OT: - NEVER give up.......... | The Boneyard

OT: NEVER give up..........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a story of an athlete's refusal to quit or give up.

By now, most of you have heard or seen the story of the USC Trojan women's track team, and the miraculous come back win by their 4x400 relay team this past weekend to win the national championship by 1 point. This story was featured on local, regional and national (ESPN) media outlets across the country. The focus is on their anchor leg runner senior Kendall Ellis, who made up a 30 yard gap after receiving the baton (on a bad hand off) between herself, and the lead runner for Purdue.

At any point in the race, she could have thrown in the towel and given up, but she didn't. She has the heart of a champion, and never gave up. After the race, she was so tired, she couldn't stand up. She was exhausted. She went down on her elbows and knees to recover. Holding back nothing, she gave everything she had, leaving it all on the track!!! THIS is an example of the kind of heart, will and determination every coach in every sport tries to instill in their players and athletes.

I hope that ALL of our girls watch this video, and perhaps discuss it amongst themselves. I hope (if they don't already) they all appreciate and understand the dynamics of what Ellis did. She is a contemporary, a fellow college student just like them. I hope they all take and embrace this type of attitude and determination going into the coming season. Ellis' team won the national championship because of her don't quit, never give up and refuse to lose attitude. The fans that attended this meet will never forget the raw character and grit Kendall displayed that day. For all she did that day, and the effect it had on the outcome of the meet, Ellis gets my vote for athlete of the week. :)

Make sure to click on the "article" tab below to watch a second short video featuring Ellis' explanation of her thoughts during her leg of the race, then read a short story that takes you behind the scenes of the race and the 4x400 team.

Note - Read the lips of the Purdue runner (Jahneya Mitchell) she overtakes at the wire.

[Article]

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-12_10-46-24.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-12_10-46-24.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

By now, most of you have heard or seen the story of the USC Trojan women's track team, and the miraculous come back win by their 4x400 relay team this past weekend to win the national championship by 1 point. This story was featured on media outlets (ESPN) across the country. The focus is on their anchor leg runner Kendall Ellis, who made up a 30 yard gap after receiving the baton between herself, and the lead runner for Perdue.

At any point in the race, she could have thrown in the towel and given up, but she didn't. She has the heart of a champion, and never gave up. At the end of the race, she was so tired, she couldn't stand up. She was exhausted. She went down on her elbows and knees to recover, holding back nothing. Giving everything she had, and leaving EVERYTHING on the track!!! THIS is an example of the kind of heart, will and determination every coach in every sport tries to instill in their players and athletes.

I hope that ALL of our girls watch this video, and and perhaps discuss it amongst themselves. I hope (if they don't already) appreciate and understand the dynamics of what Ellis did. She is a fellow college student just like them. I hope they all take this attitude and determination into the coming season. Her team won the national championship because of her don't quit, never give up attitude, regardless of the circumstances.

Note - Read the lips of the Perdue runner (Jahneya Mitchell) she overtakes at the wire.

[Article]
You posted the wrong link. I think you meant this one.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow, that was an incredible stretch run.

I'm not sure I ever ran a 400 when I didn't feel like this woman looked at the end. It's just an incredibly grueling race. All over, I hurt more after a marathon, but in terms of being absolutely drained for a few minutes, the 400 takes the cake in my book.

OT: My senior of high school was the first in which one was allowed to do four running events in a meet. In the conference championship, I was entered in the 4x100, 100, 200, and 400. The 4x100 started the meet, I did three heats of 100, three heats of 400, then the 200 was toward the end. I was basically out of it by then, thinking it was another 400, and started out as such. Halfway through I realized what was going on and went so hard, I got my spikes stuck in the track and took a tumble. I was in the outside lane and there were some young (probably 6-10 years old) boys right there who really got a kick out of it. Of course I was pretty bloodied up, so there were also some old (60's-70's) women who were beside themselves wondering if I was alright. I was amused by all of this 40 years ago, but now I live in fear of taking a spill, and I don't run nearly as fast.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow, that was an incredible stretch run.

I'm not sure I ever ran a 400 when I didn't feel like this woman looked at the end. It's just an incredibly grueling race. All over, I hurt more after a marathon, but in terms of being absolutely drained for a few minutes, the 400 takes the cake in my book.

OT: My senior of high school was the first in which one was allowed to do four running events in a meet. In the conference championship, I was entered in the 4x100, 100, 200, and 400. The 4x100 started the meet, I did three heats of 100, three heats of 400, then the 200 was toward the end. I was basically out of it by then, thinking it was another 400, and started out as such. Halfway through I realized what was going on and went so hard, I got my spikes stuck in the track and took a tumble. I was in the outside lane and there were some young (probably 6-10 years old) boys right there who really got a kick out of it. Of course I was pretty bloodied up, so there were also some old (60's-70's) women who were beside themselves wondering if I was alright. I was amused by all of this 40 years ago, but now I live in fear of taking a spill, and I don't run nearly as fast.

None of us do. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

By now, most of you have heard or seen the story of the USC Trojan women's track team, and the miraculous come back win by their 4x400 relay team this past weekend to win the national championship by 1 point. This story was featured on local, regional and national (ESPN) media outlets across the country. The focus is on their anchor leg runner senior Kendall Ellis, who made up a 30 yard gap after receiving the baton (on a bad hand off) between herself, and the lead runner for Purdue.

At any point in the race, she could have thrown in the towel and given up, but she didn't. She has the heart of a champion, and never gave up. After the race, she was so tired, she couldn't stand up. She was exhausted. She went down on her elbows and knees to recover. Holding back nothing, she gave everything she had, leaving it all on the track!!! THIS is an example of the kind of heart, will and determination every coach in every sport tries to instill in their players and athletes.

I hope that ALL of our girls watch this video, and perhaps discuss it amongst themselves. I hope (if they don't already) they all appreciate and understand the dynamics of what Ellis did. She is a contemporary, a fellow college student just like them. I hope they all take and embrace this type of attitude and determination going into the coming season. Ellis' team won the national championship because of her don't quit, never give up and refuse to lose attitude. The fans that attended this meet will never forget the raw character and grit Kendall displayed that day. For all she did that day, and the effect it had on the outcome of the meet, Ellis gets my vote for athlete of the week. :)

Make sure to click on the "article" tab below to watch a second short video featuring Ellis' explanation of her thoughts during her leg of the race, then read a short story that takes you behind the scenes of the race and the 4x400 team.

Note - Read the lips of the Purdue runner (Jahneya Mitchell) she overtakes at the wire.

[Article]

As soon as I saw the relay live on TV I said, "Leon Lett". The runner coasted with the lead the last 20 meters or so, didn't hear the other runner gaining on her and lost at the tape. This should also be an example for young women and girls to run hard to the tape, and never take anything for granted.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
As soon as I saw they relay live on TV I said, "Leon Lett". The runner coasted with the lead the last 20 meters or so, didn't hear the other runner gaining on her and lost at the tape. This should also be an example for young women and girls to run hard to the tape, and never take anything for granted.

Both of these young ladies will be remembered for happened that day. Both of them will also never forget who the other person was. It's funny Jordy that you should reference "Leon Lett". Like Jim Marshall of the Minnesota Vikings, Bill Buckner of the Boston Red Sox and Mark Sanchez's unforgettable "butt fumble" in 2012 against the Patriots, they are remembered most for 1 miscue, regardless of all the other good to great plays they made during their careers. When we hear the name Leon Lett, we all remember what he did on that 1993 Thanksgiving Day game against Dolphins that cost the Dallas Cowboys the game. I was a huge cowboy fan back then. That play gave me indigestion the rest of the day. :mad:

It takes a special kind of player to overshadow a game in which your team wins the championship by a final tally of 52-17, but that's exactly what Leon Lett did in Super Bowl XXVII. With his Dallas Cowboys absolutely eviscerating the Buffalo Bills, Lett recovered a fourth quarter fumble and began rumbling downfield. As it so often does, a premature celebration made a real mess of things, as Bills' receiver Don Beebe caught up and stripped the ball out before Lett had reached the end zone. While it was of little consolation to the Bills, Lett's fumble was one of several gaffes that have become his lasting NFL legacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom