Need to vomit? Read this squid fluff piece... | The Boneyard

Need to vomit? Read this squid fluff piece...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Damn I tried but I just couldn't finish the article. Too long for me to read about someone I could care less about.

Can someone please summarize?

Reaction Score
Didn't read it either but read a story linked on Yahoo about rumblings Cal may try the NBA again. I'm sure its nothing but a clickbait article, but I do agree that having year after year of success with Kentucky might make him try the NBA again. Now that he's perfected his style of all the best kids coming to town so his coaching job is primarily ensuring the egos can fit together and play basketball, it does make sense to try again in the NBA. To me, most of the NBA coaching job is just that, managing egos and fitting skilled players together in the right way.

I hope he goes!!

Reaction Score
Didn't read it either but read a story linked on Yahoo about rumblings Cal may try the NBA again. I'm sure its nothing but a clickbait article, but I do agree that having year after year of success with Kentucky might make him try the NBA again. Now that he's perfected his style of all the best kids coming to town so his coaching job is primarily ensuring the egos can fit together and play basketball, it does make sense to try again in the NBA. To me, most of the NBA coaching job is just that, managing egos and fitting skilled players together in the right way.

I hope he goes!!

There was a story int the local North Jersey paper that Cal is considering the Nets again. Thus, I just spent the last 5 minutes looking into rumors that the NCAA is looking at Kentucky because Coach Cal leaving a college team does not happen with out the NCAA visiting it 30 seconds later. Just as Memphis and UMass.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He'll go back and fail in the NBA again once the whole "let's go to Kentucky" recruitment phase is over, which might be sooner than people expect because it seems like everyone in America wants them to lose.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...y-happen-again-leaves-go-back-ncaa-tournament

Seriously - the paragraph about being a "worthy model" and Wooden is just awful.
Did you even read the article? This is far from a fluff piece It is balance look at cal. It goes on why he failed at NJ. Lots of quotes from his detractors. How he made a big mistake not drafting Kobe, etc. Not a fluff piece at all.

Some tidbits from the article that don't paint cal in a positive light:
"Calipari jumped all over public relations people for failing to control the news media message and low-level staffers for pulling up to the wrong pickup point at the airport. He blitzed a trainer for once suggesting in a preseason game that he call a 20-second timeout. He wouldn't allow certain employees to enter certain offices inside the team facility, and he once ordered an executive to tell one well-regarded scout that if he ever again picked up a basketball in one of Calipari's practices he'd be fired on the spot. Calipari once ripped into an assistant, Hal Wissel, for talking to a reporter in the team's parking lot; they'd been chatting about Wissel's daughter, an accomplished skater, not the wayward state of Cal's Nets."

"
Phil Jackson once told Keith Van Horn he shouldn't let Calipari talk to him in a degrading way. Michael Jordan once asked Jayson Williams how Nets players could let Calipari get away with coaching as angrily as he coached; Jordan later stared daggers through a shouting, gesturing Calipari during Game 3 of Chicago's first-round sweep.

"I was just trying to understand what he was doing," Jordan said. "He probably uses more energy than his players. ... I haven't played against a guy that runs up and down the court as much as he does. I have a lot of admiration for his players, being able to deal with that.""

"Only, according to one team official, Calipari didn't like to engage in uncomfortable conversations with players scheduled to be disciplined or cut and sometimes asked assistant Kenny Gattison -- a former NBA power forward -- to sit in on meetings as something of a bodyguard. Calipari angered some in the organization by swearing in the papers he'd never trade a particular player one day, then quietly trying to ship him out the next."

It is a good read

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't see Cal leaving Kentucky for the NBA, similar to Saban and Alabama.

Hate him or not, Calipari has done an incredible job at Kentucky during his tenure. Multiple FF appearances, a national championship and multiple lottery picks all within the past five years. Kentucky can (and will) pay him as much money as he could command in the NBA, and he could continue to operate the top basketball program in major college sports. Why would he leave this gig?

Reaction Score
I've heard Cal to Cleveland should they flounder. Cal and Lebron are soulmates or some crap like that. In all seriousness, I read somewhere that Lebron wants Cal to coach him. Even with the UK job, you'd think coaching Lebron would be pretty enticing to an egomaniac like the Squid.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I hope he goes!!

Year after year of success with Kentucky? He's won one national title.

In that case Geno should have been in the NBA by 1996.

And I'm not shooting at your post by the way. I don't disagree he's been successful but if you're right that he's thinking of leaving because he's bored of winning, he should try to win more before using that reasoning.

Reaction Score
Cal is surviving because of the system he built at Kentucky which has little to do with coaching ability. Not saying he is a terrible coach or a terrible person for that matter because he isn't but there are probably 500-1000 choices that would be better for the Nets job.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Did you even read the article? blah blah blah....

Did you read the paragraph i cited? If you didn't, I can paraphrase it with:

"Cal is now running a program that is the model, and is well-coached. He's so awesome, he can't possibly be as bad as a coach and GM as he actually was"

Reaction Score
Year after year of success with Kentucky? He's won one national title.

In that case Geno should have been in the NBA by 1996.

And I'm not shooting at your post by the way. I don't disagree he's been successful but if you're right that he's thinking of leaving because he's bored of winning, he should try to win more before using that reasoning.

In 6 years at UK he's been to three final fours, an elite eight, won a title, and has a team with a legit shot to be the first undefeated champion since 1976. He's also won 84% of his games. I'd say that's success, no? It's easy to hate the guy, to call him a cheater et al., but you cannot deny that he has won wherever he's gone and may be the greatest recruiter of all time.

Reaction Score
In 6 years at UK he's been to three final fours, an elite eight, won a title, and has a team with a legit shot to be the first undefeated champion since 1976. He's also won 84% of his games. I'd say that's success, no? It's easy to hate the guy, to call him a cheater et al., but you cannot deny that he has won wherever he's gone and may be the greatest recruiter of all time.

Exactly. People get so butthurt about any coach or player being considered good or a success, good god get over yourselves

Reaction Score

Don'cha mean the dirtiest recruiter of all time?:cool:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

You must have missed the line in my post where I said "I don't disagree he's been successful."

Again, I don't disagree he's been successful but if he's so bored in college and wants to go back to the NBA, so be it. I just think he needs another reason to be bored because he has one title. John Wooden probably got bored; John Calipari has a few more titles to win in a row before he says he's bored with all the winning he's doing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Hate him or not, Calipari has done an incredible job at Kentucky during his tenure. Multiple FF appearances, a national championship and multiple lottery picks all within the past five years. Kentucky can (and will) pay him as much money as he could command in the NBA, and he could continue to operate the top basketball program in major college sports. Why would he leave this gig?
The difference. Calipari washed out of the NBA the first time. Saban quit on the NFL.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I've heard Cal to Cleveland should they flounder. Cal and Lebron are soulmates or some crap like that. In all seriousness, I read somewhere that Lebron wants Cal to coach him. Even with the UK job, you'd think coaching Lebron would be pretty enticing to an egomaniac like the Squid.
I think they share the same management.

Reaction Score
Damn I tried but I just couldn't finish the article. Too long for me to read about someone I could care less about.

Can someone please summarize?

Bingo - same here!

Reaction Score
Don'cha mean the dirtiest recruiter of all time?:cool:

Aren't they one in the same? He's dominating a dirty system in a way that no one has ever done before. What's truly underrated, imo, is that he has gotten all of the McD AAs to buy into being part time players. It's amazing. We struggle to get guys when we have starting spots available. He gets a one and done guy to split time with another one and done.

Reaction Score

Because his ego is larger than the state of Kentucky (plus Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, most of N America, etc.).

Reaction Score
Cal is surviving because of the system he built at Kentucky which has little to do with coaching ability. Not saying he is a terrible coach or a terrible person for that matter because he isn't but there are probably 500-1000 choices that would be better for the Nets job.

Bingo. Coach Cal is a used car Sales in an environment that supports the oddity of one-and-done's and know how to sell the pot at the end of the rainbow, i.e. a NBA draft pick, to young men at a college that puts winning about EVERYTHING else. With his recruiting classes, if he didn't win at least 20 games a year it would be hilarious.

I wonder how much his supposed wandering eye is being driven by the potential of one-and-done's going away with the next NBA collective agreement?

He's wont's make it in the NBA (again). In the NBA, a coach can't recruit, the replenish by a drafting and free agency with professional men and their agents with rules, salary caps and players who are more important to the team than the coach.

Reaction Score

He won't leave until the NCAA comes knocking, at which point he will be out the door in a flash. Way more variables that he can't control in the NBA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom