New episode 4podcast- NBA G.O.A.T | The Boneyard

New episode 4podcast- NBA G.O.A.T

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Father & 7 yr old son explore the sports world together! Check us out. Lots of UConn stuff to follow! Now on Apple, Google, Spotify, & our platform maker Anchor.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Didn't you start a thread on this already?

Thanks. I apologize. This is a new episode featuring basketball. The introduction thread has now turned into a good deal of positive talk on how to start a podcast. It keeps getting bumped. I wanted to highlight a specific new episode. Ignore or enjoy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Who’s your GOAT ?
Well it can't be Wilt Chamberlain, because Denham Brown.

And, I'd chose Kareem over Kobe, though since even before the Bulls 3-peat, I've really only watched NBA once it gets down to quarter- or semi-finals, if that.

My comparable 'you & Joe' time was watching peak Bill Russell Celtics w/my dad, so I could go with that, though Toby Kimball put up pretty comparable numbers in my first years traveling to Storrs for weeknight games with my dad starting in 62-63.

GemParty

Reaction Score
My Dads theory is most NBA games you only need to watch the 4th quarter, unless it’s a playoff game. That’s a different level of play. Kareem was special for sure.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Who’s the greatest NBA player of all time & why? Did you ever get to see them play in person?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

And, I'd chose Kareem over Kobe, though since even before the Bulls 3-peat, I've really only watched NBA once it gets down to quarter- or semi-finals, if that.

My comparable 'you & Joe' time was watching peak Bill Russell Celtics w/my dad, so I could go with that, though Toby Kimball put up pretty comparable numbers in my first years traveling to Storrs for weeknight games with my dad starting in 62-63.

Kareem is so underrated historically imo. He checks every box for potential goat status. But he’s almost never discussed there.

Last edited:

GemParty

Reaction Score
Kareem is so underrated historically imo. He checks everybody for potential goat status. But he’s almost never discussed there.

We had Kareem in our top 8. He could be top 5. Incredible player. We valued Bill, MJ, Wilt a touch more.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Probably should have swapped out Kobe for Kareem. NBA scoring leader. 6 titles, 6 mvps.
I wonder how longtime Lakers fans rank their greats?

GemParty

Reaction Score

CBS sports- “Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points and 26 rebounds per game for 80 games in 1962.” Think about that.

Reaction Score
Kobe isn't even top 10. Couldn't hold Kareem, Bird or Magic's jock. Kareem is the best big man ever.

Reaction Score
Chamberlain was never protected by the league like later players LeBron and Jordan. Opponents were allowed to beat on him with relative impunity. With the kind of advantage in officiating Jordan enjoyed, who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up.

the Q

Reaction Score
Chamberlain was never protected by the league like later players LeBron and Jordan. Opponents were allowed to beat on him with relative impunity. With the kind of advantage in officiating Jordan enjoyed, who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up.

neuther was Shaq. Anything less then about 45 FTs per game was factually incorrect officiating

Reaction Score
How was Jordan protected by the league? He used to get clobbered on every drive. The Bad Boys Pistons would clothesline him.

the Q

Reaction Score
How was Jordan protected by the league? He used to get clobbered on every drive. The Bad Boys Pistons would clothesline him.

the palming and extra steps come to mind.
Def got superstar calls/preferential treatment in the 90s.

Reaction Score
the palming and extra steps come to mind.
Def got superstar calls/preferential treatment in the 90s.
His post was in context of Jordan being protected while Chamberlain was beaten on. Jordan was clobbered early in his career, absolutely clobbered. Not sure there was ever a more physical league than that time period.

As to the unrelated palming and travelling, yes Jordan got away with it more than in Chamberlain's era and players get away with it more today than Jordan's era. Jordan in today's more finesse league with no hand check would easily get 40 a night.

Reaction Score
You're joking. I once saw Shaq get a technical foul for giving Jordan a look. The league knew Jordan was their meal ticket and he traveled at will. He got away with fouling but was given the benefit of the doubt whenever he had the ball. The book Jordan Rules was a sly comment on the fact that Jordan was given one set of rules and the rest of the league had different rules. The NBA stated protecting its stars during the Magic/Bird era. By the time Jordan came along the NBA was his hype machine and they protected him like the secret service.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I think these discussions is what makes a blind resume fun.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
CBS sports- “Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points and 26 rebounds per game for 80 games in 1962.” Think about that.
Mind-blowing, and brings to mind that Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double in 61-62, and, according to what ai just read, the same across his first 5 NBA seasons combined. And, his PPG average would doubtless be higher if there had been 3-pointers.

Reaction Score
You're joking. I once saw Shaq get a technical foul for giving Jordan a look. The league knew Jordan was their meal ticket and he traveled at will. He got away with fouling but was given the benefit of the doubt whenever he had the ball. The book Jordan Rules was a sly comment on the fact that Jordan was given one set of rules and the rest of the league had different rules. The NBA stated protecting its stars during the Magic/Bird era. By the time Jordan came along the NBA was his hype machine and they protected him like the secret service.
Again, you are changing the subject. Your point was players were allowed to beat on Chamberlain, that's why I brought up how Jordan was beat on. Travelling is an entirely separate thing.

Yep, Bird was protected in his era. He had his arms held while Dr. J used his face as a punching bag. Bird and other stars in that time period were always getting clotheslined, head shoved into the floor, punched etc. The 80's nba was unbelievably physical.

Shaq and Wilt played 30+ years apart and they were both beaten on all the time with it not being called nearly enough. It's not because of the era they played in, it's because they were physically way bigger and stronger than everyone else in the league.

the Q

Reaction Score
His post was in context of Jordan being protected while Chamberlain was beaten on. Jordan was clobbered early in his career, absolutely clobbered. Not sure there was ever a more physical league than that time period.

As to the unrelated palming and travelling, yes Jordan got away with it more than in Chamberlain's era and players get away with it more today than Jordan's era. Jordan in today's more finesse league with no hand check would easily get 40 a night.

nearly in his career. He was greatly protected in the 90s. Plus the palming and steps. Shaq also took a greater beating than Jordan.

Reaction Score
Mind-blowing, and brings to mind that Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double in 61-62, and, according to what ai just read, the same across his first 5 NBA seasons combined. And, his PPG average would doubtless be higher if there had been 3-pointers.
I thought the Oscar triple double thing was one of the craziest things in sports history and would never be replicated. Since Westbrook has done it three years in a row it's lost a little luster for me.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I thought the Oscar triple double thing was one of the craziest things in sports history and would never be replicated. Since Westbrook has done it three years in a row it's lost a little luster for me.

I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom