OT: - Need help with Comcast replacement/ How to watch games and more | The Boneyard

OT: Need help with Comcast replacement/ How to watch games and more

Reaction Score
Okay, folks, it's my turn. If only I had paid attention when other people had asked this question a couple of years ago, I might not have to bother you now, but that's never how life is, is it?

We are dropping Comcast/Xfinity because of cost and arrogance (theirs, not ours). We found a decent AT&T deal for internet, so we're set there, but what to do about TV? We want to be able to watch our fairly boring bunch of regular programming plus as many UConn games as we can, which means that somehow we have to be able to pick up ESPN3, if I understand things correctly, to get at least the SNY games. Beyond sports, we watch the news channels the Weather Channel, and PBS, local channels and a few others like HGN, TLC, OWN, Hallmark, stuff like that.

What to do?

Is there an advantage to something like Sling, which, as I understand it, is $35 a month? Chromecast? Roku? We know almost nothing about this stuff. I' appreciate hearing from those of you who have dumped cable and gone for alternatives.

Thank you.

Reaction Score
Okay, folks, it's my turn. If only I had paid attention when other people had asked this question a couple of years ago, I might not have to bother you now, but that's never how life is, is it?

We are dropping Comcast/Xfinity because of cost and arrogance (theirs, not ours). We found a decent AT&T deal for internet, so we're set there, but what to do about TV? We want to be able to watch our fairly boring bunch of regular programming plus as many UConn games as we can, which means that somehow we have to be able to pick up ESPN3, if I understand things correctly, to get at least the SNY games. Beyond sports, we watch the news channels the Weather Channel, and PBS, local channels and a few others like HGN, TLC, OWN, Hallmark, stuff like that.

What to do?

Is there an advantage to something like Sling, which, as I understand it, is $35 a month? Chromecast? Roku? We know almost nothing about this stuff. I' appreciate hearing from those of you who have dumped cable and gone for alternatives.

Thank you.
The first thing to remember is in order to stream ESPN3 you must be a paying subscriber to ESPN - on cable, which you just dropped - or through some other service - either DirectTV or or a pay streaming service such as Sling or YouTube TV.

Roku is just a streaming stick which gives you easy access to a lot of streaming services - some free and many for pay subscription or PPV - but is not a streaming service itself. Chromecast is just a very useful device which allows your TV to mirror what you're streaming on your computer or mobil device, or to "cast" from that computer or mobil device to your TV (Chromecast takes over the streaming itself, letting you use your computer or mobil device for other things). I have both of these streaming devices and would highly recommend getting them* (each under $50), but you still have to be paying for ESPN somewhere else in order to stream ESPN3.

* Example: This Sunday I want to watch the Cowboys game, the Patriots game and the Yankee game, all of which are on at the same time, and likely none of which are on regular TV here in Arizona. So I will stream one of the football games on my laptop through Reddit and cast it to my TV, then use the same laptop to stream the other football game (Reddit again) and just watch it on my laptop. Finally I'll get the Yankees on MLB.TV ($90/year for Yankee games only) with Roku (plugged into a different HDMI port than my Chromecast device). I will have to toggle back and forth from the football game to the Yankee game at commercials, but basically I'll get to see all 3 games simultaneously with one TV and one computer.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I get where tomcat is coming from. We pay a small fortune for our DirecTV.

That said - with a main 5 line receiver and 2 2 line receivers (old but serviceable) I will be taping 17 college football games tomorrow, and 9 NFL games on Sunday (NFL Sunday Ticket).

We can watch most of whatever game is either most interesting as a game or most interesting as a fan (not necessarily the same) and switch to something else if it becomes not interesting. And never a commercial.

I get that I am hopelessly old fashioned, but it works for me. Perhaps at some point, I'll be the one asking questions about ditching the TV. But not yet.

My only complaint - the lack of Pac12 Network on DirecTV. And now they are feuding with ESPN.

Reaction Score
I also dropped Comcast TV service because I found I seldom watched their regular programming. During basketball season I subscribe to Sling. They an excellent sports addition. With a regular service package that is 25 a month you can add the sports package for another 5. If you want the service of a DVR it costs you 4 more. It gives you all the Pac 12 regional games, not just the national or local ones. I think they have 5 regions that broadcast. They also broadcast SEC and ACC games as well. Plus all the ESPN channels.

To be able to get sling you need either Roku or an Amazon Fire tv or fire stick. I have Amazon. I also have a Fire recast which allows me to run broadcast channals through the system and record them. If you wait for the right time you can get them on sale. Try Thanks giving they probably will have deals then. With either service you can get all sorts of free movies apps plus most pay stations as well. I find I don't really miss cable. There is more on than I would ever care to watch. If you miss any channel you can choose and pay for those you want singely. There are also other services beside Sling but I like their extensive Pac 12 services. I will start Sling again for basketball season. The good thing about it is that you can record those games as well.

Reaction Score

What to do?

Thank you.

Tom, my first question would be are you in CT or in the tri-state area? If so SNY is a regional sports network and would be available with TV streaming services like Sling TV, YouTube TV and I'm sure by now others. By the way I also dropped Comcast cable portion couple years ago and chose YouTube TV. For me personally it has all the sports channels and networks that I need.

If you do not live in the tri-state area, with ESPN in your channel lineup, you will also be able to get the ESPN3 app. You should still be able to watch the UConn games on the ESPN3. I personally use the ROKU connected to my TV. All of these services have apps you can install on the ROKU.

I would suggest you sit down in from of computer and google for "live streaming services" or "compare live tv streaming services 2019" (I have attached 3 links below). All of these services web pages will allow you to input your zip code (can't locate where on Sling TV to add zip code) for a list of channels/networks and regional sports you will receive.

I will say, one channel you will not see on these streaming services is PBS, (with a separate antenna you could also receive locals and perhaps PBS over the air) YouTube TV has all the 4 local channels, as for the other channels you listed/watch, you need to evaluate what these services offer.

YouTube TV link below: enter your zip code above the link.

YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News

Sling TV has multiple packages of channels, from $15 Sling Orange, $15 Sling Blue or $25 Orange & Blue. Here's a link to Sling TV.

The link below compares all of these live streaming services.

All of these services will have a trial offer, usually 7 days...give them a try see if you like the interface/guides and ease of use. Depending on your internet speed, as you watch you may see a buffering circle on screen..hopefully not.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I recently got rid of DirecTV and am streaming 100%. I have quite a few of the streaming services using Roku and my Smart TV. My better half uses her XBox and a Fire stick. We have Netflix, Prime Video, YouTubeTV, Hulu, HBO Go plus some other TV related apps and are still paying way less than we were paying DirecTV. (I watch YouTube TV most of the time.) So, I don't get SNY but do get ESPN3. One channel that I don't get with YouTube TV is the NFL Channel, which surprised me when I realized that it wasn't offered. But then again, I only "need" to watch the NFL if the Patriots are on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom