New CBA and Age Limit | The Boneyard

New CBA and Age Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another basketball message board I frequent seems to think it is guaranteed that players will need 2 years in college, and here is a quote/tweet thing.

SeanDeveney
Age limit is still a big deal in CBA talks. I am told if there is a move to 20 yrs old, it wouldn't go into effect until after this draft

Reaction Score
Noooo, we need it to go into affect for this year so we get AD for two years!

Reaction Score
Good, it will improve college ball IMO, and also force schools to at least encourage players to attend class for more than a semester.

As well, some talent will be lost to the NBDL I bet. but that too will be a good thing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i don't see how this is a good thing for UCONN at all. we never really ever get a guy who is a 1 and done kid. Drummond may be our first. it really helps schools like Kentucky the most who make a living off of the 1 and done. it will also help teams like Duke and UNC who also have gotten some 1 and done kids recently. maybe Bynum may have been a 1 and done also if he ever stayed. but we really don't get those kids. won't help us one bit.

Reaction Score
Well, it means their misses are that much worse. If Brandon Knight has to stay, that means Teague goes somewhere else. Or, if John Wall had to stay, that means Knight had to go somewhere else.

I don't necessarily think it helps anyone. But it likely hurts the mid-majors.

UConn will be fine. The mass exodus of freshmen/HSers didn't really start until around 2000 (Maggette, for instance, was a shock). UConn had won a title in that timeframe.

Reaction Score
i don't see how this is a good thing for UCONN at all. we never really ever get a guy who is a 1 and done kid. Drummond may be our first. it really helps schools like Kentucky the most who make a living off of the 1 and done. it will also help teams like Duke and UNC who also have gotten some 1 and done kids recently. maybe Bynum may have been a 1 and done also if he ever stayed. but we really don't get those kids. won't help us one bit.

I'm assuming that the rule allows kids to declare immediately for the draft or become pros.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm assuming that the rule allows kids to declare immediately for the draft or become pros.
that part i don't know. they are talking about making the age minimum 20, correct? if so, then no, kids could not declare immediately out of HS as they generally are only 18-19 years old at that point.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced Drummond doesn't stay for two years regardless the terms of the CBA. He's got lots to work on. This is a kid who almost stayed at prep school this year.

caw

Reaction Score
It only helps teams like UConn as it affects the UK's of the world. For example: if Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Orton all returned to UK, do you think they get all of Lamb/Knight/Jones? Or if Knight comes back do they get Teague.

It would also make players like Bledsoe, Cousins, etc. be students for a full year to maintain eligibility for their second years.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There's another flavor under discussion: "Pay to Stay"

If a player goes to College they are eligible for the draft each year but must stay 3 years in College and leave in good standing to get the guaranteed contract. Otherwise, their rights are maintained by the team and all they have is the second round rookie minimum as a guarantee if they leave before 3 years.

In other words a Lamb or Drummond could be drafted this year and leave college for the second round rookie minimum or be drafted, finish 3 years at UConn (without recieving any NBA money) and then get their guaranteed Lotto contract after the 3rd year. That's the "pay to stay" option. Financially it's structured to blow away the "leave early" option.

This flavor might be coupled with High School entry. If a HS player gets a Lotto contract and goes straight to the NBA they get the usual deal. If not Lotto they will be encouraged to go to College and the team retains the rights.

18 High School Players Drafted Lottery. It's difficult to argue that it was the wrong decision for them. some were not superstars but they all made NBA careers. Robert Swift is an interesting story: would he have blown out his ACL in college and never had an NBA career?

Brown, Kwame
James, LeBron
Howard, Dwight
Chandler, TysonT
Miles, Darius
Curry, Eddy
Livingston, Shaun
Bender, Jonathan
Dawkins, Darryl
Garnett, Kevin
Webster, Martell
Diop, DeSagana