Nell Fortner Next Georgia Tech Head Coach. | The Boneyard

Nell Fortner Next Georgia Tech Head Coach.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS: Multiple sources confirm to me & @HighPostHoops that Georgia Tech is set to announce Nell Fortner as their next head women's basketball coach. #NCAAW

EXCLUSIVE: Georgia Tech set to name Nell Fortner head coach

Short Bio:
Nell Fortner is the former women's college basketball coach at Auburn. She is most well known for leading the 2000 Olympics team to a gold medal. She has received numerous awards including the 1997 National Coach of the Year, the 2000 USA Basketball Coach of the Year and the 2008 SEC Coach of the Year. Wikipedia

Born: March 3, 1959 (age 60 years), Jackson, MS

2012–present: ESPN (analyst)
Education: The University of Texas at Austin, New Braunfels High School

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Nell's name is well known in WBB Circles.

However, do the players and families she's recruiting know who she is other then a TV Personality.

Reaction Score
I like Nell. She has a nice disposition. Don’t know about her coaching ability though

Reaction Score
Felisha Legette-Jack coach of the University of Buffalo is being consider for the Georgia Tech & Penn State coaching jobs.

Reaction Score
Nell's name is well known in WBB Circles.

However, do the players and families she's recruiting know who she is other then a TV Personality.
They will after they Google her name.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Nell had some good Auburn teams. Dewanna Bonner was a former great. If she can keep the players from transferring she will have a pretty good nucleus.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Nell is more creative as a coach than as an announcer. Without sounding too sarcastic, this is good news since I felt she added little in the booth.

Reaction Score
I have always enjoyed Nell. It seems that that her career goes from Coach to broadcasting, to Coach back to broadcasting. Well, it seems she got her next Coach position.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If true, interesting.

ESPN also used her for Volleyball, as she also has a background there. Best known, probably, for her Olympic Team coaching. I don't know her college record off-hand, but always felt she was a good, not great, coach.

Reaction Score
Great!! We won't have to listen to her platitudes any more. And although I'm not one of those who feels overly sensitive to anti-UConn comments by announcers, I always thought she had a glint in her eye when she reported on UConn's occasional failings.

Reaction Score
EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS: Multiple sources confirm to me & @HighPostHoops that Georgia Tech is set to announce Nell Fortner as their next head women's basketball coach. #NCAAW

EXCLUSIVE: Georgia Tech set to name Nell Fortner head coach

Short Bio:
Nell Fortner is the former women's college basketball coach at Auburn. She is most well known for leading the 2000 Olympics team to a gold medal. She has received numerous awards including the 1997 National Coach of the Year, the 2000 USA Basketball Coach of the Year and the 2008 SEC Coach of the Year. Wikipedia

Born: March 3, 1959 (age 60 years), Jackson, MS

2012–present: ESPN (analyst)
Education: The University of Texas at Austin, New Braunfels High School
Wonder if there were any conversations with Tenn. Interesting and very detailed blog on VolNation about potential coaches and I don't remember anyone mentioning Nell.

Reaction Score
Fortner has reached out to LSU assistant coach Tasha Butts for a job as assistant coach

Reaction Score
Tasha butts is leaving LSU for Georgia tech

She sees the end coming most likely.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know, I just don't have a good feeling about her as a head coach in 2020, her career highlights included 3 NCAAT appearances, never getting beyond the 2nd round in 9 years of coaching. She had 1 great year -huge outlier compare to her next best 2 years. She had 2 ok years and then a lot of mediocre seasons. I just think the game has passed her by that the teams will struggle. 10 years out of coaching is a long time. I won't miss her as an announcer but with Holly gone, there is a void to be filled... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I have to say I was excited for GA tech, then I realized it was Carol Ross I was thinking about instead of Fortner.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I like Nell Fortner. I think she was a good coach. She had some really great Auburn teams (Dewanna Bonner) that got some bad draws in the NCAA or they would have gone deeper. I think once they were a #2 seed and got hosed by being sent to Rutgers instead of playing at home.

I honestly think she is there to bring a calming sense to the program. Establish a positive relationship with the players and get the program going in the desired direction. I could see here there for a few years and possibly handing the program over to Tasha Butts who is from Georgia and just named to the staff.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I like Nell Fortner. I think she was a good coach. She had some really great Auburn teams (Dewanna Bonner) that got some bad draws in the NCAA or they would have gone deeper. I think once they were a #2 seed and got hosed by being sent to Rutgers instead of playing at home.

I honestly think she is there to bring a calming sense to the program. Establish a positive relationship with the players and get the program going in the desired direction. I could see here there for a few years and possibly handing the program over to Tasha Butts who is from Georgia and just named to the staff.
That was about the only time that Rutgers wasn't the one "hosed" - being sent to play on a lower seeded floor back in that format. Don't miss it, firm believer that the top 16 teams earn it.

That game was a mystery to me - I mean, we slaughtered them. A former Vivian assistant coach (from Cheney) told me that the offense and defense were vintage Vivian - what she always wanted to see. Glad to hear it, but we never, ever performed like that again - running up and down the floor scoring in transition after transition opportunity while they couldn't do anything.

I am of a mixed opinion on Nell. Just don't know. Will be interested to see, I have a cousin who went to Tech so I always root (very mildly) for them to do well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom