Nebrich-From today's N.Y.Post... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nebrich-From today's N.Y.Post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our best offenses were run by Joe Moorhead
It's interesting and obvious that Morehead back in 2011 would have given Nebrich either the starting job or at the very least much more PT if it had been his decision, but sadly the head coach had his head up his ass. Now both are gone and doing great at Fordham.

Reaction Score
Nebrich would be better than serviceable, which might be better than what we have now.

Reaction Score
So everyone believes Nebrich would be a successful FBS QB? Honest question.

No. We will never know that. He had potential, but it was not clear as a true frosh that he was ready to help the team yet.

I know that in retrospect every decision P made now needs to be wrong, but we will never know on this one.

Reaction Score
No. We will never know that. He had potential, but it was not clear as a true frosh that he was ready to help the team yet.

I know that in retrospect every decision P made now needs to be wrong, but we will never know on this one.
It's good to see you and Coach Pasqualoni agree on something.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was not recruited to be the type of QB that Pasqualoni wanted the offense to be built around, nor was he anything like the QB's that we had the most success with under Edsall (Orlovsky and Frazer). Nor is he anything like Tyler Lorenzen, and put him next to Boyle or for that matter Whitmer, who is closer to his own size, in a QB drop from under center, set and throw in a pro-set offense, and it is what it is.

No one I know ever doubted that the kid could play the game. Edsall tried to change the offensive philsosophy and structure to a system that would favor a QB like Nebrich, but clearly he was unable to do so successfully at UCONN. I'm happy that the kid was smart enough to make up his mind and go where he would be able to play and have success. Beyond that he's not doing anything to help UCONN win, so it's pretty abstract for me, and I'm not sure what the fascination is here.

For the record, Fordham has a 4 year jump on the rest of their competition in the Patriot League, on numbers of scholarships offered, and it shows. THey have built a very nice program at their level. Moorhead is a great example of a coach, that can relate to players, has built a staff and program, that has been able to get them to buy in to what he is asking them to do. You simply can't coach the way that Deleone's era did, and have success in today's age. The age of the coach is long gone. You have to be able to relate now, and not just scream.

THey are not qualified to win a league championship at Fordham because of their scholarship advantage for at least one more year, and I think two. I don't know how they're qualifications of the post season playoffs for a 1-AA national champion are affected by the situation, but we will find out, because they will be qualified for the playoff bracket this season.

Fordham also beat Temple this season, and we beat Fordham 35-3 two seasons ago, and lost to Temple last season 17-14. So if you're going to find a measuring stick with common opponents - it would be nice to beat Temple this year, and prove that we haven't fallen so far. We'll see.

Reaction Score
The only real question is whether Nebrich could have led the team to a record better than 5-7?

That's what Johnny Mac did. It's also what Whitmer did. I think he could have, his running ability alone would have improved the offense.
Sooooo, all Nebrich had to do was win one more game and the Huskies would have been bowling both years. And P. would still be here with such a record.

Reaction Score
The only real question is whether Nebrich could have led the team to a record better than 5-7?

That's what Johnny Mac did. It's also what Whitmer did. I think he could have, his running ability alone would have improved the offense.
Sooooo, all Nebrich had to do was win one more game and the Huskies would have been bowling both years. And P. would still be here with such a record.

It's a meaningless question though, because there is nothing to base it on in reality. It's just as likely that with Nebrich at QB we go 2-10 or worse, or 10-2 and better. The real question, is how would we do against Fordham right now as compared to Sept 2011? Fordham in 2011, was a gimme cupcake win for us. It's hard to come to that conclusion now, and Nebrich factors into that, but is hardly the only reason. But Fordham is not on our schedule, and we don't have to deal with that.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was not recruited to be the type of QB that Pasqualoni wanted the offense to be built around, nor was he anything like the QB's that we had the most success with under Edsall (Orlovsky and Frazer). Nor is he anything like Tyler Lorenzen, and put him next to Boyle or for that matter Whitmer, who is closer to his own size, in a QB drop from under center, set and throw in a pro-set offense, and it is what it is.

No one I know ever doubted that the kid could play the game. Edsall tried to change the offensive philsosophy and structure to a system that would favor a QB like Nebrich, but clearly he was unable to do so successfully at UCONN. I'm happy that the kid was smart enough to make up his mind and go where he would be able to play and have success. Beyond that he's not doing anything to help UCONN win, so it's pretty abstract for me, and I'm not sure what the fascination is here.

For the record, Fordham has a 4 year jump on the rest of their competition in the Patriot League, on numbers of scholarships offered, and it shows. THey have built a very nice program at their level. Moorhead is a great example of a coach, that can relate to players, has built a staff and program, that has been able to get them to buy in to what he is asking them to do. You simply can't coach the way that Deleone's era did, and have success in today's age. The age of the coach is long gone. You have to be able to relate now, and not just scream.

THey are not qualified to win a league championship at Fordham because of their scholarship advantage for at least one more year, and I think two. I don't know how they're qualifications of the post season playoffs for a 1-AA national champion are affected by the situation, but we will find out, because they will be qualified for the playoff bracket this season.

Fordham also beat Temple this season, and we beat Fordham 35-3 two seasons ago, and lost to Temple last season 17-14. So if you're going to find a measuring stick with common opponents - it would be nice to beat Temple this year, and prove that we haven't fallen so far. We'll see.
Are you kidding? Morehead left in December and Nebrich transfered to Fordham later on in the spring. PP, after 2 TO's in a row by McEntee, couldn't turn around and yell to Nebrich to show him what he's got? Screw the fact that he's not 6'2", put him in there and try something different. Pasqualoni never could do that, he over coached to a stubborn point that ended up hurting the team. He was not flexible with the talent he had, and was not very good at evaluating it. It's clear to me that Joe Morehead would have issues with your post, not to mention some of the decisions made by his boss in 2011.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Morehead left in December and Nebrich transfered to Fordham later on in the spring.
Just a point of reference - Nebrich transferred to Fordham middle of August after preseason camp started (after Whitmer named #1) - not in the spring.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Morehead left in December and Nebrich transfered to Fordham later on in the spring. PP, after 2 TO's in a row by McEntee, could turn around and yell to Nebrich to show him what he's got? Screw the fact that he's not 6'2", put him in there and try something different. Pasqualoni never could do that, he over coached to a stubborn point that ended up hurting the team. He was not flexible with the talent he had, and was not very good at evaluating it.

Hey - Nebrich and Pasqualoni are both gone from UCONN. Be happy for the kid for his successes. I am. I don't really care that much beyond that because he's doing nothing to help UCONN win. If you've got some kind of personal interest, so be it, i'm not getting into that kind of thing.

Reaction Score
It's good to see you and Coach Pasqualoni agree on something.

Oh duck*ing please. Saying that you will never know if someone was wrong is not, for people with triple digit IQs, the same as saying he was right.

Reaction Score
Hey - Nebrich and Pasqualoni are both gone from UCONN. Be happy for the kid for his successes. I am. I don't really care that much beyond that because he's doing nothing to help UCONN win. If you've got some kind of personal interest, so be it, i'm not getting into that kind of thing.
I do have a personal interest, seeing UCONN win and have always felt Paul Pasqualoni was a terrible hire, highlighted all the more by conf realignment during his tenure. He was a bad coach at the worst time.

Reaction Score
At what point are these Nebrich posts considered OT?

Expect many more Fordham threads, it's not just Nebrich it's also about Joe Moorhead and our search for a coach. Moorhead's resume is a string of successes and he should be on Warde's top 10 list. I like a couple MAC coaches but there will be P5 schools going after those guys too, Moorhead could end up being one of our better options.

Reaction Score
I loved what Pasqualoni was saying during the off season when he was hired.I was willing to give him a chance and thought he could do well.

It took him two games, the Vandy game was the clincher, to lose me.

Reaction Score

I understand the motivation. Kicking someone (Pasqualoni) while they're down makes them feel better. "Look, P was such a huge idiot, Nebrich was great and could've been the QB of the future."

I believe we should've given Nebrich a chance, but that hardly proves he would've changed things substantially for us. As BL said, we'll never know.

But these posts are just about twisting the knife. I don't know what the point is. I know I use the ex-gf analogy a lot, but that's what it feels like to me: Every week someone posting an update about how my ex-girlfriend is looking hotter than ever and doing great without me.

Hey, awesome, but you're still a huge jerk.

Reaction Score

It is sort of why I asked my question in this thread. I actually like to keep up with former UCONN players who have left the program for whatever reason. But it seems these Nebrich posts pop up because some posters believe he is a legitimate FBS qb who was never given a fair shot. I think the answer is probably not, but it is great to see him, and Coach Moorehead, have success at a lower level.

Reaction Score
I loved what Pasqualoni was saying during the off season when he was hired.I was willing to give him a chance and thought he could do well.

It took him two games, the Vandy game was the clincher, to lose me.

You were two games too slow.

Reaction Score
Hindsite is 20/20 and I do not recall too many people moaning and groaning when he left to go to Fordham. In fact, most reasonable people wished him well and thought we had a better alternative in Whitmer who beat him out for the position in spring ball and fall camp. We also had a nice stable of young QB's coming in and many thought Nebrich would have never gotten a chance to play because of that. And if I do recall it is not like we went to a power I offense when Edsall left. We still ran a variation of the spread offense which Nebrich was a fit for and they still chose Whitmer over him after 6 months of evaluation. Now some people are crawling out of the woodwork saying PP made a huge mistake and it just goes to show how bad of a coach he was. 2+ years later, sure it would be great to have given Nebrich a better shot, but HE chose to transfer and it is not like he went 1A or a top tier 1AA. He went with a former coach to Fordham who was awful and just getting the full allotment of scholarships for the first time. If he stayed he surely would have gotten a shiot and who knows.

Glad the kid is having success at Fordham, but I hope we are not trying to compare how his success versus Lehigh, Villanova, St. Francis, URI, Columbia and Temple (winless) would translate to more wins. As Dennis Green would say, "if you want to crown em, crown em", but it is easier to do when you have

Reaction Score
Huh? I thought this was the wrong hire from before we made it. No clue what ur talking about.

I think a lot of us thought it was the wrong hire. It's not like we were going to undo it, so the best we could do was wait, see, and hope. Most of our fears were confirmed pretty early on.

Reaction Score
I'll go ahead and make the analogy that positing that Nebrich as QB, would have been successful in quarterbacking either the 2011 or 2012 Huskies to more wins had he actually played, is the equivalent of me positing that Pasqualoni as head coach would have led the 2011 or 2012 Huskies to more wins had he not been allowed to bring George Deleone on staff (and I did write about this when he was hired - and had Hathaway known anything about football, he would have talked to Pasqualoni about Deleone prior to hiring him, and made his hire conditional on NOT hiring Deleone. I wrote this very soon after he was hired right here. As it turned out, history does repeat itself if you don't learn from it, and his loyalty to Deleone, and failure to cut him loose for poor peformance, once again, was a major factor in his undoing as a division 1A head coach with a Big East football program - not the first time it happened)......

but we will never know one way or the other, and there is no way to even try to evaluate it. Deleone was brought on staff, ran our offense into the ground harder than imaginable, and we had no other choice but to endure the Pasqualoni and Deleone show version 2.0, and hope for the best, until it was over, and Nebrich did leave before accumulating any significant playing time. So that's that.

All three are gone, Nebrich, Deleone and Pasqualoni, and I promise that this is the last thing I'll write about any of them. Pinky promise, cross my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom