement that you must publicly speculate on a another's motives. I disagree with the OP often, but I sure do not pretend to understand him/her.
Thank you. I already knew that. I know it ALL! Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? I was giving my opinion, isn't that kind of what you do on a forum? If you don't like it, then block me and stop being a jerk!
You typed it like it was fact. You type what Geno has been doing for years as if you’re the only one who knows. I responded like at least 8 other may have (likes). Not being a jerk. My “opinion” is that your post are often wrong. I don’t think you’re a fan but I could be wrong. That’s an opinion.
Signed
Mdoggie the profoundly all knowing aka Jerk.

Reaction Score
You typed it like it was fact. You type what Geno has been doing for years as if you’re the only one who knows. I responded like at least 8 other may have (likes). Not being a jerk. My “opinion” is that your post are often wrong. I don’t think you’re a fan but I could be wrong. That’s an opinion.
Signed
Mdoggie the profoundly all knowing aka Jerk.

I didn't 100% agree or disagree with redsoxfan though the name calling he did was wrong. However, how else is he/are you supposed to express an opinion without having to litter posts with "IMO" in order to make it sound like you aren't being so arrogant? I think I get on others nerves too (I'm sorry if I do)-- for example with some poster who got mad/ or frustrated etc at me for expressing that in my opinion Edwards is not going to be a guard. SO as a result she is not a wing either (IMO!!!! :)) I didn't say though "IMO" on that post from a while back. I just said "she is not." So, how often do I have to say it's "In my opinion?" Does that mean every post a person has to start off with "In my opinion" and continue it throughout the post?

These boards are also for discussion. As long as no insults are thrown why care how "profound" someone sounds? An opinion should sound "profound" in some manner, shouldn't it? :)

Reaction Score
I didn't 100% agree or disagree with redsoxfan though the name calling he did was wrong. However, how else is he/are you supposed to express an opinion without having to litter posts with "IMO" in order to make it sound like you aren't being so arrogant? I think I get on others nerves too (I'm sorry if I do)-- for example with some poster who got mad/ or frustrated etc at me for expressing that in my opinion Edwards is not going to be a guard. SO as a result she is not a wing either (IMO!!!! :)) I didn't say though "IMO" on that post from a while back. I just said "she is not." So, how often do I have to say it's "In my opinion?" Does that mean every post a person has to start off with "In my opinion" and continue it throughout the post?

These boards are also for discussion. As long as no insults are thrown why care how "profound" someone sounds? An opinion should sound "profound" in some manner, shouldn't it? :)
Point taken. I’m good. Throughout my previous career, I was called every name but the son of God. Sticks and stones. You get on my nerves!! Not really. Enjoy your day Hoophuskee.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont know the answer, so please guess. If it was mentioned in a post or an article, sorry if I missed it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think she might be around Molly talent. It will be interesting to see if she can have control of her nerve as opposed to Molly. Watching Molly, it always seemed like she was nervous, rushing, and calculating mathematical equations in her head while playing.

To me, Molly (except her senior year) always appeared to be afraid of making a mistake or a turnover. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
1596863700845.png

Is Geno still on the lookout for that "other" walk-on which will round out the roster at an even dozen, or is he done? I'm guessing here, but I think he still looking (or has selected the player, but hasn't announced it yet).
I don't think it will be another guard. We would all like it to be a post player, odds are it will be a 3/4.
Classroom instruction begins in 24 days (Aug 31). If he going to bring another player in, she needs to be on campus before then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Autumn brings to mind another UConn player recruited onto a loaded 2000-2001 team. Remember DT, Sue , Svetlana,Swin, Tamika, Shea?

And we got a player from Derby,CT that many thought would never see the floor. Maria Conlon. Geno said “she may be small, but she is also slow”. All she knew how to do was win and out work everyone else. She left with 3 National Championships.

I see the same with Autumn. she knows how to work hard and win. She is right where she wants to be and will be an asset to the team. Rooting for her.

Reaction Score

And Autumn possesses what is several BYers' favorite stat: she stands exactly 1.0000000000000 Hartley units!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom