Need guards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Need guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Jr. didn't end up with many of Sr's genes for athleticism. If Ollie's plan was to have a running and pressing team, I can't believe he ended up at UConn.
CasselJr was a Juco all-american.... I gotta believe he has more than what he was able to show us this year.... Remember that first exhibition game, his jumper was wet, I think he put down 20, but it was pretty much all down hill from there.... Totally counting him out, however, would be a mistake.

Reaction Score
CasselJr was a Juco all-american.... I gotta believe he has more than what he was able to show us this year.... Remember that first exhibition game, his jumper was wet, I think he put down 20, but it was pretty much all down hill from there.... Totally counting him out, however, would be a mistake.
He was a JuCo AA in his first--and only--year of JuCo ball, too.

Here's hoping that's the true SCII, and that his struggles were injury-related.

Reaction Score
Jr. didn't end up with many of Sr's genes for athleticism. If Ollie's plan was to have a running and pressing team, I can't believe he ended up at UConn.
He is a better ball handler, passer and shooter than TSam.

Reaction Score
Definately need a big who can score a little. He doesn't need to score a lot just be capable and a good rebounder. I think that's needed more than a guard. When I watched tonight there was never anyone in the middle fighting. Only Arizona state jerseys. That was with brimah and Phil out there. And it just wasn't tonight, there is never anyone fighting under there that's a uconn big. Besides Lubin but he can't jump. We need a mean big who can rebound

Reaction Score
Tsam looks like a 7th grader playing on a varsity team, no doubt about that (apologies to any seventh graders out there who have a jump shot - no offense meant)... but Purvis can play (pales to Boat/Bazz/Kemba, but who doesn't) and Jalen is a top 25 recruit. Brown (top 50 guy) would be a huge get and is needed, but saying someone else above and beyond him too might be pushing the envelope, we are bad but not that desperate... yet.

T Sam does a much better job of avoiding sucking than you do at avoiding being an asshat.

He is never going to be a star. But he has a ring which he made a major contribution to. Your biggest accomplishment is what exactly?

Reaction Score
Sam Jr could end up solving a lot of problems if he can improve his D.
Unless he was slowed by injury from day 1, I think he's too slow for D1 hoops.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
T Sam does a much better job of avoiding sucking than you do at avoiding being an asshat. He is never going to be a star. But he has a ring which he made a major contribution to. Your biggest accomplishment is what exactly?

You're probably reading it.

Reaction Score
Samuel is a nice kid and he certainly helped in the run last year but a place like Iona is much more of a fit than UConn.

I've heard sentiments like this expressed many times and I just don't quite understand it. So you concede that he helped us win a national championship yet you want to run him off to Iona? Anybody could have seen this coming - Samuel was going to struggle to resemble an adequate offensive player without the driving lanes that last years shooters created for him available. Samuel needs to evolve, too, yes, but he's your typical role player in that he is only going to be as good as those around him.

Terrence Samuel is your prototypical UConn player. Hard-nosed, fearless, and sometimes unaware of his own limitations. But he can guard forwards on defense the way other guards on the roster cannot, he's demonstrated an ability to finish at the rim, and perhaps more importantly than anything, he's nails at the free throw line late in games. This is a player who is going to help this program win a lot of games in the next two years.

Reaction Score
Unless he was slowed by injury from day 1, I think he's too slow for D1 hoops.

Given whom he was recruited by, and given that KO tinkered with the idea of starting him early in the season, I am going to hold on to the hope that he was injured from the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Let's see him without a broken leg.

I'm not sure you're entirely wrong, but it seems a little unfair to judge him on what we saw.
OK. I made my comment about his athleticism based on my early season observations of him. I didn't realize he played with a broken leg then. I'm sure fully healed his athleticism will improve immeasurably.

Reaction Score
So you want to potentially turn down a top 50 recruit? The guy is already known as an elite defender and an amazing athlete with a good and improving jumpshot. Much better overall player than Samuel and Calhoun are. You can never have enough of those.
Would I turn him down if he said he wanted to come to UConn? No. But that's more because of our recent ability, or lack there of, to close with recruits. But if you said to me you can either have Bruce Brown or an actual PG and low post presence guaranteed, I'd take option #2.

Reaction Score
Would I turn him down if he said he wanted to come to UConn? No. But that's more because of our recent ability, or lack there of, to close with recruits. But if you said to me you can either have Bruce Brown or an actual PG and low post presence guaranteed, I'd take option #2.
We might need Bruce Brown.

Reaction Score
We might need Bruce Brown.
What we need is a true PG, a big who is polished offensively and can get 6-8 rebounds, and a shooter. Brown doesn't fit any of those molds. He is a wing who can score but his weaknesses are shooting and dribbling. I understand he is a top 100 player and athletic, but top 100 doesn't necessarily mean he will work out or fits what we need.

Reaction Score
lange10 said:
What we need is a true PG, a big who is polished offensively and can get 6-8 rebounds, and a shooter.

That's it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky