Vince Lombardi .... during his introductory speech
to his new team: THE GREEN BAY PACKERS, who were 1-10-1
the previous year. The rest is history. ( from page 125, CLOUDS
OVER THE GOALPOST by Lew Freeman, a recollection of
Bart Starr )

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You've read some of my posts and I live by never giving up. A couple of my phases.

There are two types of people in the world, those who think they can and those who think they cant and they're both right.
Winners never quit and quitters never win
If you don't stop trying you haven't lost, you've just learned one more way of how not to do it
Babe Ruth struck out over 2,000 times but fans only remember his 714 home runs.
Whenever a situation in my life began to go south, I would remember "And this too shall pass." Also the words of an employee whom I just complemented on his ability to handle the stress of his projects. His response was "What stress? No one is dying here." He is a Marine who had served in Vietnam.

Reaction Score
Edison’s quote about his many failures prior to his success - “ I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
I also heard that said that a reporter asked him about the light bulb- "How did it feel to fail 1000 times?". Edison replied " I didn't fail 1000 times. The light bulb was an invention that took 1000 steps".

Reaction Score
Don't let the bastards get you down.

In 1956, (Gene) Hackman began pursuing an acting career. He joined the Pasadena Playhouse in California, where he befriended another aspiring actor, Dustin Hoffman. Already seen as outsiders by their classmates, Hackman and Hoffman were voted "The Least Likely To Succeed", and Hackman got the lowest score the Pasadena Playhouse had yet given. Determined to prove them wrong, Hackman moved to New York City. A 2004 article in Vanity Fair described Hackman, Hoffman and Robert Duvall as struggling California-born actors and close friends, sharing NYC apartments in various two-person combinations in the 1960s. To support himself between acting jobs, Hackman was working at a Howard Johnson restaurant when he encountered an instructor from the Pasadena Playhouse, who said that his job proved that Hackman "wouldn't amount to anything". A Marine officer who saw him as a doorman said "Hackman, you're a sorry son of a bitch". Rejection motivated Hackman.

So what motivates Tom Brady? :D

Walt Disney was fired from an early job at the Kansas City Star Newspaper because he was not creative enough! His first two businesses failed.

Oprah Winfrey was publicly fired from her first television job as an anchor in Baltimore for getting "too emotionally invested in her stories."

Steven Spielberg was rejected by the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts multiple times.

R.H. Macy had a series of failed retail ventures throughout his early career.

Colonel Harland David Sanders was fired from several jobs before founding a fried chicken empire.

Vera Wang failed to make the 1968 US Olympic figure-skating team. Then she became an editor at Vogue, but was passed over for the editor-in-chief position. Part of her made it to the Olympics as she designed costumes for skating champion Nancy Kerrigan.

Thomas Alva Edison was fired by Western Union.

When Sidney Poitier first auditioned for the American Negro Theatre, he flubbed his lines and spoke in a heavy Caribbean accent, which made the director angrily tell him to stop wasting his time and go get a job as a dishwasher.

In one of Fred Astaire's first screen tests, an executive wrote: "Can't sing. Can't act. Slightly balding. Can dance a little."

J.K. Rowling was a single mom living off welfare when she began writing the first "Harry Potter" novel.

Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, had his first book rejected by 27 different publishers.

Henry Ford's first car company failed. He left his second company, the first a name Ford, which became the Cadillac Car Company.

Talk about persistence! While developing his vacuum, Sir James Dyson went through 5,126 failed prototypes and his savings over 15 years.

Saul Bellow's college English professor, the famed Norman Maclean, said he showed no signs of literary greatness and ultimately dismissed him as "a dud."

Ang Lee failed Taiwan's college entrance exams — twice. Then he tried to go to acting school, but his English wasn't good enough.

Then there are those did not become famous until after the age of 30:
Colonel Sanders 62
Alan Rickman 42
Stan Lee 39
Bob Ross 41
Samuel L. Jackson 46
Morgan Freeman 50
Steve Carell 43
Christoph Waltz 53
Harrison Ford 35
J.K. Rowling 32
Susan Boyle 47
Bryan Cranston 44
Danny Trejo 41
Viola Davis 43
Julia Child 50
Billy Bob Thornton 41
Oprah Winfrey, 32
Jonathan Daniel Hamm 37
Sylvester Stallone 30
James Gandolfini 38
Kathryn Joosten 60
Jane Lynch 49
Toni Morrison 39
Ray Kroc,52
Kerry Washington 35
Donald Fisher 41
etc., etc., etc.
Steven Spielberg had poor grades in high school due to undiagnosed dyslexia.

Reaction Score
Michael Bloomberg was head of tech for Salomon Brothers, the brokerage and commodities trading company. He pestered management so much and so relentlessly, trying to get them to implement his changes, that they fired him.

Well done.

Reaction Score
As they say, never give up!
Take a second look.

May be an image of text that says 'Never ever give up!'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1 if the best motivational speeches from 'Rocky Balboa' - 'Life is Hard' speech:

Last edited:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
When I hear "Never give up" I always think of this race...

I actually remember watching that race live. My dad was a sports FANATIC and our entire family would watch the Olympics together. Wottle and his hat stuck out. Seeing it live was thrilling. Thanks for the post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom