Need a 3, Last Possesion, What Lineup? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Need a 3, Last Possesion, What Lineup?

Reaction Score
I like your lineup except I would replace Saylor with Liyah just in case a tough rebound is needed on the first attempt. However, I suppose in this circumstance Paige wouldn't miss so maybe a rebound wouldn't be necessary.
I see a few people want to keep a rebounder in the game. It is a debatable point but my view is if you need a three to tie, you don't want to give your opponent time to come back for a quick two to win the game if you do make it.

To me that means waiting until the last 5 seconds or so to put up a shot, and probably doesn't allow enough time to get the rebound pass out to the three point line, and get another crack at it. It is a difficult position to be in, but if you don't want to give your opponent a chance at another possession, you effectively take away your chance at a second opportunity from an offensive rebound as well, particularly when you have to get it back out to the three point line.

That is one reason I stacked my lineup with tall shooters at the 4/5. If you are trying to wait for the last shot it is very difficult to run a play within a very narrow time-frame to free up your best shooters for an open look, when everyone knows you have to shoot a 3, and your opponent puts their best three point defending lineup out there.

They can have 5 defenders only worried about a 3 pointer circling the 3 point line. They can put their best defenders out there, and potentially go bigger and longer than their normal lineup. Paige and Azzi may not have a player their own size to shoot over. Teams will try to take that away and if they do your 3rd,4th, and 5th option becomes far more relevant.

People are saying get Paige or Azzi an open look. Of course you try for that, but in last second scenarios you are not very likely to get that. So if your first two options don't develop who do you want jacking up a very contested three pointer? Liv? Aaliyah Aubrey? Nika? I don't think so. A much better case can be made for Christyn or Evina because against some defenders they might be able to get off a passable 3 point attempt, since they have shown an ability to create their own shot from midrange, but they are pretty mediocre on open 3's, and we might be asking them to shoot a very contested three, possibly over a taller defender that only has to defend the 3.

Now I don't know how Caroline, Saylor or Dorka could do on contested 3's either, and that is a valid point, but both Caroline and Saylor are comfortable putting up shots from well beyond the line, and of course they are 6-2. If the defense puts some of their longer defenders on Paige and Azzi, Dorka might wind up with a size advantage allowing her to get off a decent look. Probably not a good scenario, but remember whoever is on the floor might be the one putting up that three point attempt, not by design but out of necessity.

Reaction Score
I see a few people want to keep a rebounder in the game. It is a debatable point but my view is if you need a three to tie, you don't want to give your opponent time to come back for a quick two to win the game if you do make it.

To me that means waiting until the last 5 seconds or so to put up a shot, and probably doesn't allow enough time to get the rebound pass out to the three point line, and get another crack at it. It is a difficult position to be in, but if you don't want to give your opponent a chance at another possession, you effectively take away your chance at a second opportunity from an offensive rebound as well, particularly when you have to get it back out to the three point line.

That is one reason I stacked my lineup with tall shooters at the 4/5. If you are trying to wait for the last shot it is very difficult to run a play within a very narrow time-frame to free up your best shooters for an open look, when everyone knows you have to shoot a 3, and your opponent puts their best three point defending lineup out there.

They can have 5 defenders only worried about a 3 pointer circling the 3 point line. They can put their best defenders out there, and potentially go bigger and longer than their normal lineup. Paige and Azzi may not have a player their own size to shoot over. Teams will try to take that away and if they do your 3rd,4th, and 5th option becomes far more relevant.

People are saying get Paige or Azzi an open look. Of course you try for that, but in last second scenarios you are not very likely to get that. So if your first two options don't develop who do you want jacking up a very contested three pointer? Liv? Aaliyah Aubrey? Nika? I don't think so. A much better case can be made for Christyn or Evina because against some defenders they might be able to get off a passable 3 point attempt, since they have shown an ability to create their own shot from midrange, but they are pretty mediocre on open 3's, and we might be asking them to shoot a very contested three, possibly over a taller defender that only has to defend the 3.

Now I don't know how Caroline, Saylor or Dorka could do on contested 3's either, and that is a valid point, but both Caroline and Saylor are comfortable putting up shots from well beyond the line, and of course they are 6-2. If the defense puts some of their longer defenders on Paige and Azzi, Dorka might wind up with a size advantage allowing her to get off a decent look. Probably not a good scenario, but remember whoever is on the floor might be the one putting up that three point attempt, not by design but out of necessity.
Pick your poison, different strokes for different folks and all those other cliches. In football, do you let the clock run down to about 3 seconds and attempt the game-winning field goal on 4th down or do you kick it on third down with 10-12 seconds on the clock in case the snap is mishandled giving yourself another shot on 4th down?

I understand not wanting to give the opponent a chance for another possession, but if you miss the shot you have no chance to win if time expires while the ball is in the air, but I'd rather give us a second chance and then play a tenacious full-court press if the shot goes in. If the opponent can beat the press in just a couple of seconds more power to them. After all, you were already losing.

Now, if the game is tied, my strategy is totally different. In that case I definitely want time to expire while my shot is in the air.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
This thread must be a spoof or trick question. I can't seem to get.

I've seen 4 different Players who have actually played games for UConn selected. As well as 3 or 4 players who have never played a single game for UConn as being the person!

The consensus seems to be that the folks on the BY would be good with 7 to 8 different players taking this shot. . .

If we're that deep. How the hell, did we end up down by 3 points with just second's left on the clock??

:eek::)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I believe Saylor was injured. I thought I read she had a stress fracture in her back.
She also hadn't played any basketball in about 10 months. She had hip surgery in the Spring (after winning Maryland player of the year playing on one leg), and wasn't cleared for any basketball till well into the fall, at which point Maryland wasn't allowing anyone on courts. She coached some during the summer, but had to go out of state to do it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Geno's gone on the record saying he likes to get the "last" shot up in time to get a rebound lest there's a miss. So it would seem something like 2-5 seconds for a tap-in, more like 5-7 if you need to kick it back out.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I just finished watching the replay of the SoCar at UConn game from last season and I was kinda surprised at the players on the court for the ending of the 4th quarter (last 2:28, SoCar was up 54-50, our ball in the front court) and at the start of the OT. I think if this thread was posted before that game, nobody would have guessed who the five were. And nobody had fouled out.

Nika, Evina, Aubrey, Aaliyah and Paige.

So, you never know...

Reaction Score
I just finished watching the replay of the SoCar at UConn game from last season and I was kinda surprised at the players on the court for the ending of the 4th quarter (last 2:28, SoCar was up 54-50, our ball in the front court) and at the start of the OT. I think if this thread was posted before that game, nobody would have guessed who the five were. And nobody had fouled out.

Nika, Evina, Aubrey, Aaliyah and Paige.

So, you never know...
I think there were two or three Paiges on the floor during that overtime.

Reaction Score
Geno's gone on the record saying he likes to get the "last" shot up in time to get a rebound lest there's a miss. So it would seem something like 2-5 seconds for a tap-in, more like 5-7 if you need to kick it back out.
I was unaware he had said that, but it would be interesting if his view was the same if you need a three. If you need two, leaving enough time for a second opportunity seems to make relatively more sense to me, because you only need a few more seconds for that, and if you do get the offensive board you may be able to put it up for a good shot right away. For a three as you acknowledge, it takes more time. You have to pass it out and then look for a very quick and probably very highly contested difficult three. It is an interesting coaching decision to be sure.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Just for kicks....who would you take out to put Stewie in?
I am ashamed for saying this but I would have to go with Lou...even though she is my favorite Huskie, but she clearly is not one of the best ever Huskies :(.

Reaction Score
Whoever is going to get the ball to Paige or Azzi to take the shot.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I am ashamed for saying this but I would have to go with Lou...even though she is my favorite Huskie, but she clearly is not one of the best ever Huskies :(.
Must've been hard to bench your favorite so I gave you a like. Maybe this will make you feel better, Their Uconn career 3pt averages.

PB. .464 (1 yr)
KML .447
KLS. .416
MM. .404
DT. .392
BS. .355

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads