OT: - Need to buy a shed | The Boneyard

OT: Need to buy a shed

Reaction Score
Looking to buy a shed. Probably 10x8 size. Price range around 800 to 1200 bucks, preferably the former. Has anyone got any insight or made a recent purchase?

Reaction Score
You can build on for much less if that interests you.

8-9 posts
2 x 8’s
Brackets
Metal roofing
Rough cut on the sides if you don't want metal

I tossed on up in under a day. Mine isnt sided as its a 8 D x 14W x 8T woodshed. Will eventually do rough cut

Reaction Score
Looking to buy a shed. Probably 10x8 size. Price range around 800 to 1200 bucks, preferably the former. Has anyone got any insight or made a recent purchase?
I bought a kit from Lowes. Came with everything but shingles, paint and floor boards. It's 12 x 8, and the all-in cost was around 1500 if I remember correctly. It's perfect for intermediate level DIYers. Easy enough to build and low cost per square foot compared to other options out there.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I went through this a year ago. I looked at the usual suspects (Home Depot etc). I finally asked around and got a referral to a handyman-type guy who built one for me. Ended up about 20% cheaper and a LOT higher quality than the other options I looked at. I can post pics if you want to see it.

on edit: here's a pic of it undergoing its structural integrity test. for reference the door opening is roughly 6'-6" tall :)
IMG_20190221_153207.jpg

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do you need the shed for storage or will this be a legit place to do some work? That will have a significant impact on what you need to buy or make.
Secondly, how much does aesthetics play in this? If it's going to been and needs to look good, you're paying more than something buried behind the house.

Reaction Score
Do you need the shed for storage or will this be a legit place to do some work? That will have a significant impact on what you need to buy or make.
Secondly, how much does aesthetics play in this? If it's going to been and needs to look good, you're paying more than something buried behind the house.
Storage. Aesthetics meh.

Reaction Score
I went through this a year ago. I looked at the usual suspects (Home Depot etc). I finally asked around and got a referral to a handyman-type guy who built one for me. Ended up about 20% cheaper and a LOT higher quality than the other options I looked at. I can post pics if you want to see it.

on edit: here's a pic of it undergoing its structural integrity test. for reference the door opening is roughly 6'-6" tall :) View attachment 53361
Looks great...what did it cost you to have it custom built?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Storage. Aesthetics meh.

If that is true, you can get a more basic shed shape and design. No need to worry about work shop essentials like electricity, lighting, windows, beer fridge, etc.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Looks great...what did it cost you to have it custom built?
I don't remember and the guy was a one-man outfit, so pretty informal. I don't have any email trail with quotes or a final invoice. But if i recall he charged me around $500-600ish plus actual material costs (including painting the thing). I think it was around $1,000 before adding a few options like the 2 sliding windows, siding and shingles that match our house (HOA requirement). But know it was lower cost than a similarly specced shed from Home Depot.

Amusing story (now anyway): In mid-summer, I was doing something in the shed. We're in the high-desert Southwest, so it was probably about 120 degrees in there. The wind blew the door shut. And when i pulled on the emergency release "string", it broke. I tried everything I could think of short of breaking a window or just breaking the door open. I yelled out the window at people walking up the street, but the shed is 100 yards+ off the street and not very visible. I was in there for close to 2 hours when my wife finally ventured into the yard wondering where the heck I was. When i yelled to her, she looked all around, and was like "where are you??". I replied "stuck in the ******** shed!" Instead of immediately helping, she had to ask "How'd that happen?" "How long have you been in there??" Then she doubled over laughing until she couldn't breathe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't remember and the guy was a one-man outfit, so pretty informal. I don't have any email trail with quotes or a final invoice. But if i recall he charged me around $500-600ish plus actual material costs (including painting the thing). I think it was around $1,000 before adding a few options like the 2 sliding windows, siding and shingles that match our house (HOA requirement). But know it was lower cost than a similarly specced shed from Home Depot.

Amusing story (now anyway): In mid-summer, I was doing something in the shed. We're in the high-desert Southwest, so it was probably about 120 degrees in there. The wind blew the door shut. And when i pulled on the emergency release "string", it broke. I tried everything I could think of short of breaking a window or just breaking the door open. I yelled out the window at people walking up the street, but the shed is 100 yards+ off the street and not very visible. I was in there for close to 2 hours when my wife finally ventured into the yard wondering where the heck I was. When i yelled to her, she looked all around, and was like "where are you??". I replied "stuck in the ******** shed!" Instead of immediately helping, she had to ask "How'd that happen?" "How long have you been in there??" Then she doubled over laughing until she couldn't breathe.
That's funny, wish i was there !!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom