Negativity and the best fans in the country | The Boneyard

Negativity and the best fans in the country

Reaction Score
We've been through a lot as fans of Uconn football, to say the least. If anyone was a part of the chat last night, there was a ton of negativity, naturally, surrounding this programs inauspicious start. I was one of the worst contributors (apologies to @John And @NutSt ) and it was easy to join the general disgust.
But I think our commitment to uconn football, in particular, proves that we are the best fans in the country. We have a fanbase that IS spoiled. We are an elite sports institution, yet we struggle with the biggest sport of them all. I can't think of another program that has won it's fair share of nattys in bball but struggles so mightily in D1 football. But yet we keep coming back, trying to figure this thing out. If Duke can do it so can we.
I know that next week we will all be back with the same level of interest. That is all we can do.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
terminator GIF

Reaction Score
We've been through a lot as fans of Uconn football, to say the least. If anyone was a part of the chat last night, there was a ton of negativity, naturally, surrounding this programs inauspicious start. I was one of the worst contributors (apologies to @John And @NutSt ) and it was easy to join the general disgust.
But I think our commitment to uconn football, in particular, proves that we are the best fans in the country. We have a fanbase that IS spoiled. We are an elite sports institution, yet we struggle with the biggest sport of them all. I can't think of another program that has won it's fair share of nattys in bball but struggles so mightily in D1 football. But yet we keep coming back, trying to figure this thing out. If Duke can do it so can we.
I know that next week we will all be back with the same level of interest. That is all we can do.

In the big picture, we haven’t been doing this very long. We were very late to the party.

We’re not seen as serious because we chose to be independent for the basketball team. This is our cross to bear.

I will reiterate, that we are still new to this. And we are an afterthought to an afterthought.

But historically speaking KU and Duke are bad at this. Kentucky has also been a doormat in the SEC.

Those three schools have the benefit of a P5 recruiting tailwind. Which we will likely never have.

We used to have that in the Big East. And it should come as no surprise that was the last time this team looked competent.

Reaction Score
I legitimately lost my last night. I was over the top and my family was appalled with how i reacted watching the game. I try to be rational but that was hard to watch and not think about our recent past. I felt like we were beyond these types of games particularly after in my mind not playing well and hanging in against NC state. I will be back nwxt week but the sense of pessimism that dominated my thoughts a few years ago is back.

Reaction Score
I legitimately lost my last night. I was over the top and my family was appalled with how i reacted watching the game. I try to be rational but that was hard to watch and not think about our recent past. I felt like we were beyond these types of games particularly after in my mind not playing well and hanging in against NC state. I will be back nwxt week but the sense of pessimism that dominated my thoughts a few years ago is back.
Perfect summary. You are certainly not alone.

Reaction Score
In the big picture, we haven’t been doing this very long. We were very late to the party.

We’re not seen as serious because we chose to be independent for the basketball team. This is our cross to bear.

I will reiterate, that we are still new to this. And we are an afterthought to an afterthought.

But historically speaking KU and Duke are bad at this. Kentucky has also been a doormat in the SEC.

Those three schools have the benefit of a P5 recruiting tailwind. Which we will likely never have.

We used to have that in the Big East. And it should come as no surprise that was the last time this team looked competent.
We're not seen as serious because we suck. People don't really dive too far into it. Hiring the snake Edsall back for pennies and canceling the season when everyone else played are higher on the list than UConn going to the Big East for basketball and Independent in football but none of that really matters much in the end. Everyone I've ever talked to outside the fanbase wondered why the hell we weren't playing in the Big East, they didn't even know what conference we were playing in. Our football team doesn't even register with people.

Reaction Score
It is really hard to be positive when you keep witnessing the same show over and over.

After all these years, we still can't put together a competent offense. I mean even GSU's offense looked way better. Seriously, how hard is it to hire a decent OC and let him go to work on the portal and put together an offense that's like 80% of most FBS programs?

Reaction Score

There is a difference between p5 and indy visibility for sure but I wonder how attractive being a p5 bottom feeder is to some recruits. Many of these teams remain bottom feeders in their conferences for years and years. I don't envy vanderbilt. Their time in the SEC has not helped them. I live in Nashville and that program is as irrelevant as they come.
All in all, we need to turn this season around for any future success.

Reaction Score
@Punkbo Thanks for giving me reason to watch till the final bell
Not a problem. You seem like a good dude. I’m not nearly as pessimistic as many on this board. Yes, last night was a problem, but I believe in Coach Mora. We knew this would take some time after the disaster that was Edsall 2.0. Anyone that compares this team to those teams is crazy. The 2018 defense was historically bad. We gave up over 600 yards and 50 points per game.

Reaction Score

All of this is fluff. If we didn't suck, people would take us seriously regardless of conference.

Reaction Score
Until the AD gets his crap together on football it will be a dung show. He’s slow to react to just about everything unless it’s orange and bounces. That’s his safe space where he can feel good about himself. Get some sack and fire for failure. Hold people accountable. Until OC is sent packing they aren’t serious. We cannot tolerate and accept failure any more.

Reaction Score
I live in the heart of the B12 country. I am not joking when I say that high school teams in Texas have better offensive game plans and adjustments. I watched such a game in person this past Friday.

I've spent the entire summer telling all my friends that this year is different. That we are not longer a punchline. That we would be a good fit for the B12. To say that I got snarky text messages last night would be an understatement.

They really don't care what conference we're in or not in. They want to watch good football. We want to watch good football...

Reaction Score
I live in the heart of the B12 country. I am not joking when I say that high school teams in Texas have better offensive game plans and adjustments. I watched such a game in person this past Friday.

I've spent the entire summer telling all my friends that this year is different. That we are not longer a punchline. That we would be a good fit for the B12. To say that I got snarky text messages last night would be an understatement.

They really don't care what conference we're in or not in. They want to watch good football. We want to watch good football...

I live here too buddy. The tiny Christian School down the street that plays 8 man seems more creative.

Charlton ball is playing defense on offense. There is some goodness in there but he smothers it with terrible decisions and conservative play calling.

Reaction Score
I always watch/listen to every single game, even though most of the time it’s an exercise in masochism. And I frequently have very negative things to say in chat. But I’ve tried rooting for other teams and for better or for worse, I just struggle to root seriously for anyone who isn’t UConn.

I just wish that they’d get their act together. Everyone in charge KNOWS how important football is in terms of money and conferences and yet they find a way to screw it up. They’re stuck in a loser mentality where being mediocre is almost as good as getting to the CFP.

I don’t know what the right answer is, but someone who is getting paid more than me should get a clue.

Reaction Score
I live here too buddy. The tiny Christian School down the street that plays 8 man seems more creative.

Charlton ball is playing defense on offense. There is some goodness in there but he smothers it with terrible decisions and conservative play calling.
And yet you think we should keep him around or have to keep him around all season? If we aren't playing to win and are always fine with scrapping seasons what's the point of having a team?

Reaction Score
And yet you think we should keep him around or have to keep him around all season? If we aren't playing to win and are always fine with scrapping seasons what's the point of having a team?

It doesn’t matter at this point.

If Mora and Charlton aren’t getting along then maybe it’s for the best but I think it will do more harm than good.

It’s absurd that we are paying him $400k.

Reaction Score
As a UConn graduate and being 84 years old, the game last night was most disappointing. Leaves one questioning how all the reports coming out this spring and summer as to how good the team was going to be, makes me wonder how they could be beat so badly. It just doesn't make sense that RI nearly beat this team and we were out of it so early. I believe coach Mora is deeply committed to making the Huskies a competitive team, and must be bitterly disappointed in how they played. Being critical of a coach the day after a loss is what we do, especially when it is a game we were expected, and needed to win. I will, and hope others will join me, in giving UConn football another couple of games to turn things in a better direction. If we all jump ship, albeit with good reason, I believe it takes a brick out of the wall of a great athletic institution. I ask you to join me in giving Coach JM time to stop the bleeding and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. The old saying, it's not how many times you get knocked down, but rather how many times you get up, applies here for sure. Thanks for all who have posted, both critical and supportive, but again, I ask you to join and "old man" and let's go huskies. Thanks for reading.

Reaction Score
As a UConn graduate and being 84 years old, the game last night was most disappointing. Leaves one questioning how all the reports coming out this spring and summer as to how good the team was going to be, makes me wonder how they could be beat so badly. It just doesn't make sense that RI nearly beat this team and we were out of it so early. I believe coach Mora is deeply committed to making the Huskies a competitive team, and must be bitterly disappointed in how they played. Being critical of a coach the day after a loss is what we do, especially when it is a game we were expected, and needed to win. I will, and hope others will join me, in giving UConn football another couple of games to turn things in a better direction. If we all jump ship, albeit with good reason, I believe it takes a brick out of the wall of a great athletic institution. I ask you to join me in giving Coach JM time to stop the bleeding and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. The old saying, it's not how many times you get knocked down, but rather how many times you get up, applies here for sure. Thanks for all who have posted, both critical and supportive, but again, I ask you to join and "old man" and let's go huskies. Thanks for reading.
Post of the year

Reaction Score

Years. Not weeks. But great post.

Reaction Score
Beautifully put, and thank you for the much needed perspective!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Coach Mora has the experience and name recognition to get us in a better place. He has to have a couple of difficult conversations:

1) Tell AD Dave that he’s on top of it and ask him to support his upcoming decisions

2) Fire Charlton. Buy out his contract

3) tell the players that the coaches have failed them but that is going to change. Starting 0-2 is the beginning of a 10-2 season. It all starts now

4) Make personnel and coaching adjustments ahead of FIU, particularly with QB1

5) win big against FIU to cleanse the palate

6) repeat against Duke

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Edsall destroyed this team. There wasn’t even a foundation left to build with. Mora started from square one and had a good first year. We may take a step back this year, but it’s more because our expectations are so high, then the team is worse than it was last year. I‘m all for giving him plenty of time to right this ship. It won’t ever get worse than Edsall 2.0.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom