NET and what's killing the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NET and what's killing the Big East

Reaction Score
The Marquette game is being made up next week
and that's the only game left in the regular season that could help UConn with its national ranking before the BE tournament....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s not going to happen in the remaking regular season. You have NO remaining games against Quad 1 opponents and two that are quad 3s. Your presently great SOS is going to dip to the mid 2Os in just two weeks. The BigE tournament games will help a bit.

Tough conference games are happening only because you are down due to injury. A 3/4 healthy UConn would have blown the conference apart.
You are talking about SOS. Cometjo is talking about preparing for the Big Dance. Those are two different things.

While I agree that a healthy UConn team probably blitzes the BE, the fact that UConn has had to field 9 different starting lineups against everyone’s best shot has made UConn a much better team.

In addition, the return matchup with Marquette on the 23rd will challenge UConn to prepare & execute well. The BE has been a “net positive” for the Huskies this year, that will hopefully pay big dividends in March.

Reaction Score
The recent return match against DePaul really showed me something.
Somewhere along the line these athletes found another level to draw purpose from.
( and getting more minutes from Azzi didn’t hurt)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Why should one care about the bottom. UConn has four opponents in the Big East who could make the tournament, equaling 10 competitive games. That never happened in the AAC, where for most of the run South Florida was the only competition. The AAC is also losing several of its teams to the Big 12, which will make it a much weaker conference. Also, Seton Hall, Providence and St. John’s all have individual players that are difficult match ups. This thread is nonsense.
Do you really have no idea how Conference NET works or what a member school has committed to? It’s the relative strength of ALL THE TEAM members 1-11. Right now and even last year, the AAC bottom teams were better than the Big East. Yet the Big East professes to be a basketball focused conference whose prime effort is basketball. Each school is supposed to be committed to that focus, including the women’s programs. Just look at the various sports these schools have and what each Athletic Department makes as a priority. There is an issue and the conference commissioner needs to be honest about it and hopefully some astute writers will actually ask that question at the Big East Conference Tournament when Val hands out the regular season awards. That’s wha this thread is about-Not just UConn’s SoS or their own NET ranking. The OBE was the #1 conference for quite a few years.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The recent return match against DePaul really showed me something.
Somewhere along the line these athletes found another level to draw purpose from.
( and getting more minutes from Azzi didn’t hurt)
Also DePaul not having their 2nd leading scorer, Sonya Morris, in the lineup just might have had something to do with the lopsided score. In the first meeting of UCONN and DePaul Morris scored 19 points. With Morris in DePaul's lineup I believe the score would have been within 4-6 points. UCONN still wins but by a smaller margin.

Reaction Score
Was that a strong conference or just a uncompetitive UCONN team?
A little bit of both. As I recall Providence was the best in the region but I don't recall them being in the old Yankee Conference. And yes, UCONN was a gimme for the rest of the competition.

sun

Reaction Score
Do you really have no idea how Conference NET works or what a member school has committed to? It’s the relative strength of ALL THE TEAM members 1-11. Right now and even last year, the AAC bottom teams were better than the Big East. Yet the Big East professes to be a basketball focused conference whose prime effort is basketball. Each school is supposed to be committed to that focus, including the women’s programs. Just look at the various sports these schools have and what each Athletic Department makes as a priority. There is an issue and the conference commissioner needs to be honest about it and hopefully some astute writers will actually ask that question at the Big East Conference Tournament when Val hands out the regular season awards. That’s wha this thread is about-Not just UConn’s SoS or their own NET ranking. The OBE was the #1 conference for quite a few years.

The only real incentive right now is additional TV money which the BE has been searching for the right team to invite into the conference that will earn it more TV money, instead of less money per school if more TV money doesn't result.
The purpose for the conference fielding WBB teams at all is to meet title IX for women's sports in general, and also so that the teams have the opportunity to qualify for the NCAAT which the BE already meets those requirements.

Any discussion about a stronger conference has to include finances since UConn just rejoined the BE in 2019-20 for financial reasons.
Otherwise a conference is just a conference, and a school can make a tougher OOC schedule if they want, or join another conference.

Right now, Creighton ranks #31, DePaul #48, Marquette is #61, and BC of the ACC is #57 in NET rankings, and BC didn't play any OOC games against a ranked team this year.

The BE already announced that it wanted to invite a new member school if possible by 2025 or so.
There's really nothing else to ask the conference about since it's already been in the news that it's a long term consideration.
There's only so many schools that might qualify to join and can improve the BE TV revenues.

Other factors include geography and academics,
No school wants to lose money to join the BE compared to their current conference income.
New_Big_East_Locations.png

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And you would be very wrong.

In the 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons combined, the Big East sent more teams to the NCAA tournament than any conference in the country. More than the SEC, more than the Big 12, more than the ACC and more than the PAC12. The old Big East was for some years the strongest conference in WCBB. The fact that UConn had long winning streaks during this years was remarkable.
That conference and this different the only thing remotely the same is the name. Also considering what is happening to the states and cities where the new big east teams are located it would seem to be an up hill battle for much improvement. The population and businesses, taxpayers and supporters are moving south.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Why should one care about the bottom. UConn has four opponents in the Big East who could make the tournament, equaling 10 competitive games. That never happened in the AAC, where for most of the run South Florida was the only competition. The AAC is also losing several of its teams to the Big 12, which will make it a much weaker conference. Also, Seton Hall, Providence and St. John’s all have individual players that are difficult match ups. This thread is nonsense.
The teams leaving the AAC might not have if UConn stayed or maybe UConn would have received an invite, the move to the BE made the football program irrelevant and costly.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Also DePaul not having their 2nd leading scorer, Sonya Morris, in the lineup just might have had something to do with the lopsided score. In the first meeting of UCONN and DePaul Morris scored 19 points. With Morris in DePaul's lineup I believe the score would have been within 4-6 points. UCONN still wins but by a smaller margin.
2nd game wasn't UConn missing both Olivia and Caroline?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That conference and this different the only thing remotely the same is the name. Also considering what is happening to the states and cities where the new big east teams are located it would seem to be an up hill battle for much improvement. The population and businesses, taxpayers and supporters are moving south.
I have no idea which post you are responding to but it can not possibly be mine.

I was responding to the post that UConn never played in a competitive conference. That is simply not true. I never said anything about the current BE and made no comparison between the former and current BE.

Reaction Score
One thing the league can do is to have a standard for housing/food, practice facilities, training facilities, etc. Then not only pay a coach but budget enough to hire good assistants and to recruit.

A lot of these catholic schools weren't even co-ed when I was in college and I'd wager that there are some my age on the Boards of Trustees who never liked the change.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I have no idea which post you are responding to but it can not possibly be mine.

I was responding to the post that UConn never played in a competitive conference. That is simply not true. I never said anything about the current BE and made no comparison between the former and current BE.
I was agreeing with your assessment of the OBE and this lesser version.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2nd game wasn't UConn missing both Olivia and Caroline?
What is your point? On 1/26 with Caroline and Olivia UCONN beat DePaul by only two points. On 2/11 without them UCONN won by 24. The injury to Morris really hurt DePaul. Obviously for the DePaul game UCONN has not miss Caroline and Olivia.

Reaction Score
Many of us hoped coming back to the Big East would improve our conference competition and with the handful of Rating websites devoted to such analysis, we have our data to assess. Yes, we know that this year the Big East seems deeper at the top with UConn, DePaul, Creighton, Marquette, Villanova and a resurgent Seton Hall which is a fine top 6. The real problem is at the bottom of the conference. When assessing a conferences relative strength, you have to look at every team's NET rating. In doing so, P5 aside, the American (yes, our old residence) is beating the Big East for 3 very important reasons-Xavier, Georgetown and Butler! These three schools are abysmal when it comes to women's hoop. There are 348 teams listed for D1 this year and Xavier is #234 (#214 in 2021), Georgetown #259 (#208) and Butler is a putrid #322 (#269). By contrast, the AAC bottom 4 are Wichita State #123, Memphis #129, Cincinnati #187 and East Carolina #166. The 4th worst BE school is Providence at #150 (#174) and given their 2021 NET rating, it is not like they are getting better but actually WORSE-YIKES!

What I find especially frustrating are:
1. It is touted that the Big East is a basketball league, whose main sport focus is basketball
2. The league hired Val Ackerman as it's Commissioner, you know, the one who led the WNBA for 20 years and should be able to tangentially focus on the WCBB in this conference as well as the Men.
3. The 4 listed pathetic teams have a long and rich history of basketball in the Men's game yet no such success (or effort) has really occurred for their women's programs. Yes, maybe PC had some initial success when the BE was launched in the 80s (when Incarnate Word was also good :rolleyes:).

When will the league and Ms. Ackerman address the Pink elephant in the room and get more resources and focus at these schools to lift up the rest of the league. A chain is only as NET ratings.

So, while we can feel better that maybe the BE can get 3 teams in the field this year, we need to strengthen all 11 or at least make the bottom 4 not so terrible.
I believe most leagues have 'Pink Elephants' teams in their league! This also includes the men's league.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
What is your point? On 1/26 with Caroline and Olivia UCONN beat DePaul by only two points. On 2/11 without them UCONN won by 24. The injury to Morris really hurt DePaul. Obviously for the DePaul game UCONN has not miss Caroline and Olivia.
2nd game UConn missing more production, that's the point.

Reaction Score
I feel your argument is flawed. In a normal year NET would not be a problem. UConn has typically been an RPI and NET leader and the Conference has always had bottom dwellers. We would be again this year except we did not win the games that would have elevated us; SCAR, Louisville, Oregon, Georgia Tech. Also we will probably not make up two games against the best of the BE; Marquette and DePaul.

We could have had a very good NET this year but blew it.

Also you are confusing Val Ackerman's job with those of the individual AD's.
We already played Depaul twice and will play Marquette for the second time next week. Currently, we are 3-0 against them in the three games we have played so far.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The teams leaving the AAC might not have if UConn stayed or maybe UConn would have received an invite, the move to the BE made the football program irrelevant and costly.
You really think that Houston, Cincinnati and UCF would turn down an invite from the Big 12 just so they could continue hanging out with UConn in the AAC? LOL.

And no, UConn was not getting an invite to the Big 12. This is fantasy talk.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You really think that Houston, Cincinnati and UCF would turn down an invite from the Big 12 just so they could continue hanging out with UConn in the AAC? LOL.

And no, UConn was not getting an invite to the Big 12. This is fantasy talk.
Having possibly the biggest name in college basketball in your conference with the northeast exposure wouldn't have helped. Having the UConn football team playing in a conference wouldn't have pushed real improvements in the program? We don't know, just a thought, opinion. As valid as anyone's.

Reaction Score
Do women get a share of the pot? With the present accounting system, don't men only generate and share in the profit?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom