New Devin Robinson Mixtape | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Devin Robinson Mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get that he CAN play the 4 and that he MIGHT put on some more weight, but we are holding him next to AMA, who is clearly already built to play the kind of 4 we need: someone who can make am immediate impact on rebounding.

I totally agree...

Some people on the B.Y. think anyone who is 6’7”-6’8” and under 190 lbs is a Power Forward. They like to throw out there “there are other teams with PFs this size” and “Stretch Four”. In reality, most competitive teams do not have 6’7” 180 lb Power Forwards. I think some see LeBron James & think all PFs have to be able to handle the ball like a guard. That is simply not reality. Many of the Top Teams in the Country tend to recruit PFs who play with Power, not like Wing players. Devin Robinson is a very good player, but he’s is a Wing/SF type player (Outside shooting, versatility, explosiveness off the dribble). He’d be great on UConn, but he would have difficulties guarding most PFs at the college level, especially developed upperclassman. It’s not about matching up with the other teams, it’s about making them match up with UConn. You recruit your team to give your team an advantage over the other teams. I’m not one to downsize my big guys to match the other team, because that makes you just like the other team. Who wants to become average? Robinson would give UConn a nice advantage as a SF, though.

Recent measurements from the recent LeBron James Skills Academy in July had Devin Robinson at 6’8” in shoes and 169 lbs, without shoes, so you're spot on. It doesn’t get any more up to date than that. Abu measured in also at 6’8” in shoes, but at 232 lbs. That is a whopping 63 lb difference. If anyone honestly thinks Robinson could bang down low with someone like Abu, I would beg to differ with them. Robinson will be a very good college player once he gains some weight, but he’s really not a PF in size or game. Abu fits the mold of a powerful player that is difficult in to guard in the paint and keeping other strong opponents out of the paint. He would give UConn a huge boost on the glass too. Something that was severely lacking last year, which is why Ollie has been all over Abu this past July, because Abu is someone UConn needs to compete. Robinson would be a nice bonus, but we have Hamilton coming in. They’re similar enough.

Reaction Score
Other than the ability to shoot from 3, Robinson and Hamilton's games aren't anything alike.

I totally agree...

Some people on the B.Y. think anyone who is 6’7”-6’8” and under 190 lbs is a Power Forward. They like to throw out there “there are other teams with PFs this size” and “Stretch Four”. In reality, most competitive teams do not have 6’7” 180 lb Power Forwards. I think some see LeBron James & think all PFs have to be able to handle the ball like a guard. That is simply not reality. Many of the Top Teams in the Country tend to recruit PFs who play with Power, not like Wing players. Devin Robinson is a very good player, but he’s is a Wing/SF type player (Outside shooting, versatility, explosiveness off the dribble). He’d be great on UConn, but he would have difficulties guarding most PFs at the college level, especially developed upperclassman. It’s not about matching up with the other teams, it’s about making them match up with UConn. You recruit your team to give your team an advantage over the other teams. I’m not one to downsize my big guys to match the other team, because that makes you just like the other team. Who wants to become average? Robinson would give UConn a nice advantage as a SF, though.

Recent measurements from the recent LeBron James Skills Academy in July had Devin Robinson at 6’8” in shoes and 169 lbs, without shoes, so you're spot on. It doesn’t get any more up to date than that. Abu measured in also at 6’8” in shoes, but at 232 lbs. That is a whopping 63 lb difference. If anyone honestly thinks Robinson could bang down low with someone like Abu, I would beg to differ with them. Robinson will be a very good college player once he gains some weight, but he’s really not a PF in size or game. Abu fits the mold of a powerful player that is difficult in to guard in the paint and keeping other strong opponents out of the paint. He would give UConn a huge boost on the glass too. Something that was severely lacking last year, which is why Ollie has been all over Abu this past July, because Abu is someone UConn needs to compete. Robinson would be a nice bonus, but we have Hamilton coming in. They’re similar enough.

Reaction Score
Not sure I'd have him playing 4. He's 170 now. Very small chance he gets up to even 200 by the time he gets to college. That's why I'd personally rather have AMA, who is already 230. Building a team isn't about just grabbing kids with the highest upside. I think if we missed out on DH, DR would be the next best fit on the wing. If we do get DR (and I hope we do), I hope KO still goes after a true 4
definitely rather have AMA. Would love Robinson off the bench for his athleticism, but his lankiness would definitely hurt at the 4. Only way it would benefit is that he would bring one of the big men out of the paint and could shoot or get to the bucket.

Reaction Score
Robinson would be a nice bonus, but we have Hamilton coming in. They’re similar enough.

No, they are not very similar at all. Hamilton is a guard who handles the ball. Robinson is in the Roscoe Smith, DeAndre Daniels, Stanley Robinson mold. Guys who look like small forwards based purely off their measurements, but don't handle the ball well enough to succeed on the perimeter.

And how can you say that the "top" teams don't play that way? Michigan made the championship game with Glenn Robinson III playing the four - who's basically a 6'6'' shooting guard. CJ Fair played the four for Syracuse - he may be 6'9'' but he never plays with his back to the basket. Duke's PF did nothing but shoot 3's. Otto Porter played a ton of PF. Chane Behanan is certainly a power player, but he's 6'6''. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Reaction Score
No, they are not very similar at all. Hamilton is a guard who handles the ball. Robinson is in the Roscoe Smith, DeAndre Daniels, Stanley Robinson mold. Guys who look like small forwards based purely off their measurements, but don't handle the ball well enough to succeed on the perimeter.

And how can you say that the "top" teams don't play that way? Michigan made the championship game with Glenn Robinson III playing the four - who's basically a 6'6'' shooting guard. CJ Fair played the four for Syracuse - he may be 6'9'' but he never plays with his back to the basket. Duke's PF did nothing but shoot 3's. Otto Porter played a ton of PF. Chane Behanan is certainly a power player, but he's 6'6''. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I said they are "similar enough". Obviously, Hamilton is a better ball handler, but both are SF/Wing type of players. With Purvis & Calhoun taking a bulk of the minutes at the 2G by 2014, Hamilton & Robinson would be seeing a majority of time at SF and that's what their game is. Like I said others in the past, you don't have to handle the ball like a guard to be an effective SF. Everyone knows Otter Potter is a SF. Everyone knows G.Robinson is a SF. CJ Fair is also a SF, in fact he didn't play much PF because they had Christmas & Sutherland playing a bulk of the minutes at the PF. Behanan plays PF because his game is PF, despite being 6'6". Kelly would be a perfect example of a Stretch 4. Stop looking at players as 4's and look at how they play. Just because someone is the 2nd tallest player in the starting lineup does not define what their position as a PF. Their game defines their position. Try watching how they play instead of being concerned with a Number.

Reaction Score
some of the best post up players in the league aren't even power forwards or centers. I think youre overly concerned with position names. Despite what you think there aren't alot of 6'10 bruisers with highly technical back to the basket games in college , and even the league. and on the offensive end see Chris Bosh-- a highly productive face up 5! If Robinson is good enough on defense he could play in the front court.

Reaction Score
I said they are "similar enough". Obviously, Hamilton is a better ball handler, but both are SF/Wing type of players. With Purvis & Calhoun taking a bulk of the minutes at the 2G by 2014, Hamilton & Robinson would be seeing a majority of time at SF and that's what their game is. Like I said others in the past, you don't have to handle the ball like a guard to be an effective SF. Everyone knows Otter Potter is a SF. Everyone knows G.Robinson is a SF. CJ Fair is also a SF, in fact he didn't play much PF because they had Christmas & Sutherland playing a bulk of the minutes at the PF. Behanan plays PF because his game is PF, despite being 6'6". Kelly would be a perfect example of a Stretch 4. Stop looking at players as 4's and look at how they play. Just because someone is the 2nd tallest player in the starting lineup does not define what their position as a PF. Their game defines their position. Try watching how they play instead of being concerned with a Number.

What are you talking about? I'm arguing that the number is essentially meaningless while you're arguing that guys need to fit into certain molds to play certain positions. I know that Glenn Robinson and Otto Porter play like small forwards - so does DeAndre Daniels and so will Devin Robinson. The point is simple - should Robinson come to Uconn, he will most likely be used the same way Daniels is - as a "stretch four" alongside three other guys who can handle the ball and one "traditional" post player.

Reaction Score
Like the last time this was discussed, you seem to be missing the point. We understand that these guys are wing sized, and that they project as SFs at the next level, the point is that most college squads are using guys like this at the 4/PF spot. You can say Glenn Robinson is a SF all you want and that is how he plays, and it would be true, but he played the 4 spot, and you would never hear a Mich fan cry about how he's undersized and playing out of position.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope we get both DR and AMA and get the chance to watch how KO plays them and which lineups are most productive. Then I hope we pull this thread out to see who are the real geniuses. :)

Reaction Score
What's funny is that back when there was a 7 year stretch where we played 6'9'' guys who couldn't dribble at SF (Stanley moreso than Rudy but you get the point), there was plenty of talk here about how Calhoun should end his obsession with having a huge size advantage at the 3 spot because we didn't have enough ball handlers. In recent years we've had some success playing those types of guys at the 4, and now we want to go back to the old way.

Reaction Score
What's funny is that back when there was a 7 year stretch where we played 6'9'' guys who couldn't dribble at SF (Stanley moreso than Rudy but you get the point), there was plenty of talk here about how Calhoun should end his obsession with having a huge size advantage at the 3 spot because we didn't have enough ball handlers. In recent years we've had some success playing those types of guys at the 4, and now we want to go back to the old way.

Its crazy, we just won a title in which our best lineup featured a small 2PG set, a SG on the wing with the ability to handle, and a 200lb(at best) PF and now guys are acting like you can't win with that lineup. The issue isn't DD(and wishfully thinking Robinson), its what we would have at the C spot to hold down the middle.

Reaction Score
Like the last time this was discussed, you seem to be missing the point. We understand that these guys are wing sized, and that they project as SFs at the next level, the point is that most college squads are using guys like this at the 4/PF spot. You can say Glenn Robinson is a SF all you want and that is how he plays, and it would be true, but he played the 4 spot, and you would never hear a Mich fan cry about how he's undersized and playing out of position.

And like the last time we discussed, you are still misguided on your knowledge of basketball. I realize you've only been paying attention since the LeBron James Era, but you are too concentrated on putting a Number to a players game & thinking everyone has to handle the ball. Once you can learn to understand that is not true, maybe we can have an intelligent conversation, but you love to throw out "mind boggling" and other insults at others who seem to understand the game pretty well. You are obviously hung up on there being a 1-2-3-4-5 on the floor every moment of the game. I'm sorry you feel that way. I am saying Devin Robinson is not a PF. Power Foward is playing with Power (notice the word "Power" in there), Banging Down Low, Scoring on the Box, Knocking People Around, Keeping Opponents Lane, Rebounding...

Now get off my case. I wasn't even talking to you with my response but you constantly have to chime in. You're a very annoying at times.

Reaction Score
Cool, I see your feelings got touched, you're still lost though. Have a good day.

And like the last time we discussed, you are still misguided on your knowledge of basketball. I realize you've only been paying attention since the LeBron James Era, but you are too concentrated on putting a Number to a players game & thinking everyone has to handle the ball. Once you can learn to understand that is not true, maybe we can have an intelligent conversation, but you love to throw out "mind boggling" and other insults at others who seem to understand the game pretty well. You are obviously hung up on there being a 1-2-3-4-5 on the floor every moment of the game. I'm sorry you feel that way. I am saying Devin Robinson is not a PF. Power Foward is playing with Power (notice the word "Power" in there), Banging Down Low, Scoring on the Box, Knocking People Around, Keeping Opponents Lane, Rebounding...

Now get off my case. I wasn't even talking to you with my response but you constantly have to chime in. You're a very annoying at times.

Reaction Score
Cool, I see your feelings got touched, you're still lost though. Have a good day.

Once again, always have to get the last barb in.... Nice & Mature.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry you feel that way. I am saying Devin Robinson is not a PF. Power Foward is playing with Power (notice the word "Power" in there), Banging Down Low, Scoring on the Box, Knocking People Around, Keeping Opponents Lane, Rebounding...

You're going to tell someone else they don't know what they're talking about and then write this? (And I'm not even talking about the bizarre capitalization.)

Reaction Score

What???

Reaction Score
You're going to tell someone else they don't know what they're talking about and then write this? (And I'm not even talking about the bizarre capitalization.)

Yes, when someone repeatedly mocks you... sometimes it gets annoying having to re-explain something over & over and their best arguement is "He is a 4" constantly.

Reaction Score
Yes, when someone repeatedly mocks you... sometimes it gets annoying having to re-explain something over & over and their best arguement is "He is a 4" constantly.

With all due respect, you lecture people about how they just started watching during the Lebron era and don't understand the game and then you post "insight" that's completely at odds with the way college basketball is played these days.

What was the problem guys like Rudy and Stanley had in college? They were 6-8, 6-9 "wings" who, in college, were guarded by 6-3 guys they couldn't beat off the dribble. So where did they have the most success? When you put them on the block and let them score from there, from put-backs, etc. That's why Deandre had so much success late in the season.

But it's like you ignore this and are completely fixated on this myth of the Anthony Mason-type 4-man in college, and those guys are few and far between.

caw

Reaction Score

The Cuse comparison with Southerland is not helping your case. Southerland was more of a stretch four than Fair is/was. Neither are classic fours. In fact Robinson may be closer to a Southerland type player than Fair is. Both are extremely athletic and can shoot. Neither has guard like handles. Hamilton is closer to Fair. Obviously both the Cuse players are stronger bc they have 4+ years on the high school kids though.

Robinson would probably play some three and some four. AMA is strictly a four unless he grows into a five. Hamilton is a college three and possibly a two. Purvis is a one/two or two/one. Calhoun is a two/three.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Listen I want both of these guys. But we should be thrilled with either of them. And for the record, there's no way that Devin Robinson is actually 170 pounds. Most places list him at 180 and 15 months from now he'll obviously be even more than that.

But I can't agree with you when you say that Robinson thriving at the four is a hypothetical based purely on DeAndre Daniels. It's not like Ollie has started a new trend, there are guys like Daniels playing the four all over the country.

These big lanky rail-thin guys usually don't put on weight easily. Just saying.

You're the one who said "oh well if DD is thriving, so can this guy"

I'll end my contributions ITT with this: if I were AMA and I saw DR coming up to guard me, I'd be looking to push him around and score every. single. possession.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, you lecture people about how they just started watching during the Lebron era and don't understand the game and then you post "insight" that's completely at odds with the way college basketball is played these days.

What was the problem guys like Rudy and Stanley had in college? They were 6-8, 6-9 "wings" who, in college, were guarded by 6-3 guys they couldn't beat off the dribble. So where did they have the most success? When you put them on the block and let them score from there, from put-backs, etc. That's why Deandre had so much success late in the season.

But it's like you ignore this and are completely fixated on this myth of the Anthony Mason-type 4-man in college, and those guys are few and far between.

No certain other people who constantly lecture others on here claiming they are Kings o' Knowledge of the game and berate others, who are also quite knowledgeable of the game, are those who raise my ire. Yes, I know you love to play devil's advocate and I've read plenty of your retorts (and sometimes I agree). There are others fascinated with the fact that a skinny sub 200 lb. player who scores off the dribble, shoots from long distance and struggles to rebound & defend the paint are PFs. That's a SF to me. I know some teams have smaller PFs, but more often or not, they are not skinny like Daniels or Robinson are. Robinson weighs 169 lbs and doesn't play inside, but he has some handles too. Recruiting sources refer to him as a SF too (or are they all wrong too?) Please explain to me how he is a PF? Hey, I think D. Robinson can be an excellent player. I'm not debating that. But look at the history of UConn PF's and you see strong players who didn't mind contact. Boone, Adrien, Freeman, Oriahki (yeah, I know), etc come to mind. Maybe you didn't notice last year but UConn was at the bottom of the NCAA rankings in rebounding. Game in & game out, UConn struggled in rebounding. Our leading rebounder averaged a paltry 5.5 rebounds (un-UConn like) and only at the end of the season did he over take Napier as the team leader. Daniels late season success was because he became a triple threat by scoring out by the 3 point line, taking players off the dribble & scoring inside. That's what a SF can do. That is not a PF to me. Daniels didn't do so by being strictly a Post Guy over 6'3" guards.

Also, if you don't think someone like Abu is exactly what UConn needs, then I guess you're not concerned with rebounding & constantly being bullied inside. I am. I'm fine with a few skinny guys, but at some point, you need someone who can play down low, defend the position & not let other teams bully the front court around. It's all about having proper balance on your team, but giving your team an advantage at some position every game. It doesn't have to be Anthon Mason or LeBron James at PF. It needs to be someone who wants to play there & take it to the other team. And to the person who thinks Abu is going to be a Center... If Abu thinks he's going to be playing Center at UConn, he will never, ever sign with UConn. He's looking for a team that will enhance his play to get to the next level. If he wants to be a dominating Center, he might as well play in the MEAC or America East or Northeast Conference.

Mock Rudy, but he played a significant role on a team that was a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. You may think he struggled to guard 6'3" guards, but they struggled to guard him. It's all about making your team better than the other team, not lowering down to match the other team. S.Robinson had some motivational issues, but he was one of the more spectacular athletes in recent memory. He had a solid Senior Season, though never lived up to his potential (hopefully we can agree on that). If he ever put his mind to dominate, he could have done so. For whatever reason, he seemed to lack confidence or just disappear. That itself is another issue or forum.

Reaction Score
Theres not a lot of Power Forwards who will just post up Robinson and score with ease. He is 6'9 long and athletic.

In college I agree with the notion guys like Robinson, Daniels and Gay excel more when playing as a mismatch four than a three.

Reaction Score
Just found this... Yeah, from ESPN, but they've had excellent coverage of the Summer Circuit this year and very spot on. Year's prior suspect... but they've they have been becoming more credible, each & every year and they've had scouts all over the place this summer (kinda like Ollie).

Devin Robinson...
6-8, 180 | Class of 2014

ESPN Analyst
Updated 07/16/2013
Strengths:
Robinson is a long, athletic and active wing that excels on the break in addition to his ball skills that allow him to hit open threes and put the ball on the floor to create. Robinson is also a good passer that makes the right decision when he draws a second defender. He also is capable of defending both wing positions and a small power forward in a pinch. Robinson is capable of big numbers without drawing a lot of attention to himself. He can quietly have dominating possessions.
Weaknesses:
Adding strength is key for Robinson in addition to becoming a consistent performer all in which he is very capable.
Bottom Line:
Robinson will bring length, athletic ability and skill to the high major college level where he will be an excellent wing playmaker and match up problem at the wing position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom