New Coaching Must Have's | The Boneyard

New Coaching Must Have's

What would be the number one quality you are looking for in our next coach?

• X's and O's

Votes: 57 46.3%
  • Recruitment Ability

Votes: 47 38.2%
  • National Reputation

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • UConn Ties

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Ability to coaches specific positions (i.e.big man coach)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Curious to see what your wants in a coach would be!

Reaction Score
I went with "other" with "other" being the ability to motivate the players to play hard...

Last night I watched UVa beat an objectively more talented UNC team by pure effort and execution. Then today I watched Cincinnati beat a similarly talented Houston team by pure "on the court" toughness....Tony Bennett and Mick Cronin seem to get the most out of their players. They may not have 5 * recruits but they can beat teams who have them by getting the most out of their guys.

I want to see UConn be tough again...I will never forget watching Boatright and Shabazz actually slap the floor and defensively attack the Kentucky guards before they even reached half court in the 2014 title run. Those Harrison twins at Kentucky looked terrified and watching our defensive intensity I do not blame them...I miss seeing a coach who can inspire...

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
The ability to put together a staff that can do most those things

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I want a coach that is tough enough to push away those kids who arent mentally strong enough away yet attract those kids who relish in proving people wrong and working hard.

Them 3 nor'easters in 10 days, end of driveway shovelin, grind it out, tough guys are what were built upon.

Too soft outside of a very few lately.

Reaction Score
A coach who can see someone like Emeka Okafor and develop that raw athleticism into the winning collegiate ball player he was. JC had to talk Okafor into UConn - but he saw the potential and, once he was there, he developed that potential into something outstanding.

A HC who has that ability to see that in a person where no one else does and then be able to develop it... we need that ability in a coach.

Reaction Score
i want a coach as crazy as bruce weber was with his old illinois team/current k state team. need someone with a short fuse so the players know they got a hothead ready to destroy them for a bad play

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
i want a coach as crazy as bruce weber was with his old illinois team/current k state team. need someone with a short fuse so the players know they got a hothead ready to destroy them for a bad play

Looks like someone has no idea what the locker room was like the last two years.

Reaction Score
Recruit players that want to improve. Work with them to get better. Want to stay at Connecticut and play. I've had with excuses "We need to start better"," we need to focus". That's coaching/teaching.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Tough one. I was 1 or 2 but went with 2. You have to be able to recruit some horses.

Reaction Score
Forget X's and O's. Every coach has that or they shouldn't be coaching.
#1, 2 and 3 is recruiting because you aren't winning anything without talent. Next would be motivation skills and developing talent.

Reaction Score
Developing players is number 1 for a program like UConn. I look at Villanova, Virginia, Gonzaga. They get very few guaranteed pros but they recruit good players who stay, work hard, and develop.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Number 1 by far. Also NOT number 4. It's a requirement that they not have UConn ties.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Head coach needs to know how to close on recruits, motivation and in game coaching.
All others can be covered by his staff.
Of all the things KO did poorly as an HC not hiring a staff that covers his weaknesses was his biggest downfall.
It's okay and perfectly normal for a leader to not be great at everything. Knowing your weaknesses and building a staff that fills those gaps is an essential skill of leadership.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom