NEPSAC NCAA Scholastic Showcase this weekend in Avon | The Boneyard

NEPSAC NCAA Scholastic Showcase this weekend in Avon

Reaction Score
The 2021 NEPSAC Showcase is this weekend at Avon Old Farms. It's an approved event for coaches to attend and scout. Does anyone know if the general public is allowed to attend? Might be a chance to check out some prospects.

Kyle Filipowski (2022), Taylor Bol Bowen (2023), and TJ Power (2023) are 3 prospects that UConn is interested in. There's a long list of players there. Anyone else of interest? Gavin Griffiths (2023)? Papa Kante (2023)?

Information on the event with a long list of players participating:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 2021 NEPSAC Showcase is this weekend at Avon Old Farms. It's an approved event for coaches to attend and scout. Does anyone know if fans are allowed to attend? Might be a chance to check out some prospects.

Kyle Filipowski (2022), Taylor Bol Bowen (2023), and TJ Power (2023) are 3 prospects that UConn is interested in. There's a long list of players there. Anyone else of interest? Gavin Griffiths (2023)? Papa Kante (2023)?

Information on the event with a long list of players participating:

I think it may not be open to the public. If I'm free (depends on my grad class schedule) I'll head over and watch though. There will be a live stream according to this link.

Reaction Score
The timing of this event surprises me. So many of these kids are just enrolling in the schools, they can hardly know each others names yet. Rules must be different than college. Does Nepsac have summer sessions and allow team practices? So many of these kids will be playing a big July AAU schedule, that it can't really mix with being on campus at these schools. Seems like really odd timing for such an event. It would be nice to see the kids play, but the team coordination likely won't be a shadow of in season play. Love to have the live stream work and get a couple reports from anybody that can attend.

Reaction Score
The timing of this event surprises me. So many of these kids are just enrolling in the schools, they can hardly know each others names yet. Rules must be different than college. Does Nepsac have summer sessions and allow team practices? So many of these kids will be playing a big July AAU schedule, that it can't really mix with being on campus at these schools. Seems like really odd timing for such an event. It would be nice to see the kids play, but the team coordination likely won't be a shadow of in season play. Love to have the live stream work and get a couple reports from anybody that can attend.
It's a little strange but it's better than just having random teams. That would be like pick up games at the park. I'm assuming a majority of the players have played for their school, although as you mentioned I'm sure each team has new players that are enrolling next year and haven't played with their teammates yet.

Looks like it is not open to the public based on this from the FAQ link (FAQ - Showcase Event 2021.pdf):

Q. Can parents stay and watch?
Unfortunately, parents will not be able to watch games inside the facility. However, we will be offering the option for live-streaming, which can be found HERE.

Here's the link to the live stream if anyone wants to check out any of the games: Exclusive videos from Nepsac - PlaySight

Here is the link to the entire list of players (in alphabetical order) and when each is playing: Player Schedule (1).pdf

Reaction Score
Watching a bit of TJ Power at the moment. As expected, the game quality doesn't translate to being able to conclude anything. He moves well and seems like a poor man's Karaban. He is playing against comparable size. Took a couple jumpers he didn't hit but looked comfortable. Went to the basket a couple times nicely. Seemed to have some Tyrese Martin in him that 2-3x he didn't lay the ball in, or tip it successfully, but stayed with it for 3-4 tries from 1ft until it did go down. Seems like a solid player that will be complimentary on a D1 team with other top players, rather than a 'go to' guy. I don't get the feeling he shoots with percentage but this is a tiny sample and I don't think I can watch these teams play the whole game.

FYI this was a game with your arms at your sides unless your guy had the ball. When your guy catches a pass the defender takes 1 step in his direction and raises his arm half heartedly. TJ just missed another outside shot, but again he looks good taking it. I can't watch more.

Reaction Score
Live feed in the Brewster game was basically unwatchable. 15-30 seconds of action followed by 15-30 seconds of scrambled picture like a premium channel you're not paying for. The lousy feed was compounded by the poor camera work that several times showed the wrong end of the court when the action was at the other end. Better than nothing but a pretty frustrating hour. Buzelis brings the ball up court at times. Saw a quality 3 and good activity that validates the highlight videos of him. I think he is the player the highlight videos depict. Ducharme hit a 3 but didn't handle the ball much. I expected him to play with the ball more. Desonte Bowen seems like the only pure guard starting, and Jenkins seems like the primary guard when the second platoon is in. I never picked out Taylor Bowen if he played. Yann Farrell looks like a player but he never touched the ball at any time I had a picture. It was tough to read South Kent numbers, but the guy I think was Papa Kante looked like a nice player in the mold of Kenton Facey. Hit a nice 15ft baseline jumper at one point. Hopefully tomorrow morning's 10am feed will be better. May take a peak at Filipowski at 8pm tonight.

Reaction Score

UConn mentioned in here with Filipowski, Bowen, Buzelis

Filipowski has been having a huge year so far and is expected to have a sizable bump in our next updated rankings.

Cool. He's at 86 in 247Sports ranking right now. Seems 247Sports doesn't make their way up to the northeast much. Seems almost all of the northeast kids are much higher ranked in the composite rankings.

A friend of mine sometimes helps out with the Middlesex Magic and he's been raving about Dom Campbell for a long time. Sounds like he's blowing up.

Reaction Score
Desmond Claude '22 from New Haven plays for St. Thomas More picked up BC, Providence, and Seton Hall offers in the last few days.
Desmond Claude on Twitter: "After a great conversation with Coach Greg McDermott and the coaching staff I am thankful and blessed to receive an offer to Creighton University #GoJays #BigEast https://post original url/J5hb8sIOry" / Twitter

Reaction Score
Watched Filipowski's 8pm game which was his second game of the day. Played with low energy moment to moment but that is understandable having already played a full game today. He scored a lot around the basket, had at least 3 'and 1's' and numerous assists, (5-8), mostly in transition. Hit all his free throws cleanly. Defense is not a strength and he may have a huge way to go, or, was just going through the motions in a blowout. Offensively he would be a stat sheet stuffer. The only 3 I saw him take was an Andre Jackson/Adama Sanogo brick. I doubt that is typical. Please not Syracuse. His brother is not at the same level. In a college game brother would have been in concussion protocol the way he hit his head on the floor on a play.

Reaction Score
10am Brewster feed much better. Brewster went with their bench and subbed starters in here and there. Taylor Bowen only played a couple possessions in each half. Clearly a bad wheel and limping significantly. Much less physically developed than the video clips had me believing. Very skinny and couldn't hold position at all defensively, (which I attribute to strength rather than ankle). Yann Farrell showed nothing then blocked a shot, sank a 3, sank another 3 that didn't count, and overall played better. Sort of reminds me of Sean Ellison from years ago that should have been better given his tools. Matas Buzelis is the real deal. Dribbling at the corner he brought the dribble behind his back and drove the baseline when a guy closed out. Also barely missed an alley oop dunk that he had to reach far away from his body to make a one hand catch and tomahawk the ball in one motion in a manner that reminded me of Bouknight's East Carolina highlight dunk. Plus he makes his foul shots and naturally just plays with more energy than other guys. When he fills out a bit he will be a player. He was on the bench a lot this game with the other starters. Reid Ducharme refuses to make his shots because I have an image of him as a knockdown shooter. A couple times he showed he could handle well in the open court. Nice to get a feel for these guys but this game the coaching staff was clearly evaluating the quality of the bench players. Jenkins seemed a bit pedestrian to me. He didn't make mistakes and did hit a 3, but it wasn't obvious from this game that he is an elite guard.

Take everything for what it is worth. Several kids upped their games and looked very average at different times in the same game. Except Buzelis who should be a key target.

Reaction Score
10am Brewster feed much better. Brewster went with their bench and subbed starters in here and there. Taylor Bowen only played a couple possessions in each half. Clearly a bad wheel and limping significantly. Much less physically developed than the video clips had me believing. Very skinny and couldn't hold position at all defensively, (which I attribute to strength rather than ankle). Yann Farrell showed nothing then blocked a shot, sank a 3, sank another 3 that didn't count, and overall played better. Sort of reminds me of Sean Ellison from years ago that should have been better given his tools. Matas Buzelis is the real deal. Dribbling at the corner he brought the dribble behind his back and drove the baseline when a guy closed out. Also barely missed an alley oop dunk that he had to reach far away from his body to make a one hand catch and tomahawk the ball in one motion in a manner that reminded me of Bouknight's East Carolina highlight dunk. Plus he makes his foul shots and naturally just plays with more energy than other guys. When he fills out a bit he will be a player. He was on the bench a lot this game with the other starters. Reid Ducharme refuses to make his shots because I have an image of him as a knockdown shooter. A couple times he showed he could handle well in the open court. Nice to get a feel for these guys but this game the coaching staff was clearly evaluating the quality of the bench players. Jenkins seemed a bit pedestrian to me. He didn't make mistakes and did hit a 3, but it wasn't obvious from this game that he is an elite guard.

Take everything for what it is worth. Several kids upped their games and looked very average at different times in the same game. Except Buzelis who should be a key target.
R..How would you compare Buzelis to Karaban or Flip re: playing style/skill set?? Just curious because I know you've done your homework on both guys.

Reaction Score
Buzelis is a clone. Just not a fraction of the strength yet. He does all the same things. They all get to the line by taking contact, all make their trips to the line count, shoot, rebound, drive, handle in traffic, handle in the open court, dish to the open man, etc. Filipowski 6'10-6'11, Karaban 6'7 - 6'8, Buzelis 6'9. Difference is Filipowski is a 4-5, Karaban is a 4-3 that I have seen play the 5 against 7' ranked players and hold his own. Buzelis is unlikely to be a 5 even in a pinch. Probably positionless between the 4 & 3 like a rich man's Tyler Polley.

Also watching a few minutes of Gavin Griffith draining 3's like a Cole Swider clone, but it is time to abandon live stream and enjoy life for a few hours.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
flip, 1. matas, 1a. yes, please. just wait for that guy to start hitting the micky d's with a plan. tasty.

notice how well his shooting hand controls the ball when it's way up in the air. not common at all. 16 years old.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom