New 750k House for the President | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New 750k House for the President

Reaction Score
I was thinking, I'm glad we're not a bunch of yahoos being too cheap. Just did a quick search and now I feel we are a bunch of yahoos.

A Brief History of the Schreyer House

Reaction Score
So, you weren’t referring to a reno during Mike Hogan’s 2007-10 tenure? OK
No, that house hasn't had any work done on it in many many many years. The BOT meeting spent over an hour talking about the fact that the house hasn't had any work done on it in decades. Wasn't Hogan the one who said his wife couldn't live in it because of her allergies so they put him in the Lodewick's house, maybe that's how the misinformation started? Kind of silly to say it had a reno 10 years ago and already needs 1 to 2 million in repairs. L

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, that house hasn't had any work done on it in many many many years. The BOT meeting spent over an hour talking about the fact that the house hasn't had any work done on it in decades. Wasn't Hogan the one who said his wife couldn't live in it because of her allergies so they put him in the Lodewick's house, maybe that's how the misinformation started? Kind of silly to say it had a reno 10 years ago and already needs 1 to 2 million in repairs. Lol

I think you nodded off @/watching the BOT mtg...

Reaction Score

Wow, I guess I did. There wasn't one mention of a prior renovation during that meeting.

Reaction Score

Scott Jordan's letter to the board makes no mention of it either.

Reaction Score
I just have to chuckle at the rationale for this largess. If the President’s house isn’t nice enough, he can’t entertain and raise donor funds...if Buffet can drive around in an old car, eat at McDonalds and make billions, I’m sure our President could suffer through the ghastly horror of living in a stately historic building or better still foot the bill for his own house like the rest of poor slobs.

Reaction Score
Scott Jordan's letter to the board makes no mention of it either.
Thats because they are claiming Oak Hill needs things like a new slate roof which was done 10 years ago.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
>>The building’s outward appearance and condition are good. However, it has been determined that the building requires substantial deferred maintenance including totally replacing its slate roof; replacing its windows; addressing water seepage; replacing its HVAC system; refurbishing and/or renovating floors and rooms, and replacing facia, soffits and gutters, among other needs. The need for some of this work has been longstanding, but delayed for a number of years. The fact the building is considered “historic” in nature will drive-up the cost of such work, particularly the replacement of the slate roof, as replacement materials must meet exact specifications and the work must be completed and overseen by individuals with specialized training to work on historic structures. Due to the age of the building, it is very likely that costly environmental remediation would have to be conducted as part of any significant project, including the likely remediation of PCBs in numerous locations. In addition, the condition of the structure in areas that are not visible is largely unknown, and the condition of these areas, once known, could represent additional costs. This is common in older buildings.<<

Exactly, this is where any outrage should be levied.

So, a brick house...
1) Built in the 40s
2) By the state
3) With deferred maintenance ignored
...is "historic?" Really? As I said in the other thread, Thanks again, PROMansfield

Reaction Score
I get all that about having a proper home for the President, but some of us wonder how we could have spent $1 Million on this house a few years ago and now need to spend $1-2 Million to replace the roof and plumbing? What world do people live in if they believe that is a rational estimate? It isn't rational but makes a convenient excuse, no matter how weak.

For starters, let's ask why the roof needs to be slate. If the house is so stately it demands slate then the house must be valuable enough to properly renovate it this time.
Plumbing? You could rip out all the walls and do the plumbing at prices nowhere near these $.
What else needs to be done to require that level of expenditure?

How about developing complete specs and drawings and publicly bidding the work?

If it's so decrepit, give it to me and I'll renovate it and sell it to Kemba Walker to use when he comes to Gampel from Boston for a game or two.
At the time it was built people actually wanted a stately looking mansion for the President. While they are from somewhat different eras, Same reason that Beech Hall is attractive and Montieth and Arjona look like 1960 s elementary schools. Or the State Capital is ornate as is the old state office building but the newer stuff is indistinguishable from cheap professional building. The first factor was that people actually thought architecture of certain public buildings should reflect a degree of civic pride. That has been totally lost. 2nd was a change in architectural styles from about the mid60s that focused more on minimalism and function over design.

Reaction Score
At the time it was built people actually wanted a stately looking mansion for the President. While they are from somewhat different eras, Same reason that Beech Hall is attractive and Montieth and Arjona look like 1960 s elementary schools. Or the State Capital is ornate as is the old state office building but the newer stuff is indistinguishable from cheap professional building. The first factor was that people actually thought architecture of certain public buildings should reflect a degree of civic pride. That has been totally lost. 2nd was a change in architectural styles from about the mid60s that focused more on minimalism and function over design.
I just can't believe that it had $1,000,000 in upgrades only 10 years ago, and now it's almost unlivable and needs another $2,000,000 in critical improvements. Incredible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom