New coordinator Lou Spanos embracing unique ‘challenge’ of coaching UConn defense (Putterman) | The Boneyard

New coordinator Lou Spanos embracing unique ‘challenge’ of coaching UConn defense (Putterman)

Reaction Score
New coordinator Lou Spanos embracing unique ‘challenge’ of coaching UConn defense

>>UConn players say they appreciate Spanos’s sometimes-quirky style. Linebacker Kevon Jones said Spanos introduced himself with an “old-man joke” that the sophomore still hasn’t figured out. Defensive tackle Travis Jones described the coach as funny but also “tense.” Asked for his first impression of Spanos, safety Tyler Coyle smiled and said the coordinator was “a little crazy.” “He can go from loud as hell to soft," Coyle said. "He can be very quiet, but he’ll wake you up in the morning.”<<

>>Spanos said he has known Randy Edsall for years, mostly just from running into him here and there, so when the head coach reached out, he had some sense of the man he would be working for. Then Edsall and Spanos sat down to discuss their respective ideas for turning around the Huskies’ defense and found ample similarity. And when Edsall called around to people who knew Spanos, he liked what he heard.

“When you get that kind of response that I got from all the people that I talked to and then when I had the chance to sit down with him one-on-one, I said this was a guy we had to have here," Edsall said.<<

Reaction Score
I’m just looking for fundamental football on defense. Players breaking down and making tackles, maintaining responsibilities, and swarming to the ball.

I completely understand the talent issue on D currently. But is at least like to see a player use good technique.

I have a feeling Travis Jones is going to really break out this year. Like All Conference break out.

Reaction Score
Last year UConn gave up 50+ point a game. He doesn't have to do much to improve them. Terrible would be an upgrade from all time worst.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We're small, slow, and we don't have great football instincts (it takes several seconds for us to figure out what the other team is doing on each play).

Hopefully Spanos can turn water into wine.

Reaction Score
We're small, slow, and we don't have great football instincts (it takes several seconds for us to figure out what the other team is doing on each play).

Or at least walk on the water.

Reaction Score

Or at least walk on the water.[/QUOTE]

Let's hope not - talk like that got a coach fired before he even started here.

Reaction Score

Or at least walk on the water.

Let's hope not - talk like that got a coach fired before he even started here.[/QUOTE]

No one got fired for Jesus in the Huddle comments.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not - talk like that got a coach fired before he even started here.

No one got fired for Jesus in the Huddle comments.[/QUOTE]
It was just coincendental that he resigned over a family matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom