Nelson gets to do a victory lap | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nelson gets to do a victory lap

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, feel free to explain how you're 1000% right in a thread where you're 100000000% wrong. I'll wait.
I'm waiting for you to say something like "I'm a righty who likes being right and righting"

Are you ever going to admit that you were completely wrong on this, and that I was completely right?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Are you ever going to admit that you were completely wrong on this, and that I was completely right?

Sure, I Guess you're right that we dropped football and joined the ACC. I guess my news feed was broken.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your underlying assumption is that independence is worse than the AAC for football. I think independence would be liberating for football to get UConn out of this goat rodeo of a conference, and would be more lucrative. I think SNY would pay UConn at least $1MM a year for 6-7 home games, and we could possibly even do better if we went to the Big East for hoops because Fox might pick up a game or two and help us schedule.

You make assertions about independence that were true 20 years ago, but are no longer valid. There will be 50-80 FBS schools looking for games because scheduling FCS schools is going to become much less common with the playoff system. The playoff system will also make 9 game conference schedules less appealing. It is going to be much easier to put together an independent schedule that it was 20 or even 10 years ago.

If you want to see basketball succeed, moving to the Big East or even taking a shot at a partial ACC membership is a no brainer. If you want to see football succeed, going independent is a no brainer. If you want to shake things up and see if UConn can smoke out a P5 invitation, doing something creative is a no brainer. If you want to see UConn die a slow death, staying in the AAC is a no brainer.

I am the Nostra-scalitoing-damus of conference realignment. I made the above post at the end of the the thread that peptool linked, in April 2014. That whole thread is genius actually, and one of the more intelligent discussions this board had on football independence back then. Don't let the fact that peptool has no idea what is happening in the thread dissuade anyone from checking it out.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I am the Nostra-scalitoing-damus of conference realignment. I made the above post at the end of the the thread that peptool linked, in April 2014. That whole thread is genius actually, and one of the more intelligent discussions this board had on football independence back then. Don't let the fact that peptool has no idea what is happening in the thread dissuade anyone from checking it out.

Ha. So, you're wrong in that post about:
1) independent football scheduling, which is impacted by your next wrong
2) conference game count. 3 out of 5 at 9. The other 2 consider it, essentially, on an ongoing basis. Not even a hint of dropping from anyone

Never mind a buy-in costs twice as much for us, even in the AAC, as an FCS game. That may cut some of the P5 out (mostly the teams we have a chance against too).

Also never mind that we have a "peer" of sorts to match against during this time frame, which disproves everything you wrote, too (UMass), but carry on...

ALSO never mind probably the most pressing issue we have as a football independent - the collusion in the P5 to dictate OOC schedule strength. If I'm the AD, I'm trying like mad to figure out how we stay on the "P5" list that we're on now for the Indiana and Illinois games, and getting the same distinction for other conferences. Without that, we essentially become a REALLY expensive FCS opponent. Combine that with any movements to 9 games, our impending blackball with the AAC teams, AND the fact we have 2 of our most appropriate OOC matchups already under contract (UMass and BC), and the scheduling piece is next to impossible, without help.

*IF* we can work out a scheduling alliance via FOX, or via some creative work with basketball (which has had only very limited success prior), we may have a chance, but the inventory for desirable OOC games is already small, and trending downward.

Reaction Score
If you listened to the Calhoun’s interview he was very concerned about football.
He believes a school the size of UConn has to have a viable football team to be considered a major player in athletics. We are not a small private institution.
He also believes in Randy’s ability to rebuild the program.
I don’t see Nelson Vindicated in the least. even if Randy fails.
We failed in football because of poor leadership and years of bad teams alienating the fan base. If our won loss record in the AAC were reversed football would be the toughest ticket in the state. That’s a much lower standard than basketball whose fan base is questionable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Nelson after the TV contract announcement yesterday.

Reaction Score
You wanted to drop the football program. We don't use chat rooms anymore. Everything said now is saved.

Run the imaginary bases all you want.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You wanted to drop the football program. We don't use chat rooms anymore. Everything said now is saved.

Run the imaginary bases all you want.

It is spelled s-c-o-r-e-b-o-.

Reaction Score
It is spelled s-c-o-r-e-b-o-.

Then came the football-is-doomed mindset.

Have the "scoreboard". Whatever makes you happy.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The conference was the ACC.

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt” ― Mark Twain.

Reaction Score
Who starts a thread to pat themselves on the back for being sorta right??

Reaction Score
Nelson can pat himself on the back on this one. He takes plenty of heat for his opinions.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
What a trip down memory lane. Nelson vs Pepband. Somethings never change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom