Need suggestions | The Boneyard

Need suggestions

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife and I have wrapped up the White Queen and Princess, and now Black Sails. Really miss Black Sails already. We've done Westworld, Deadwood, Man in the High Castle, Outlander and some others like Peaky Blinders and Penny Dreadful. GoT starts soon, but just once a week.

We haven't watched the Wire, and when I suggested it, my wife balked at a cop show. Prefer period pieces. Any suggestions out there?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For period pieces, Foyle's War is one of my favorite shows of all time. I thought The Tudors was a very good watch for a period piece though I lost track soon after (SPOILERS!) Anne Boleyn gets it. Another period piece that was pretty good was Borgia (as opposed to The Borgias).

The two network shows I don't think get enough love for binge-watching are Justified (has a few hat tips to Deadwood along the way) and Veronica Mars.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For period pieces, Foyle's War is one of my favorite shows of all time. I thought The Tudors was a very good watch for a period piece though I lost track soon after (SPOILERS!) Anne Boleyn gets it. Another period piece that was pretty good was Borgia (as opposed to The Borgias).

The two network shows I don't think get enough love for binge-watching are Justified (has a few hat tips to Deadwood along the way) and Veronica Mars.

The Tudors became a live action documentary with once Anne Boleyn was killed, and any remaining edge the show had was fully extinguished when Thomas Cromwell bit the dust.

Shameless is freaking awesome, but doesn't lend itself to binge-watching. Same with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. 2-3 in a row is all I can handle with both shows before I need a break.

Mad Men is the best TV show in history, and a period piece from the early 60's. Turn is very good, and unlike all the British period pieces, has not been covered 500 times.

I think Shogun is (was?) available on demand from Starz. It is a miniseries from 1980 that is awesome. The Japanese cast, particularly Mifune and Yoko Shimada are amazing, even Richard Chamberlain's horrendous acting and hamming it up for the camera can't derail an almost perfect story. Mifune should have won the Emmy that year. The time period in Japan was one of the most interesting of any country's in history, and I have to believe that the intrigues and the dynamics of the different noble houses influenced George Martin. This miniseries is begging for a remake, with Ken Watanabe as Torunaga.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tudors was pretty good but that was before GoT was a thing. Henry VIII is no Baratheon but, Natalie Dormer is more nekkid.

I didn't see Sopranos on the list. That counts as a period piece. No Iphones anywhere to be seen.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

We loved Deadwood and Foyle's War. Haven't tried Veronica Mars. Tried Tudors and quit part way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tudors was pretty good but that was before GoT was a thing. Henry VIII is no Baratheon but, Natalie Dormer is more nekkid.

I didn't see Sopranos on the list. That counts as a period piece. No Iphones anywhere to be seen.

Didn't know Sopranos even needed to be listed. It's a given. Even if it isn't a period piece, it's in a faraway and exotic land where people have weird accents and mannerisms.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Shogun is (was?) available on demand from Starz.

I only watched real time but it still sticks in my mind. The present-day equivalent is UConn as Richard Chamberlain and the AAC as Japan.

Reaction Score
Since you've listed so many series that originally aired on STARZ, you should try Da Vinci's Demons that aired 2013-15. This period fiction brought the Maestro's many inventions to life. Sometimes captivating, sometimes boring, but aren't most series?

Reaction Score
My wife and I have wrapped up the White Queen and Princess, and now Black Sails. Really miss Black Sails already. We've done Westworld, Deadwood, Man in the High Castle, Outlander and some others like Peaky Blinders and Penny Dreadful. GoT starts soon, but just once a week.

We haven't watched the Wire, and when I suggested it, my wife balked at a cop show. Prefer period pieces. Any suggestions out there?
The Crown - only 1 season, but we liked it
Turn on AMC is decent, and still going.
Marco Polo was good too. Cancelled after 2 or 3 seasons, but entertaining.
Sherlock Holmes - the episodes are a bit long (nearly 90 minutes each), but my wife liked it a lot, i thought it was good not great.
The Last Kingdom is really good.
Vikings
Night Manager is a good one and done series
Goliath (not a period piece tho)
If you don;t mind sub-titles, Nobel (Norwegian) on either Amazon or Netflix is great, so was Fauda (Israeli/Arabic)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Crown - only 1 season, but we liked it
Turn on AMC is decent, and still going.
Marco Polo was good too. Cancelled after 2 or 3 seasons, but entertaining.
Sherlock Holmes - the episodes are a bit long (nearly 90 minutes each), but my wife liked it a lot, i thought it was good not great.
Vikings
Goliath (not a period piece tho)
If you don;t mind sub-titles, Nobel (Norwegian) on either Amazon or Netflix is great, so was Fauda (Israeli/Arabic)

Cool. We loved Sherlock on BBC. Started watching Turn, maybe we can go back. Wife read books on it so grew annoyed at inaccuracy. Others sound good. I watch everything with closed captions.

Reaction Score
Cool. We loved Sherlock on BBC. Started watching Turn, maybe we can go back. Wife read books on it so grew annoyed at inaccuracy. Others sound good. I watch everything with closed captions.
Agree on Turn. I like it, but like many shows base on actual events, they took a lot of liberties in connecting characters and certain events to better tie the show together.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I remember pushing you into black sails (not that you needed my help), but I'm glad you liked it. I think it got stronger as it went on, the characters developed, and the period piece aspect of the film really just sucks you in. The plot isn't even quite that important.

The Wire, while only 15 years old, is actually a little dated (as you'll notice when watching). The time period with basic cell phones, but no smart phones or top shelf computers, was a short one. And not well remembered.

And it is NOT a 'cop show'. It's a crime, gang, poverty, detective, cop, politician, union, state bureaucracy show. Brilliant realism.

If your wife is not interested, I'm not sure she will be if she does watch. I think you kind of have to be into that genre.

Though for you, it is a MUST watch. It's almost the drug slum Black Sails, in terms of how I described it above. Excellent acting, excellent period piece, excellent character development. Again, brilliant realism.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Waq. You gotta use the spoilers tag man. Nobody can stop reading that fast.
upload_2017-7-12_12-33-24.png

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Tudors became a live action documentary with once Anne Boleyn was killed, and any remaining edge the show had was fully extinguished when Thomas Cromwell bit the dust.

Shameless is freaking awesome, but doesn't lend itself to binge-watching. Same with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. 2-3 in a row is all I can handle with both shows before I need a break.

Mad Men is the best TV show in history, and a period piece from the early 60's. Turn is very good, and unlike all the British period pieces, has not been covered 500 times.

I think Shogun is (was?) available on demand from Starz. It is a miniseries from 1980 that is awesome. The Japanese cast, particularly Mifune and Yoko Shimada are amazing, even Richard Chamberlain's horrendous acting and hamming it up for the camera can't derail an almost perfect story. Mifune should have won the Emmy that year. The time period in Japan was one of the most interesting of any country's in history, and I have to believe that the intrigues and the dynamics of the different noble houses influenced George Martin. This miniseries is begging for a remake, with Ken Watanabe as Torunaga.

Shameless is good. But you can stop watching after about Season 4. It's the same thing over and over and over again.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Turn
Vikings

Second a lot of this. Especially these.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was going for the joke. In this case, calling the fact that Anne Boleyn gets killed a SPOILER. Thanks for the tagging knowledge, I learned something today.

Yeah I know, I know. But I'm naive enough to go into Tudors thinking she might live! No room for artistic licence these days it seems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom