Nevada Bowl Ticket Sales....Running a Little Slow | The Boneyard

Nevada Bowl Ticket Sales....Running a Little Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read somewhere they are mad at the AD for not subsidizing the student section.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Surely that article forgot the word "thousand" after the word "ten?"

Reaction Score
Christmas eve bowl game, plus $2k +/- for airfare/hotel to Hawaii?

Not surprised.

Reaction Score
Raise of hands for those who would drop almost $10K on a trip to see a UConn bowl game and spend Christmas in Hawaii..........we would be lucky if 1k made the trip.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Raise of hands for those who would drop almost $10K on a trip to see a UConn bowl game and spend Christmas in Hawaii..........we would be lucky if 1k made the trip.

While we would be lucky if 500 actually made the trip, I bet we would sell a couple of thousand tickets through people/companies buying the tickets and donating them to local charities in order to support UConn. I know I would.

Reaction Score
While we would be lucky if 500 actually made the trip, I bet we would sell a couple of thousand tickets through people/companies buying the tickets and donating them to local charities in order to support UConn. I know I would.
Good point, this board alone donated enough money to send 2 fans to the Fiesta bowl.

Reaction Score

i used to donate a couple of tickets whether i could make it myself or not, but i think i'm going to stop this policy. i've come to the conclusion that all i'm doing in donating is propogating a broken system that i hate, and in the case of the Fiesta Bowl you're probably paying for a lap dance for their CEO. if schools are invited to a bowl they shouldn't be coerced into buying tickets.

Reaction Score
Question: How many people go to Maui when UCONN is playing?

Reaction Score
Question: How many people go to Maui when UCONN is playing?

I have no idea what the actual number is....but looking at the stands last year....I'd say a couple of hundred.

But, you can plan for that trip well in advance. You would have 3 weeks to plan a trip to Hawaii and spend Christmas over there. Apples and oranges to draw a comparison IMO.

Reaction Score
Good point, this board alone donated enough money to send 2 fans to the Fiesta bowl.
Wing,

We ended up sending four students to the Fiesta Bowl last year and I was blown away by people's generosity. That was pretty amazing.

BTW, I sent a few notes to the people at the Courant, thinking it would be cool to get them to interview the students and even throw their weight behind it a bit. Des had the courtesy to return an email but the Courant brass never responded and apparently thought it was not a worthy topic.

Wish we could've done the same this year but guess we'll have to wait until next year.

Reaction Score
Wing,

We ended up sending four students to the Fiesta Bowl last year and I was blown away by people's generosity. That was pretty amazing.

BTW, I sent a few notes to the people at the Courant, thinking it would be cool to get them to interview the students and even throw their weight behind it a bit. Des had the courtesy to return an email but the Courant brass never responded and apparently thought it was not a worthy topic.

Wish we could've done the same this year but guess we'll have to wait until next year.
My mistake, I thought it was 2. That's awesome. I donated what I could and would gladly donate again to send more fans.

Reaction Score
This bowl doesn't exist to bring a material amount of tourists in from the mainland. This bowl exists to allow Hawaai to have a place to have a bowl game against a decent opponent at home, and to allow ESPN a chance to fill a TV slot that would be very difficult to fill in anything but an empty stadium anywhere else.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As a Nevada season ticket holder and regular bowl game attendee I can guarantee you that UCONN wouldn't do much better in the same situation. Flights to Hawaii and hotels are crushingly expensive over Xmas. Its the busiest week of the entire year in the islands and the cost to attend the game would run into the many thousands of dollars. Ive been to the Maui invitation on multiple occasions, multiple UCONN bowl games all over the country, final fours, etc. etc. and am no cheapskate when it comes to traveling to sporting events but when I looked into the cost of going to Oahu for the Nevada v. Southern Miss game it took me about .o1 seconds to decide it was ridiculous.

ps. Nevada sold 15,000 tix to the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl against BC last year in the first 4 days after they went on sale and ended up bringing WELL over 20,000 to the game. Im not sure we should be breaking their balls.

Reaction Score
i dont' think anyone here is busting Nevada's balls, but rather the ridiculousness of a low tier bowl game asking your fans to make a last minute trip to Hawaii on Christmas Eve. i imagine that type of trip will never be an option for me or most people.

Reaction Score

You are being kind. I put the over/under at 300...and I would bet the house on the under. But as someone mentioned ....short notice to drop that kind or coin...especially this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom