New Flopping Flopping Rule | The Boneyard

New Flopping Flopping Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wondering ..... has anyone seen a referee give a UConn opponent a warning for flopping during this season’s inauguration of the rule? For that matter has anyone seen a flopping violation called during any game in any conference this season? Have any technicals been assessed for a second violation? I haven’t included UConn players here because we all know that no UConn player has ever taken a flop. :confused: When a new rule is adopted usually the referees go whistle happy to enforce it. But I haven’t seen one flop called. Did all of the players suddenly get religion and stop flopping?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was wondering that myself. I haven't seen one called and I have watched a lot of games. I think I saw a warning, at least the commentator speculated it was a warning, but I agree with you when there's a new rule, they like to call it early to make sure everybody knows about it. It will not go down well if they decide to start calling them during the tournament.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's a flopping technical foul called on a defender.
The 1:10 video was posted 10 days ago.

You know, I disagree that was a flop. watched it several times. the defensive player was actually in position as the offensive player went into the air and shot the ball. the offensive player came down and hit the defensive player, who went down and was called for a flop. to my eyes, that was actually a charge.

I mean this is a better example IMHO:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't remember who was playing (it wasn't UConn), but I've seen a flopping warning given once. In the game tonight, NCState players flopped at least three times after shooting jumpers in the first quarter. I've noticed that it hasn't happened since, so I suspect a warning was given.

Reaction Score
I don't remember who was playing (it wasn't UConn), but I've seen a flopping warning given once. In the game tonight, NCState players flopped at least three times after shooting jumpers in the first quarter. I've noticed that it hasn't happened since, so I suspect a warning was given.
I can recall one and it was probably incorrect. I think a bigger problem is players taking off balanced shots and just falling on the floor.

Reaction Score
I can recall one and it was probably incorrect. I think a bigger problem is players taking off balanced shots and just falling on the floor.
Or leaning into a defender when driving into a wall on a dribble drive as mastered to perfection by the free throw genius Skylar Diggins
:)

Reaction Score
Here's a flopping technical foul called on a defender.
The 1:10 video was posted 10 days ago.

This was definitely a foul. Defender perfectly stationary and the kid jumped into her. The reaction was most probably exaggerated. How is the flopping rule written? Can an event be both a foul and a flop? Or does it have to be 1 or the other? Which takes precedence the foul or the flop?

I'm of the opinion an event can be both a foul and a flop. This little video demonstrates where I'm coming from. On the other hand, a "no-contact" flop should truly be "T" up and the kid sent back to acting school.

Reaction Score
This was definitely a foul. Defender perfectly stationary and the kid jumped into her. The reaction was most probably exaggerated. How is the flopping rule written? Can an event be both a foul and a flop? Or does it have to be 1 or the other? Which takes precedence the foul or the flop?

I'm of the opinion an event can be both a foul and a flop. This little video demonstrates where I'm coming from. On the other hand, a "no-contact" flop should truly be "T" up and the kid sent back to acting school.

Under the rule, a referee can call both a foul and a flop.

Reaction Score
Under the rule, a referee can call both a foul and a flop.
OK, thanks. I guess in the video above it was called a flop and no foul. The defender did go down gently. Can't blame her, if I had the choice between hard and gentle, I'd pick gentle every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom