New article: The Johnny Unitas Bowl | The Boneyard

New article: The Johnny Unitas Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't care how we do it or with what QB. We just need to win.

Thx Nan.

Reaction Score
You have to focus on getting the best recruits you can get. PERIOD. They may come from connecitcut, they may come from Timbuktu, it doesn't matter.

Put it this way: in the last 5 years, 11 of 41 former 2-star Conn. HS players made NFL 53-man rosters. 11 of 41. That's over 25%. The national rate is 2%. This means Connecticut is underrecruited, not the reverse. And yet, UConn did not land a majority of the 11 kids who went to the NFL. One could easily argue that UConn would have been better off with Amari Spievey, David Reed, John Moffitt, etc.

This is why I say they have to do a better job of recruiting period. If those players are from Connecticut, then fine. The state has shown that it produces a good number of top athletes.

Reaction Score
You have to focus on getting the best recruits you can get. PERIOD. They may come from connecitcut, they may come from Timbuktu, it doesn't matter.

Put it this way: in the last 5 years, 11 of 41 former 2-star Conn. HS players made NFL 53-man rosters. 11 of 41. That's over 25%. The national rate is 2%. This means Connecticut is underrecruited, not the reverse. And yet, UConn did not land a majority of the 11 kids who went to the NFL. One could easily argue that UConn would have been better off with Amari Spievey, David Reed, John Moffitt, etc.

This is why I say they have to do a better job of recruiting period. If those players are from Connecticut, then fine. The state has shown that it produces a good number of top athletes.
You may have a point to some degree at least but what about superstar caliber players? Do you know the numbers for Connecticut? I know of Dwight Freeney and Aaron Hernandez off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
You may have a point to some degree at least but what about superstar caliber players? Do you know the numbers for Connecticut? I know of Dwight Freeney and Aaron Hernandez off the top of my head.

There are just a couple every year. They make the NFL at the same rate as the rest of the country. There are a lot more such as Matt Shaughnessy, Jordan Reed, John Sullivan, Bruce Campbell, etc. But then there are kids who don't get to the NFL at that 4 and 5 star level, like J. Meyers, JJ Justice, Richard Kittrell, Torrey Mack, Masengo Kabongo, and I have my doubts about Khairi Fortt and Silas Redd as well.

Reaction Score

Steve Young :D

Reaction Score

I tend to agree with this to some extent. the difference, of course, is in the number of players that come from Connecticut vs some other states. Florida sends over 300 players each year to D1A schools on scholarships. total from 2010-2013 was 1320. Over the same past 4 years Connecticut had 32 signees. So you really have to recruit Florida if you're in the east, just like you need to hit up Texas (377 players last year) if you're in the mid-west and California (251) in the west. Other places where there are lots of D1 players are PA, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland/DC, Ohio, North Carolina. those are the kinds of places we need to recruit like mad, in part because we have a shot, and in part because they produce lots of D1 talent. We might get the odd kid from Texas, California, Alabama, Georgia, but our bread and butter is going to be from those places. We can build a fence around Connecticut, around all NewEngland even, but there just aren't that many 1A players here. last year 21 in total, barely enough to fill a recruiting class, even if you include the kids who are more MAC level than our level.[/quote]

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this to some extent. the difference, of course, is in the number of players that come from Connecticut vs some other states. Florida sends over 300 players each year to D1A schools on scholarships. total from 2010-2013 was 1320. Over the same past 4 years Connecticut had 32 signees. So you really have to recruit Florida if you're in the east, just like you need to hit up Texas (377 players last year) if you're in the mid-west and California (251) in the west. Other places where there are lots of D1 players are PA, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland/DC, Ohio, North Carolina. those are the kinds of places we need to recruit like mad, in part because we have a shot, and in part because they produce lots of D1 talent. We might get the odd kid from Texas, California, Alabama, Georgia, but our bread and butter is going to be from those places. We can build a fence around Connecticut, around all NewEngland even, but there just aren't that many 1A players here. last year 21 in total, barely enough to fill a recruiting class, even if you include the kids who are more MAC level than our level.
[/quote]

In 2012, there were 41 kids coming out of Conn., Mass., NY and NH. In 2011, there were 58.
I excluded all MAC kids and Army. This is just P5, BE, MW and CUSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom