Netflix's recent obsession with terrible people | The Boneyard

Netflix's recent obsession with terrible people

Reaction Score
Does anyone feel like netflix has had some sort of weird recent obsession with shows about awful people?

I tried to watch Girlboss. Main character is an awful person

I watched all of Friends from College. Once again, they were all terrible people.

Now I finished half an episode of Gypsy and stopped because once again, the lead was an awful person.

None of the characters are anything but bad people. It's not like they're Walter White where they are bad people with a reason to be bad. They're not trying to save anybody and they're not martyrs. They're all just repulsive selfish people with no backstory and no cause. I'm usually a fan of Netflix original content but this has been a brutal stretch.

Reaction Score
Does anyone feel like netflix has had some sort of weird recent obsession with shows about awful people?

I watched all of Friends from College. Once again, they were all terrible people.

Now I finished half an episode of Gypsy and stopped because once again, the lead was an awful person.

None of the characters are anything but bad people. It's not like they're Walter White where they are bad people with a reason to be bad. They're not trying to save anybody and they're not martyrs. They're all just repulsive selfish people with no backstory and no cause. I'm usually a fan of Netflix original content but this has been a brutal stretch.
Ozark is pretty good so far.

Reaction Score
Ozark is pretty good so far.
I watched the first episode and am getting the same feeling unfortunately. It's been received well so I'll probably give it a full chance but my hopes aren't too high.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You can tell just by looking at the image and reading the title "Friends from College" exactly what that is going to be. They want you to think it's funny but it's going to be boring and awkward and stupid.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd argue it's not just Netflix... terrible people make for great TV (Sopranos, Breaking Bad). But obviously it's not easy to do it "right".

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Because people like watching terrible people. Ostensibly because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Why do you think people watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Shahs of Sunset, whatever Housewives or any other of that ilk? I've got housemates who love these shows. I try to avoid religiously, but can't escape to far corners of the house fast enough.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Alternatively, some of the best shows are a collection of terrible people. Bloodlines comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Alternatively, some of the best shows are a collection of terrible people. Bloodlines comes to mind.

It's more about the motivation. Their recent shows are terrible people for the sake of being terrible. There is no compelling story of why they're bad people or how they became bad people. And they're not embracing being bad. It's just some miserable person trying to make everyone else miserable too.

Reaction Score
How has no one talked about Always Sunny!?
Always sunny embraces it, which is why it is so good. There are no qualms about them being awful people.

The shows I mentioned want you to root for the bad guy without giving you a reason to do so

Reaction Score
It's more about the motivation. Their recent shows are terrible people for the sake of being terrible. There is no compelling story of why they're bad people or how they became bad people. And they're not embracing being bad. It's just some miserable person trying to make everyone else miserable too.
You hang out on the cesspool all the time, the entire place is crawling with horrible human beings.

Reaction Score
You hang out on the cesspool all the time, the entire place is crawling with horrible human beings.

The characters, storylines and creativity on the cesspool blow these shows away.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Always sunny embraces it, which is why it is so good. There are no qualms about them being awful people.

The shows I mentioned want you to root for the bad guy without giving you a reason to do so
Ah I see what you're saying

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The anti-hero concept. Executed poorly. You are essentially decrying bad writing and directing then.

Reaction Score
The anti-hero concept. Executed poorly. You are essentially decrying bad writing and directing then.
Yes, with three shows almost back-to-back-to-back

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom