Nets purchasing Liberty from Knuckleheads | The Boneyard

Nets purchasing Liberty from Knuckleheads

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great news. The Nets have a far better management structure which seeps into how well (or at least hard) the Brooklyn Nets play.

AP source: Nets minority owner's group nearing Liberty deal

If they can ultimately move to the Barclay center, I can finally see some games but

" The WNBA already has released its schedule for 2019, and the Liberty are set to play in suburban Westchester again, with the two school and camp-day games listed without a venue. With dates locked in, it could be difficult to move games to Brooklyn’s Barclays Center if that’s what the new ownership group wanted. " :(

Reaction Score
Great news. The Nets have a far better management structure which seeps into how well (or at least hard) the Brooklyn Nets play.

AP source: Nets minority owner's group nearing Liberty deal

If they can ultimately move to the Barclay center, I can finally see some games but

" The WNBA already has released its schedule for 2019, and the Liberty are set to play in suburban Westchester again, with the two school and camp-day games listed without a venue. With dates locked in, it could be difficult to move games to Brooklyn’s Barclays Center if that’s what the new ownership group wanted. " :(
Cool! Joseph Tsai cofounded Alibaba, basically the Chinese version of Amazon + PayPal. He isn't quite Jeff Bezos yet, but he's worth about $8 billion and may not care whether the Liberty are profitable (a la Europe, etc.). (Plus he may have taken them off Dolan's hands for $1 - who knows?)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thank goodness. Anything to get the Liberty away from carpetbagger Dirtball Dolan. Now maybe they have a chance as they distance themselves from the dumbest guy in the room.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well actually it is the guy who owns 49% of the Brooklyn Nets purchasing them from James Dolan who owns the Knucks, I mean Knicks

Might be too late to switch upcoming season games from Westchester tho
'Bout damn time!

I've been waiting for some NYC billionaire--and there are LOTS of them--to take over the Liberty.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well actually it is the guy who owns 49% of the Brooklyn Nets purchasing them from James Dolan who owns the Knucks, I mean Knicks

Might be too late to switch upcoming season games from Westchester tho

Nets purchasing Liberty from Knuckleheads

Priceless headline. We should trademark this, too. Well done....:D

Reaction Score
I hope it works out. There are a lot of UCONN women on The Liberty (Tina, Bria, Kia, Kiah), and perhaps another will be added soon. They deserve better. They might actually do well in Brooklyn, and being affiliated in some way with a pro men's team won't hurt. Change their name to The Liberated!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I might have to shower after I post this BUT...from my knowledge of the MSG capacity- 20,789 and fact the Liberty drew 9,879 in their last year there. The team must host 17 home games in from mid-May to mid-August and their is a cost to open and operate the facility-margins were probably too thin.

As the "World's most famous arena", it hosts concerts for "A" listers and occasional other events that conflict with the WNBA. These events Sell out to the maximum capacity at a premium ticket price vs. the WNBA.

Dolan has been more than fair with the Liberty, especially considering how many other NBA owners dumped or simply just left their teams. To open an venue for less than 50% capacity, not exacting premium pricing and limited concessions, not to mention the sky box issues, I do understand their move. Now, I just wish it could have been to a higher seating capacity like many college venues have of 8,000-10,000 but I don't know if any exist within the footprint of NYC. Harbor Yard might be the closest and that's bit too far.

I wish the new owners well but they too may find that the cost to open and operate will be prohibitive unless they don't worry about their margins and just want the Barclay Center open.

This simple fact is the WNBA has an image issue that prevents it from being a true stand-alone professional sports league with healthy revenue. The positive is it happens to be the best women's league in the world that is trying hard to grow it's appeal in year 23...

Now I must go and cleanse myself from the stink of defending James Dolan...yuk...Head bang

Reaction Score
So the Liberty have the no. 2 pick. Who should they go for?

I personally think the Liberty could use another center instead of waiting for Stokes to step up, but early on it sounded like Katie Smith was interested in adding to the guards. I think they have more than enough short guards, but somebody like KLS or Collier might be a good fit for them. It’ll be easier to guess who teams will draft once we see who they sign in the free agency period.

Reaction Score
So the Liberty have the no. 2 pick. Who should they go for?

Good question. They'll have a shot at KLS or Collier, probably a choice of the two. Smith has said they would be interested in a scoring guard (noting that Kia is primarily a defensive player who can provide offense and actually played as a Forward much of the time last year). Durr would be available and perhaps Ionescu. That being said, I have no idea who they might choose when the time comes. Maybe go with Brown or McCowan. Frankly, I don't know who I would select between the two UCONN players. Whatever, with a new owner who has money to spend, a strong NBA tie, and the potential to move the team to a more attractive venue, maybe even the Barclay Center, I would think that The Liberty might attract a higher end free agent or two. Actually, having followed Kia with the UC Capitals, I wouldn't mind seeing Kelsey Griffin come on board if she is interested in rejoining the WNBA. I have a feeling this may be a much better season for The Liberty in a number of ways.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom