NET | The Boneyard

NET

Reaction Score
I just read that the men’s tournament has moved away from the RPI and is using a new selection system: the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET). Can someone describe this instrument?

Reaction Score
I am regularly surprised how well the Massey Ratings work, especially late in the season when more data are available.

Reaction Score
I briefly looked at the NET Rankings on the men's side, like any other data the committee chooses to use for their seeding, this NET rank is also flawed. I wonder how Houston must feel with a rank of #4 but yet they are a 3 seed in the Midwest Region where North Carolina with a NET rank of #7 is the one seed. The NET rank is true for the other 1 seeds...Duke #3 (NET), Gonzaga #2 and Virginia #1. Just an observation.

DI Men's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com

1552924778443.png

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Interesting that despite having NET ratings of 32 and 35, respectively, both NC State and Clemson were left out of the field of 68 in the men's NCAAT...but Belmont (47), Ohio State (55), Minnesota (61), Arizona State (63) and St. Johns (73) all made the tournament as at-large teams.

So, if the NET was going to be used to decide who would get at-large bids and who wouldn't...why wasn't it used in that fashion? It seemed the Committee only used it when it wanted to in order to justify their decisions.

Let Belmont or any of those other teams play 5 games against #1 seeds and see how they would do!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I do not recognize any of the committee members. There does not appear to be any ex coaches, analyst, or players on the committee. Do these guys just have a criteria they go by or are there experts that assist the committee members?
Ceal Barry is a long time (retired) Colorado coach and very, very active in the day in USA basketball. Also used to be a commentator. The only one I know.

Reportedly several of them played, and all of them are involved with WBB as administrators. I did look up Teresa Phillips (the name sounded familiar) but it probably shouldn't. She was the first black scholarship athlete at Vanderbilt (when WBB became a scholarship sport, we are talking late '70s early '80's) and is also noted for coaching one men's basketball game when both the head coach and interim head coach were suspended. Also noted as one the few female AD's at a school that plays football.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ceal Barry is a long time (retired) Colorado coach and very, very active in the day in USA basketball. Also used to be a commentator. The only one I know.

Reportedly several of them played, and all of them are involved with WBB as administrators. I did look up Teresa Phillips (the name sounded familiar) but it probably shouldn't. She was the first black scholarship athlete at Vanderbilt (when WBB became a scholarship sport, we are talking late '70s early '80's) and is also noted for coaching one men's basketball game when both the head coach and interim head coach were suspended. Also noted as one the few female AD's at a school that plays football.
DeJuena Chizer of the University of Houston is a name I definitely recognize. She played for UH in the 1980s and was a longtime assistant coach at the school in the 2000s, including a brief glory period in the Sancho Lyttle era.

Tamica Smith Jones of UC Riverside was a collegiate player at Troy and Alabama A&M.

Ken Bothof of Northern Kentucky played basketball at a D-III school in Iowa.

Leslie Claybrook played collegiate basketball at Alabama.

Theresa Phillips was the head coach of Tennessee State for 11 seasons and also did a couple of stints for USA Basketball.

Debbie Williamson worked as an assistant coach at various schools and has most recently been a coordinator of officials.

Diane Turnham of MTSU was also a longtime assistant coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom