Need to make Daniels focal point: | The Boneyard

Need to make Daniels focal point:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we need to develop Daniels like Donyell. I know they aren't identical but we know we have great guards and we know our front court isn't that strong. We can play with Olander, Nolan, Wolfie, and whoever for a while as our bigs and we won't find the answer. We know we have the back court and it also seems like our recruiting strength. This makes Daniels and our wing position pivotal key. If get Daniels confidence up and have his game be the think people try and stop then it will take pressure off of the guards to deliver which should up their game. It should also hinder other teams with bigs to solely focus on beating us down low as they may have to deploy more athletic lineup rather than just bigs. If Daniels becomes our "star" then the guards will shine bright and the bigs can get by with being average.

Reaction Score
He is getting his minutes. His movements are quick and explosive, must improve handle and decision making in traffic. Loses ball on dribble and charges. He'll either get better with experience or turn out he doesn't see court well and will always be guessing on what to do next and hope to get away with it by being athletic. His jump shot from the outside seems a bit slow in terms of Jason Kidd like re almost set shot, if he is to be a slasher/scorer he needs to quicken his stroke.
See Calhoun just as pivotal on wing in 3 guard lineup. DD should have big speed advantage with our starting lineup on the guy who guards him.

caw

Reaction Score
Strength, esp. hand strength hurts him a lot.

Reaction Score
Needs to stop taking 3 pt shots and concentrate on his mid-range and driving game. His outside shot is too suspect at this time. If he can get to be at least Stanley Robinson good when he was a Sr. will be fine.

Reaction Score
Needs to stop taking 3 pt shots and concentrate on his mid-range and driving game. His outside shot is too suspect at this time. If he can get to be at least Stanley Robinson good when he was a Sr. will be fine.

At some point, when we recruit these guys who are renowned for their shot, they have to actually be good shooters. This is the same way we felt about Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Another over-sized wing who was heralded as a shooter, who we end up saying "he can't shoot, he needs to do other things."

This is a rambling post, and I'm not sure whether I'm annoyed at the coaching staff for their undue enchantment with these 6'8 wings who turn out to not be skilled enough or for their failure to properly incorporate that kind of player into the offense, but the consistent underperformance of our highly-touted recruits at the 3 has been frustrating to say the least.

Reaction Score
At some point, when we recruit these guys who are renowned for their shot, they have to actually be good shooters. This is the same way we felt about Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Another over-sized wing who was heralded as a shooter, who we end up saying "he can't shoot, he needs to do other things."

This is a rambling post, and I'm not sure whether I'm annoyed at the coaching staff for their undue enchantment with these 6'8 wings who turn out to not be skilled enough or for their failure to properly incorporate that kind of player into the offense, but the consistent underperformance of our highly-touted recruits at the 3 has been frustrating to say the least.

I don't remember Jamal Coombs-McDaniel being a good shooter just a "good scorer" coming out. He was far from a good shooter.......Roscoe was supposed to be a good shooter and he wasn't and never really looked like he was.....

I like DD's form and think he will be he just needs to take his time, maybe create more of a mid-range game before he settles for 3's all the time......but I think he can shoot!

Reaction Score
Yea I remember thinking that Jamal Coombs-McDaniel would be one of those "heady" players that could turn into a player who was good at a bunch of things. I don't remember hearing any descriptions of him suggesting he had any one standout elite skill.

I think Daniels will develop very nicely, but he really needs to add strength because he isn't quite quick enough to beat smaller guys off the dribble.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Uh, no. He needs to work on his handle and body control. Practice is good for that.

You're putting the cart before the horse. I like DD's game but he's got some work to do.

Reaction Score
DD cannot be the focal point until his decision making improves.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I watch DD and I say to myself, "wow"! He has length, quickness, can elevate and I can see him becoming a "go to" guy. And at Times I watch his poor decision making and seemingly weak handle on the ball and I cringe. One thing I observe is that DD, given his ability to shoot the ball, doesn't utilize the up fake as much as I would like to see him. When he gets the ball I can tell immediately if he is driving or shooting. I don't recall watching him faking a shot, getting his man in the air and driving the ball to the rim. This may seem like a small thing but Bobby Knight would agree.

Other than this he has come a long way and is still young enough to improve and become a really good 4 year player for us.

Reaction Score
Yea, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was described as a jack of all trades guy, usually meaning they don't really stand out at one thing but can do a bunch of things ok, he never really got hyped up as a shooter until he got here and JC started raving about his shooting ability. I was hoping he could turn into a Danny Green type, who also struggled his first few years of college. I think the biggest hindrance to Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was his athleticism, he was really slow footed and lacked leaping ability, he wasn't really an oversized wing, he's about the same size as Niels, but Niels is a much better athlete.

Yea I remember thinking that Jamal Coombs-McDaniel would be one of those "heady" players that could turn into a player who was good at a bunch of things. I don't remember hearing any descriptions of him suggesting he had any one standout elite skill.

I think Daniels will develop very nicely, but he really needs to add strength because he isn't quite quick enough to beat smaller guys off the dribble.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yea, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was described as a jack of all trades guy, usually meaning they don't really stand out at one thing but can do a bunch of things ok, he never really got hyped up as a shooter until he got here and JC started raving about his shooting ability. I was hoping he could turn into a Danny Green type, who also struggled his first few years of college. I think the biggest hindrance to Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was his athleticism, he was really slow footed and lacked leaping ability, he wasn't really an oversized wing, he's about the same size as Niels, but Niels is a much better athlete.
I thought the guy who hyped his shooting ability was chief00.

Reaction Score
DD needs to be stronger and make better basketball decisions. He is at that stage of his game that he needs the game to come to him. he is forcing things and once he learns to let thegame unfold he will be a heck of a player. He may be able to play overseas or in the D league, but not the NBA.

Reaction Score
DD needs to be stronger and make better basketball decisions. He is at that stage of his game that he needs the game to come to him. he is forcing things and once he learns to let thegame unfold he will be a heck of a player. He may be able to play overseas or in the D league, but not the NBA.

I think that's exactly right. DD needs to let the game come to him. He gets in trouble when he decides he's going to the hoop come hell or high water. He should go to the hoop when there is an opportunity. When he is isolated he tends to force the action with bad results. He should look to expand his mid-range game and that would open up the world for him.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He had six shots that were good looks but missed the mark.

Reaction Score
He is a sophmore and last year was a perfect storm mess for developing talent. This is his first year developmentally in our program. Finish this season and then 2 more and then lets see where he might go next before we send him to Europe. He has great bones.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He is a sophmore and last year was a perfect storm mess for developing talent. This is his first year developmentally in our program. Finish this season and then 2 more and then lets see where he might go next before we send him to Europe. He has great bones.
Not to mention his own personal storm mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom