Need a 3, Last Possesion, What Lineup? | The Boneyard

Need a 3, Last Possesion, What Lineup?

Reaction Score
Suppose it is an end of the game situation, we have the ball and need a 3 to tie. What lineup do you put out there?

This would be my choice.

C- Dorka

PF- Saylor

SF- Caroline

SG- Azzi

PG- Paige

Obviously we could do the same thing if you need two points, or need a stop defensively, or any situational lineup for that matter, but thought I would
start with this one.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Suppose it is an end of the game situation, we have the ball and need a 3 to tie. What lineup do you put out there?

This would be my choice.

C- Dorka

PF- Saylor

SF- Caroline

SG- Azzi

PG- Paige

Obviously we could do the same thing if you need two points, or need a stop defensively, or any situational lineup for that matter, but thought I would
start with this one.
Unless Saylor has proven herself capable in general non garbage time situations and has shown strong 3pt shooting at the college level I would probably go with Nika. I trust her 3pt shot probably as much as CW or Evina and her ability to drive and kick out to 3pt shooters is probably 2nd best to Paige

Reaction Score
Evina and CW over Caroline and Saylor
Possibly Liv or AE over Dorka but TBD

If it were a 3 point shooting contest, then your lineup might be best, but this is about designing the best Play, and for that you need experience, great passers and screeners, good decision makers, and confidence.

Evina is that in spades and is a good 3 point shooter as well.

Reaction Score
Evina and CW over Caroline and Saylor
Possibly Liv or AE over Dorka but TBD

If it were a 3 point shooting contest, then your lineup might be best, but this is about designing the best Play, and for that you need experience, great passers and screeners, good decision makers, and confidence.

Evina is that in spades and is a good 3 point shooter as well.
If you are trying to take the last shot with little time remaining it is likely to be a contested 3, so height might make a difference. If you are trying to get a better shot sooner, but realize your opponent will have some time to come back and score, the chances of a successful play are greater IMO, and passers and particularly a screener might help more.

Of the players I picked I think we have one great passer in Paige and two above average ones in Azzi and Caroline, although the freshmen have to show it at this level. As for setting screens I believe Dorka can fill that role, and Aaliyah would be great at that if she replaced someone, but if the shot clock was running out I don't want Aaliyah jacking up a hail mary.

If your opponent knows they only have to guard the three point line, I think it is pretty hard to run a successful play but you can set screens and make them switch.. So my proposed lineup includes two 6-2 shooters (at least we think they are), one 6-5 center who shoots quite a few, and two guards who can to a certain extent create space and their own shot in Paige and Azzi.

Anyway for what it is worth, I suspect Geno would likely go with his best traditional lineup, and not tweak it that much for the situation, but I think I would.

Reaction Score
This is an easy one. Whatever lineup can set picks for Paige and/or get her the ball is my choice. While we will have some of the best open 3 point shooters in the country this coming year, Paige is the best one on one offensive creator as well as a stone cold shooter under pressure. Next question?

Reaction Score
Not sure about the supporting lineup, because that's dependent on the opposition. But one thing is for sure in my mind: if there are two seconds left, get the ball to Paige. As Dan Hurley said, Paige is a stone cold killer.

Reaction Score

This would be my choice.

C- Dorka

PF- Saylor

SF- Caroline

SG- Azzi

PG- Paige

start with this one.
I'd put Evina in place of Saylor.

Reaction Score
Bueckers Fudd Ducharme and the 2 best perimeter screeners. Having three options makes it likely that one of them will get a good look. And all three can pass.

Reaction Score
Azzi is taking the shot.
If there is a choice and anyone but Paige is the primary shooter, there should be an investigation! Three months from now, it is possible that Azzi (or Caroline) could take that position but til we see how Azzi
performs in game situations, Paige would have to be my choice!

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think I'd have Paige then Azzi shoot it as first and second option, but I wouldn't be surprised if Geno will use both of them to suck in the defense and leave either CW or CD for a wide open three. So my lineup will be PB, , CW, CD, and EW/Dorka.

Reaction Score
Azzi yes, but having 3 freshmen in the game at a critical crunch is probably 1 or 2 too many. I would go with more seasoned players, i.e. CW and EW. I would not eliminate NM because she is an excellent play maker, but I would not want her taking the shot unless it was a last resort, or she was completely unguarded.

Reaction Score
I’ll leave it to you all to pick your shooters-but I want Dorka and Aaliyah in there for a second chance kick out after a miss or a foul on the put back.
I know it remains to be seen, but I doubt Coach has obtained all or this size only to let them stand outside while the guards heave it from way out.
We may be treated to more close inside play than we’re accustomed to.
Have to at least show it and force opposing Coaches to game plan for it.
The more looks you show, the harder it is to prepare.
JMHO

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'll repeat what Azzi and Paige said in an interview before the season started last year. With the same question given to them, although not necessarily a 3 pointer, Azzi said she would take a pullup, and Paige said she would pass it to Azzi. Bottom line I think this would be the primary option.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Dorka’s not taking the shot. She may be the best three point shooter out of the bigs but we have better choices. I’d put Edwards out on the floor to rebound and kick it out, or lay it in and help for an and one of time is running out.

Also, experience matters, so it’s tough not to put your two most experienced three-point shooters out on the floor. CW and Evina can make the shot, rebound or pass as needed.

I think I go with:
Paige
Azzi (on reputation alone)
Christyn
Evina
Edwards

If Caroline ends up proving herself as being as good as shooter as she is being pitched, maybe she replaces Azzi.

Reaction Score
UCONN shot under 36% last year from the three point land.
Will that improve this year?
Probably.
But smart money prepares for a miss.

Reaction Score
I would go with Paige, Nika, Azzi, Caroline and Olivia. If you need the three for the win with only time on the clock for one play you have to get somebody a good look. Paige has shown she needs very little space to rise up for a good look. All indications are that Azzi also has a very quick release. Caroline is a sharp shooter, by all reports and has some height. For the set up ideally you need fast ball movement, clean crisp passing and great screening. I think Nika has shown she fits the bill for all three of those and Olivia has shown the ability to set some great screens and deliver some good passes from the high post (ala Dolson). Geno would kill Olivia if she stepped out and took the shot in this scenario and Nika loves the solid screen and/or sweet assist or hockey assist to set up the winning shot. The only way Nika takes that shot is if she finds the ball in her hands with a second left, she's left wide open and all the shooters are tightly covered. She's shown she can hit those. I think better odds are that one of the three shooters gets a clean look or Nika finds her twin Paige at that last second who rises and game over, UCONN by one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ball starts in Evina's hands working left to right along the arc towards Paige.
Dorka setting a high ball screen for Evina on left side of the floor.
If the defense goes under Evina can get a clean look over Dorka and behind the arc. If the defense hedges then Dorka can step behind the arc and also get a clean look. If the defense hedges and recovers Dorka will have Christyn in the left corner.
Right side of the floor will have Paige working from the baseline utilizing two screens working towards the ball. Christyn will set a baseline screen for Paige initially and then drift to the left corner.
Azzi will set a second screen for Paige slightly above the right nail and then drift to the right corner behind the line. Depending on how much time you have left (>5 Seconds) Evina or Dorka can set a third screen for Paige. Make no mistake the play is design for Paige to get that shot, everyone else although very capable are just a decoys.

Reaction Score
ME....my lucky high tube socks and any combination of 4 spectators...lol. JUST...get me the ball!

Reaction Score
I'd want my 5 best players on the floor ar this time(any crunch time):

Paige
Azzi
Dorka
Edwards
CW

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Perhaps the most unusual feature of Bueckers, at least in the eyes of her friend Fudd, is that nerves never get to her. Even with assuming that Fudd will be our best three-point shooter ever, I would not designate the last shot for the freshman Fudd. Maybe, by her sophomore year, but not as a freshman. I would go with a combination of clutch and experience over pure 3-point ability in the line-up, with the play designed for Bueckers.

I would go with the @CocoHusky line-up, with the possible exception of Fudd. If the equation of % + clutch + experience = Fudd, then go with her. However, it could possibly favor Muhl or even Ducharme.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom