New additions/update to 2024 Schedule | The Boneyard

New additions/update to 2024 Schedule

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Syracuse is now a home game instead of neutral. Great job by AD Benedict. We get 7 home games and 4 P4 games (would prefer 5-6), but overall a solid schedule with a lot of winnable games.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Schedule breakdown:

P4: Syracuse, Wake, Duke, Maryland
Regional G5: Temple, UMass, Buffalo
FCS: Merrimack
Others: Rice, FAU, UAB, Georgia State

Only two gams against a CUSA, MAC (Buffalo), or Sun Belt opponent (Georgia State) is a huge plus to me. Need to avoid scheduling these teams with the exception of maybe Buffalo for regional purposes.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
TV guesses:
WFSB: Merrimack
CBS Sports Network: Syracuse, FAU, Rice, Georgia State, Temple, Buffalo
ACC Network: Duke, Wake
Peacock: Maryland
ESPN+: UMass, UAB

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Schedule breakdown:

P4: Syracuse, Wake, Duke, Maryland
Regional G5: Temple, UMass, Buffalo
FCS: Merrimack
Others: Rice, FAU, UAB, Georgia State

Only two gams against a CUSA, MAC (Buffalo), or Sun Belt opponent (Georgia State) is a huge plus to me. Need to avoid scheduling these teams with the exception of maybe Buffalo for regional purposes.
fwiw, Sun Belt was the best G5 conference in 2023. We're not going to be able to avoid scheduling a couple of G5s, so Sun Belt is preferable to AAC, CUSA and certainly MAC. JMU, Coastal Carolina, Troy, App St., Marshall would all be pretty decent opposition (iow, likely kick our butts).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
fwiw, Sun Belt was the best G5 conference in 2023. We're not going to be able to avoid scheduling a couple of G5s, so Sun Belt is preferable to AAC, CUSA and certainly MAC. JMU, Coastal Carolina, Troy, App St., Marshall would all be pretty decent opposition (iow, likely kick our butts).
I would rather play more recognizable opponents we can beat (USF, Temple, ECU, Army, Navy, mid-tier MW schools) than less recognizable opponents (Troy, Louisiana, Georgia State) we will likely lose to. The MW and AAC have better TV deals so it will be more likely we will be on linear TV as well for the road half of the home and home.

Reaction Score
Openings are currently 9/7 (was date of army game), 10/19 and 10/26. Would be nice to play Merrimack on 9/7 and cuse on either 10/19 or 10/26.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Openings are currently 9/7 (was date of army game), 10/19 and 10/26. Would be nice to play Merrimack on 9/7 and cuse on either 10/19 or 10/26.
Syracuse is likely 11/23.

Reaction Score
I would rather play more recognizable opponents we can beat (USF, Temple, ECU, Army, Navy, mid-tier MW schools) than less recognizable opponents (Troy, Louisiana, Georgia State) we will likely lose to. The MW and AAC have better TV deals so it will be more likely we will be on linear TV as well for the road half of the home and home.
Shizzle would rather go 0-12 playing all P4 opponents than win a game playing against a Sunbelt team. This despite the fact that since the Big East imploded we are 2-12 or something.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Shizzle would rather go 0-12 playing all P4 opponents than win a game playing against a Sunbelt team. This despite the fact that since the Big East imploded we are 2-12 or something.
No. I want to play 6 P4 opponents a year. All home and homes with three at home and three away. The other six games would be an FCS home game, two mid-tier MW games, Temple, USF, and maybe Buffalo or UMass (who will probably join CUSA soon).

Something like this:

1. North Carolina (H) CBS SN
2. NC State (A) ACC N/CW
3. Virginia (A) ACC N/CW
4. Indiana (H) CBS SN
5. Syracuse (A) ACC N/CW
6. Wyoming (H) CBS SN
7. Temple (A) ESPN+
8. USF (H) CBS SN
9. New Mexico (A) CBS SN
10. Boston College (H) CBS SN
11. Merrimack (H) WFSB
12. Buffalo (A) ESPN+

Under this model, we would get a 7th home game every other year and no more pay day games. Likely get at least ten games on linear TV as well.

Reaction Score
The good news with Army joining the AAC conference is all of their previously scheduled opponents now need to fill in their schedule with little notice. This should help us fill in the remaining gaps in our schedule through 2030. Our schedule was nearly full and we just needed a few plug-in dates here and there and it should work out nicely for us.

With Delaware joining CUSA they will need non-conference games. With the majority of their future conference games being a great distance travel wise, we should be able to schedule a few games as they would like a more regional opponent. We should be able to schedule some of these games in November when it's more difficult to arrange a independent football schedule.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The P4 games are all automatic losses.
We beat BC last year so not exactly. If we schedule 6 P4 games every year and win just one, as long as we win 4 of 5 G5 games (we should based on resources) and the FCS game, that is a bowl game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We beat BC last year so not exactly. If we schedule 6 P4 games every year and win just one, as long as we win 4 of 5 G5 games (we should based on resources) and the FCS game, that is a bowl game.
It's a sound plan, if it can be scheduled. I think scheduling P4s is going to become more difficult down the road - and especially for home games. Getting six a season will be a challenge, as will getting more than one at home.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I may be alone here but I would see of Temple would be willing to swap the home/road game(s) of this series.

A) I have a strong suspicion that an additional home game this season will lead to a season not far down the road where to avoid having only five home games we will need to schedule two FCS games.

B) I think we will be far better served (attendance wise) a couple years from now so pushing that game forward could mean an additional 10k-12k fans on attendance.

For the record I believe Temple should be on our schedule most seasons.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I may be alone here but I would see of Temple would be willing to swap the home/road game(s) of this series.

A) I have a strong suspicion that an additional home game this season will lead to a season not far down the road where to avoid having only five home games we will need to schedule two FCS games.

B) I think we will be far better served (attendance wise) a couple years from now so pushing that game forward could mean an additional 10k-12k fans on attendance.

For the record I believe Temple should be on our schedule most seasons.
I agree. Switch with 2026. We have 5 home games and 7 road games that year as of now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are enough P5/high G5 teams on that list to qualify as a good schedule. A competitive teams wins at least 6 of those so expectations are still high for this team. 4-5 wins will be a disappointment. 7 should be the goal. None of these programs enjoy consistent success, they will all struggle to improve or maintain over last year.

This is the peer group we want to dominate. Only Maryland, who has quite a bit coming back should be considered unwinnable, but it's still Maryland FB.

Reaction Score

It I squint I can see 6 wins.

Lay off the drugs son.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom