New Arena Looming? | The Boneyard

New Arena Looming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I came across this article in the courant today...wonder how this bodes for UConn?

Edit: Looming is too strong, possible would be more accurate.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Getting the NHL to come back to Hartford with a new arena for CT ranks just above convincing Nick Saban to leave Alabama for UConn on the recently released 'Things Likely to Happen in Connecticut Sports' list.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Getting the NHL to come back to Hartford with a new arena for CT ranks just above convincing Nick Saban to leave Alabama for UConn on the recently released 'Things Likely to Happen in Connecticut Sports' list.

Unlikely, sure, but come on with the negativity. To equate 'Saban to UConn' with 'hockey to CT' is ridiculous. Hartford/New Haven is the largest (and pretty affluent) market without a professional team and we are talking about hockey - a sport with a number of teams losing a lot of money. Also, this was reported in the NY Post which as far as I can tell would have no reason to make it up.

But I apologize for trying to interject some positivity here. My bad.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I came across this article in the courant today...wonder how this bodes for UConn?

Regardless of the NHL coming or not, Connecticut desperately needs a new sports arena to house UConn athletics and, for now, minor league hockey. Whether that's an entirely new arena like this article suggests or if it's a facelift for the XL Center, a more consumer friendly arena is sorely needed to persuade fans to get off their couches and watch games on their HDTVs and get them inside the arena to help support the teams. Right now, it's much better to watch games on TV than going to games at XL.

Reaction Score
Oh boy, more opportunity to outsource even more UConn games out of Storrs. Pretty soon games on campus will be road games.

Reaction Score
Oh boy, more opportunity to outsource even more UConn games out of Storrs. Pretty soon games on campus will be road games.
From the article. The arena may not necessarily be in Hartford. (Although it would be silly to put it elsewhere)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Next to Rentschler wouldn't be silly... And nobody is proposing exporting more games off campus than currently is being done.

Reaction Score
I would imagine this has absolutely no ties to UConn athletics. If NHL came back to CT, which it should, a new stadium would probably be built in Southern/Southwestern CT not Hartford or Eastern CT.

From New Haven to Greenwich is the most concentrated population of CT. There is also shoreline east and Metro North that would enable more potential fans to attend games.You can also get some NYC people who could potential travel to games via train which would also make Rangers and Islanders games more easily accessible to to those visiting fans.

If NHL truly wants to survive without problems they need to get rid of the southern teams, for the most part, and relocate those teams to Canada, Great Lakes and Northeast. Those are the areas that care about hockey. In Canada some junior league games average more fans than NHL teams. Not enough of the population in the south can connect with hockey because most have never even seen ice rinks in their lives.

Reaction Score
From the article. The arena may not necessarily be in Hartford. (Although it would be silly to put it elsewhere)

Malloy is from Stamford. Although I agree it would be silly, I wouldn't put it past him to try and put it there. Remember this article is about the NHL, not UConn.

Reaction Score
. Not enough of the population in the south can connect with hockey because most have never even seen ice rinks in their lives.
Not true. When we move up to middle school, we upgrade our birthday parties from the roller rink to the ice rink. Incidentally, you look up the bottom of NHL attendance the last few years, and the teams you see over and over again are Winnepeg, NY Rangers, Phoenix, Columbus, Colorado, Anaheim, and NJ. They shuffle around, but a safe bet your bottom 5 is coming from that list.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I would imagine this has absolutely no ties to UConn athletics. If NHL came back to CT, which it should, a new stadium would probably be built in Southern/Southwestern CT not Hartford or Eastern CT.

From New Haven to Greenwich is the most concentrated population of CT. There is also shoreline east and Metro North that would enable more potential fans to attend games.You can also get some NYC people who could potential travel to games via train which would also make Rangers and Islanders games more easily accessible to to those visiting fans.

If NHL truly wants to survive without problems they need to get rid of the southern teams, for the most part, and relocate those teams to Canada, Great Lakes and Northeast. Those are the areas that care about hockey. In Canada some junior league games average more fans than NHL teams. Not enough of the population in the south can connect with hockey because most have never even seen ice rinks in their lives.

Southwest Connecticut is NY Ranger Territory. The Rangers would not allow it, especially when the Islanders move to Brooklyn and their minor league team is in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Not true. When we move up to middle school, we upgrade our birthday parties from the roller rink to the ice rink. Incidentally, you look up the bottom of NHL attendance the last few years, and the teams you see over and over again are Winnepeg, NY Rangers, Phoenix, Columbus, Colorado, Anaheim, and NJ. They shuffle around, but a safe bet your bottom 5 is coming from that list.
Well in fairness Winnepeg's average attendance was 0.00 from 1996 to 2011.

They actually sold out all games last year but finished 6th from last in attendance. The franchises that need to move are the islanders dallas phoenix florida tampa and nashville. I know tampa and nashville are doing ok now but once stampkos weber and gill move on from those atendance numbers are gonna make a sharp decline.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

They actually sold out all games last year but finished 6th from last in attendance. The franchises that need to move are the islanders dallas phoenix florida tampa and nashville. I know tampa and nashville are doing ok now but once stampkos weber and gill move on from thos
Barclays Arena in Brooklyn is being retrofitted for the Islanders.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The NHL wants to contract teams, not grow or keep weak sisters alive. Malloy is lost.

Reaction Score

They actually sold out all games last year but finished 6th from last in attendance. The franchises that need to move are the islanders dallas phoenix florida tampa and nashville. I know tampa and nashville are doing ok now but once stampkos weber and gill move on from those atendance numbers are gonna make a sharp decline.
Islanders are moving to Brooklyn, as has been pointed out. And Weber signed a long term contract. You are far behind.

Reaction Score
Barclays Arena in Brooklyn is being retrofitted for the Islanders.
I completely forgot about that. I really hope it sparks some life into the franchise, but I am just not sold the fan support is there. Hopefully Brooklyn takes to hockey.

Reaction Score
Islanders are moving to Brooklyn, as has been pointed out. And Weber signed a long term contract. You are far behind.
My point was once those players leave and the teams are no longer winning their attendance numbers are going to be brutal. I'm well aware of the Weber signing as a flyer fan who thought we plugged the hole in our blue line with him for the brief moment he signed their offer.

Reaction Score
I think you meant to say the Islanders, not the Rangers, because the Rangers regularly sellout, last year they averaged virtually 100% capacity for the entire season. Winnipeg is also a bad example since their arena only holds 15K, and they also sell out every game. Phoenix, Columbus, Colorado, the Islanders, and Dallas are generally the worst.

Reaction Score
Southwest Connecticut is NY Ranger Territory. The Rangers would not allow it, especially when the Islanders move to Brooklyn and their minor league team is in Bridgeport.

The Ranger fanbase is mostly made up of fans from Fairfield and Westchester Counties. I agree, NO WAY does New York allow penetration into their market.

Reaction Score

A) It's the Islanders that have terrible attendance. It remains to be seen, however, if Brooklyn will be a better move for them (I think it will, but for the Isles, anything is better than being stuck out on Long Island with a local population that doesn't really appear to want you there; they turned down a new arena that was going to be practically self-financed out of the owner's bank account).
B) Winnipeg's low attendance is misleading, because it's also "full attendance". That is, they're not struggling to sell tickets.

A fourth team in the NYC metro (including the Devils in Newark) would be literally the definition of an oversaturated market, considering the attendance and revenue struggles of the teams in the area not nicknamed "Rangers".

Nobody would come out of the city to come see the Probably-Not-The-Whalers-But-Maybe-Yes-The-Whalers, especially not to go to Stamford or New Haven. The Islanders can barely get people to go out of the city to see them, and they're *NAMED NEW YORK*.

Not to mention, as others have above, the Rangers would never let that happen.

Well, on the junior league thing: no, not really. Quebec has great attendance, cracking 10K on average, but that's still a few K below even the worst attended NHL teams. A few other teams hover in the 8-9K range, but for the most part we're looking at attendance not much higher than, say, the Whale.

I do feel like the NHL wants to "pull back" from the Southern teams a bit, and I think there's a lot of great markets that have been underserved. Problem is, at least two of them (Milwaukee and Seattle) are far too close to existing NHL franchises (Chicago and Vancouver). Still, I think within the next ten years, we'll see a team move to Quebec, and someone in Kansas City or Portland.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it. The NHL has no reason to come back unless the Sun Belt plan totally collapses. They'll go to the Pacific NW or return to Canada before shoehorning back into CT.

I've been disappointed too many times with these fantastical stories.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Winnepeg's arena was holding them back. Sorry. Maybe it was the Islanders I saw. I just remember being surprised whenever I did see the list. I agree they went too far South too fast. The Triangle have embraced the Hurricanes (sorry) once we realized what the sport was, because it was our pro franchise and not Charlotte's. But I question the viability in southern cities with multiple pro teams. Not sure the support is there for the sport in a town with several pro distractions, particularly if the NHL is going to remain poorly run. These lockouts are hurting.

Reaction Score

Bettman is one of the few sports figures I dislike more than I like DeFlippo. DeFlippo ruined a conference (Big E), Bettman ruined an entire sport (hockey).

Reaction Score
I dont think NHL is coming back to CT but if it did and a new arena was constructed I would say it would New Haven. As I said before population wise and proximity to NYC while still be far enough away. Also transportation options make it easier to attend games. New Haven also has the best food options of any city in the state and enough night life areas. They already have one of the best universities in the world located there. New Haven if given the proper care and revitilization can become a very attractive city.

And there are plenty of fans in CT who would welcome and become fans of whatever pro team came to the state. Matchups with teams from NYC and Boston would bring an influx of their fans because of the proximity. Rangers fans can still be Rangers fans and attend CT hockey games. Knicks fans changed allegiances to to the Nets. There is a large enough population in the tristate area for NYC to support 2 teams, CT 1 team and NJ 1 team. The population is there and with 4 teams playing however many away games they can keep attendance #s high by visiting fans traveling and transplants who seem to work all over the tristate and boston area.

Carolina, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, and Florida are always in the bottom 10 in attendance. Moving those teams in areas in Canada, Great Lakes or CT would most likely boost attendance.

Reaction Score
The NHL needs to reduce the number of teams to protect against talent dilution and to strengthen the finances of remaining teams. Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, Carolina, and one of the 2 LA teams should be looked at. As for moving into ‘new’ cities, Quebec, a second team in metro Toronto (such as Hamilton), and Seattle make a lot more sense. Hartford already lost a team and was the smallest city hosting a pro-sports team at the time (Green Bay was smaller). It is also stuck in between to powerful hockey franchises in the Rangers and Bruins and both would fight any new team in the area, especially in New Haven and Fairfield counties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures

As for a new area, one positive aspect of a NHL team in Harford would be to wean Hartford from UConn sports allowing for a 12,000 seat basketball/hockey (can do a combo as the hoops team will have a practice facility) arena (smaller than Harford’s area) on-campus. Maybe built it adjacent to the new ‘Storrs Village’ complex and build a full retail/entertainment center around it (mini Patriot’s Place)? That may help raise UConn & Storrs’ profile. Without an alternate sports team in Hartford, state and city officials will make sure that UConn can never escape no matter that status of the XL Center or an unlikely replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom