New AAC Deal | The Boneyard

New AAC Deal

Reaction Score
Unless I missed the thread, posting info from the courant article. New deal expected to be 7mil a year and many games to be on ESPN+. Sounds like UConn fans are paying for the new deal rather than ESPN.

Thoughts?!

Reaction Score
I’ll sum it up: It was bad deal yesterday and it will be a bad deal for the next 12 years, but Aresco is guaranteed to collect is 2 Million a year salary for a decade.

Reaction Score
It just underscores the need for UConn to get over to the ACC or B10 sooner than later. Let's go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Discussion(s) was over on the BBALL board: AAC Media Contract

Personally: it's better than what we have now. Yes, some games will be on espn+ but many games have been buried on mjnor channels (or not on TV) through the years. It's too early to know how many of our games will be on the +. I'm not devastated by the 7 mil, but in 5-10 years it will really hurt us. I don't like the 12 year contract unless there are renegotiation periods built in.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I missed the thread too. Dumb title with no TV or Deal or Contract in the title

That said,12 YEARS IS INSANE. Talk about setting a low ceiling. Terrible.

AAC Media Contract

^^again you didn't search hard enough.

Reaction Score
I missed the thread too. Dumb title with no TV or Deal or Contract in the title

That said,12 YEARS IS INSANE. Talk about setting a low ceiling. Terrible.
Its the 12 years thats a killer here. 4 to 6 would have been about right.

Reaction Score
Has the whole deal been released? Very often it is the details that make or break these deals. For example reopeners, or how the deal works over time. Do we get a couple of games of the week basically guaranteed time slots on ABC/espn etc.

It is really the AAC network and in an era of cable cutting it will either be brilliant or it will be a disaster.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
People who post on the football board can post on the basketball board...you wont get herpes if you click the basketball board link
The basketball board, it's like riding a tractor while wearing a bathing suit

Reaction Score
I was expecting at least 10 million per school. The AAC may not be the best out there, but it has far exceeded expectations and deserves more than the low ball offers it keeps getting.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder how long the TV gravy train is going to last for these conferences. I'm not saying it'll dry up completely as there will always be some die hard audience. But things change over time. The casual fan will sour of the scandals, an additional fee, then move on. People will find something different and less expensive to do. Maybe Aresco anticipates that and is trying to lock in a guaranteed payday for as long as possible. Who knows.

If there is another realignment on the horizon chances are UConn won't be the first picked unless the football program makes a miraculous turn around. Don't count on The Big East saving the basketball programs. That conference is teetering with the AAC gaining ground on them faster than most would like to admit. This year no Sweet 16 team from the Big East, Houston still alive. Creighton got eliminated from the NIT tonight and Wichita St has already beat the #1, 2 and 3 seeds to advance to MSG. South Florida one of the final 4 remaining in the CBI.

Sooner or later the bubble will burst on the P-5. Unscrupulous agents, shoe companies, AD's, coaches and parents will help. Online degrees and the rethinking of cost vs reward of four years at a university will aid in the erosion of the college experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other thing that is interesting to me is that college kids are starting not to care that much. One of my kids teaches at a major P5 Conference school. She proposed delaying an exam which had long been scheduled because it conflicted with the basketball team’s opening round game, and being a government prof let the students vote. Hold the exam won overwhelmingly. When she said she was surprised, many many students said things like “Maybe if it was the nba finals” or simply “we don’t really follow basketball “. A few said “we’ll just record and watch later” and a few “this won’t be a close game.” When the same thing happened when she was an undergrad at a different school people voted overwhelmingly the other way!

I really think this indicative of a larger issue and that is that a few things have come together that will be troublesome for college sports in the future. One is the absolute dominance of pro sports. NFL, NBA etc totally suck all the Air out of the room. Instead of discussing conference tournaments NCAA seeding etc. people are arguing about whether the Giants should draft a qb to replace Eli or Pittsburgh is making a mistake in letting its best receiver and running back leave.

Secondly I think students have been given short shrift for many years now as schools have catered to big donors. That is coming home to roost when teams start to falter. UConn hoops is a prime example but it is happening at other places as well.

Finally the P5 exclusivity might be helping a few schools but it kills everyone else. It even kills the lower tier P5 schools. When UConn played at BC it was the 2nd best attended game of the year for them after Clemson. I attended a couple of mid level P5 games last year and none were more than half full. Basically I think the football playoffs and conference realignment essentially is killing the sport. Nobody cares about Maryland Nebraska. Oklahoma Nebraska folks cared about.

Reaction Score
Discussion(s) was over on the BBALL board: AAC Media Contract

Personally: it's better than what we have now. Yes, some games will be on espn+ but many games have been buried on mjnor channels (or not on TV) through the years. It's too early to know how many of our games will be on the +. I'm not devastated by the 7 mil, but in 5-10 years it will really hurt us. I don't like the 12 year contract unless there are renegotiation periods built in.
Can leave AAC without paying to get out of our ESPN deal, with AAC.

Reaction Score
The other thing that is interesting to me is that college kids are starting not to care that much. One of my kids teaches at a major P5 Conference school. She proposed delaying an exam which had long been scheduled because it conflicted with the basketball team’s opening round game, and being a government prof let the students vote. Hold the exam won overwhelmingly. When she said she was surprised, many many students said things like “Maybe if it was the nba finals” or simply “we don’t really follow basketball “. A few said “we’ll just record and watch later” and a few “this won’t be a close game.” When the same thing happened when she was an undergrad at a different school people voted overwhelmingly the other way!

I really think this indicative of a larger issue and that is that a few things have come together that will be troublesome for college sports in the future. One is the absolute dominance of pro sports. NFL, NBA etc totally suck all the Air out of the room. Instead of discussing conference tournaments NCAA seeding etc. people are arguing about whether the Giants should draft a qb to replace Eli or Pittsburgh is making a mistake in letting its best receiver and running back leave.

Secondly I think students have been given short shrift for many years now as schools have catered to big donors. That is coming home to roost when teams start to falter. UConn hoops is a prime example but it is happening at other places as well.

Finally the P5 exclusivity might be helping a few schools but it kills everyone else. It even kills the lower tier P5 schools. When UConn played at BC it was the 2nd best attended game of the year for them after Clemson. I attended a couple of mid level P5 games last year and none were more than half full. Basically I think the football playoffs and conference realignment essentially is killing the sport. Nobody cares about Maryland Nebraska. Oklahoma Nebraska folks cared about.
Huh? The NBA sucks and the majority of the people I know (people in their 20s) never watch it and would much rather watch NCAA basketball.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Huh? The NBA sucks and the majority of the people I know (people in their 20s) never watch it and would much rather watch NCAA basketball.

This is a hilariously bad take. Your anecdote isn't reality look at ratings data.

Reaction Score

Why The 2017-18 Season Was Great For The NBA

"At the end of the 2017-18 regular season, NBA ratings were up across all four networks when compared to last season. ABC led the way at +17%, while TNT was +13%, ESPN +4% and NBA TV +1%. It was the NBA’s highest-rated season in five years. The audience growth was led by hard-to-reach young adults, with ratings for 18-34 demographic up by 14% and the 18-49 age group up by 15%. The median age of the NBA viewer is relatively young at 42, compared to the NFL (50) and Major League Baseball (57). Local TV ratings grew by 3%, after a drop of 14% in 2016-17 season."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom