Nebraska @ Wisconsin | The Boneyard

Nebraska @ Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody see the athmosphere at this game? Wisconsin up 48-17 with 4 minutes left in the game. Stadium is still full, and singing along to everything the band plays...I hope we can get that atmosphere within 20 years in East Hartford...guess i can dream.

Reaction Score
Anybody see the athmosphere at this game? Wisconsin up 48-17 with 4 minutes left in the game. Stadium is still full, and singing along to everything the band plays...I hope we can get that atmosphere within 20 years in East Hartford...guess i can dream.
It helps to have a great QB, and Wisconsin finally has one. Making Nebraska look like Idaho.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with a QB. They had Scott Tolzien the last couple years and their fans were just as engaged.

Madison is easily as good a college football environment I have ever seen (Notre Dame, Tennessee, Penn State, Florida, USC included) and their fans are rabid. Games are attended by generations of families who attended Wisconsin and they have stayed loyal through some pretty rough years. A large part of the charm of Camp Randall is its' proximity to the rest of campus, with bars, tailgating, dorms and restaurants all within a walkable distance. Not sure how we'd ever get close to that in East Hartford.

As an aside, seeing the student section jump up and down at the end of the 3rd quarter when House of Pain's "Jump Around" plays is a sight to be seen.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with a QB. They had Scott Tolzien the last couple years and their fans were just as engaged.

Madison is easily as good a college football environment I have ever seen (Notre Dame, Tennessee, Penn State, Florida, USC included) and their fans are rabid. Games are attended by generations of families who attended Wisconsin and they have stayed loyal through some pretty rough years. A large part of the charm of Camp Randall is its' proximity to the rest of campus, with bars, tailgating, dorms and restaurants all within a walkable distance. Not sure how we'd ever get close to that in East Hartford.

As an aside, seeing the student section jump up and down at the end of the 3rd quarter when House of Pain's "Jump Around" plays is a sight to be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVS87pYQNvw

Reaction Score

I agree with Ron, while it's possible that we could get there, it's not probable that we will anytime soon. We're not on campus, and we've not got nearly the generational tradition of game attendance and team support that Sconsin enjoys. Plus they go something like 80K strong and it's the Big 10. It would be great, but likely not happening in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
I passed up tickets to go as I was out there for a Packer game 3 weeks ago. Was kicking myself all day. THAT is college football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's been like that in The Rent. Having a team beat up on a national power at home will do wonders for crowd support in any league, not just the Big 10.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know what will really get the crowd fired up?

Stealing Big Red's chant...messing up the timing of it for 4 straight years...and just when you thought the 392 people that actually did it weren't pumped up enough...do it again!!!

I swear, I would take the PC Richards whistle on repeat over that chant. It's so amateur and high schoolish.

As a side note: Whatever happened to that guy who used to come out before the intro's at midfield and do chants? That guy was pretty good, at least he had some fire.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You know what will really get the crowd fired up?

Stealing Big Red's chant...messing up the timing of it for 4 straight years...and just when you thought the 392 people that actually did it weren't pumped up enough...do it again!!!

I swear, I would take the PC Richards whistle on repeat over that chant. It's so amateur and high schoolish.

As a side note: Whatever happened to that guy who used to come out before the intro's at midfield and do chants? That guy was pretty good, at least he had some fire.

Holy smokes, where do I start with everything that's wrong here...

1. You bash the U-C-O-N-N chant
2. You would rather have some guy stand on the field screaming
3. You miss having a guy who was arrested for sexually assaulting male inmates

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

1. I bashed the cheerleaders U-C-O-N-N chant. Its sucks. Maybe I'm on to something considering 90% of the stadium doesn't do it either. Compared to 99% of people doing it when Big Red does it. Big Red and the U-C-O-N-N chant are iconic and probably the only real organic tradition UCONN has in sports. This is just straight up amateur hours.

2. He didn't just scream, he tried starting chants like "Bluuuue...Whiiiite" the "UConn...Huuuuskies" chant and some other ones in there too. Tell you what but at least he got the crowd to participate in them. The Bluuuee...Whiiite I guarantee would have caught on in time much like "RRRR..UUUU" down at Rutgers.

3. Yeah, that's exactly why I miss him...real cute. As I said, I had no idea where he went. You know what the good thing about that was? Brace yourself but anyone could go out there with a microphone and do these chants in the pre-grame.

Everyone wants to build up UCONN traditions and grow our fan base. Why not keep something that actually works. The cheerleader led U-C-O-N-N chant is literally the thing I hate the most about UCONN sports because how they have butchered it so badly.

zls44

Reaction Score
1. I bashed the cheerleaders U-C-O-N-N chant. Its sucks. Maybe I'm on to something considering 90% of the stadium doesn't do it either. Compared to 99% of people doing it when Big Red does it. Big Red and the U-C-O-N-N chant are iconic and probably the only real organic tradition UCONN has in sports. This is just straight up amateur hours.

2. He didn't just scream, he tried starting chants like "Bluuuue...Whiiiite" the "UConn...Huuuuskies" chant and some other ones in there too. Tell you what but at least he got the crowd to participate in them. The Bluuuee...Whiiite I guarantee would have caught on in time much like "RRRR..UUUU" down at Rutgers.

3. Yeah, that's exactly why I miss him...real cute. As I said, I had no idea where he went. You know what the good thing about that was? Brace yourself but anyone could go out there with a microphone and do these chants in the pre-grame.

Everyone wants to build up UCONN traditions and grow our fan base. Why not keep something that actually works. The cheerleader led U-C-O-N-N chant is literally the thing I hate the most about UCONN sports because how they have butchered it so badly.

McMahon North or South?

Reaction Score

Hey ZLS the guy arrested for molesting male inmates is not the guy who tried to get the crowd stirred prior to the games. Please get your facts straight.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember a few years back someone (on the old Scout board) posted something ridiculous, claiming that Wisconsin was among the name schools that we actually had surpassed as a football program. A boneyard regular who happened to have some Wisconsin ties (I don't exactly remember who or what the ties were) and had been to a number of games at Camp-Randall stadium (correctly) tore that post to pieces.

One thing that gets me is that it appears most of our fans don't have a clue as to how far we need to go to get to the level they believe we've already achieved.

Reaction Score
Don't worry, as long as Dog Pound DJ is pumping 6 people up, we're well on our way to enjoying a Wisconsin-like atmosphere.

Is it wrong to flip the bird at the jumbotron everytime he pops up on it?

zls44

Reaction Score
Hey ZLS the guy arrested for molesting male inmates is not the guy who tried to get the crowd stirred prior to the games. Please get your facts straight.

My understanding is it was the former cheerleading coach, which was the same guy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's been like that in The Rent. Having a team beat up on a national power at home will do wonders for crowd support in any league, not just the Big 10.
When?

When could we possibly have packed an 80k seat stadium?

When would the entire crowd have remained until after the final gun if we were up by more than four TDs?

Reaction Score

I was at Camp Randall Stadium 3 weeks ago, and I posted my observations in the "we need to build the fanbase thread".

Best in game atmosphere I have ever seen. That is how a student section needs to act.

Instead of a dj trying to rile the crowd up, let the student section rile the crowd up!

Reaction Score
When?

When could we possibly have packed an 80k seat stadium?

When would the entire crowd have remained until after the final gun if we were up by more than four TDs?

At the Oregon State game, not only did the crowd (including the student section) stay until the final whistle. They stayed an hour after the final whistle as the band played.

I am trying to see a different college stadium each year, but I would love to go back there.

Reaction Score

No argument that Wisconsin has a great fan atmosphere year after year, but this year is special and it has everything to do with Russell Wilson, the coaches know it, the fans know it, and the media knows it. With all due respect to Scott Tolzien, who was a very good in the pocket QB, Wilson gives the Badgers offense a dimension that it's never had. I'll be shocked if they don't go undefeated up to the NC game, but as Herbstreit pointed out last night, if either Alabama or LSU go undefeated as well as Oklahoma it's possible Wisconsin could be this years Auburn and not make into the NC game but still go undefeated. What's even more amazing is what they lost this year to the NFL.

Reaction Score
My daughter was at the Neb. Wisc. game She was amazed from the gameday display right up to the post game celebration. She text me that these "people are nuts"

Reaction Score
I remember a few years back someone (on the old Scout board) posted something ridiculous, claiming that Wisconsin was among the name schools that we actually had surpassed as a football program. A boneyard regular who happened to have some Wisconsin ties (I don't exactly remember who or what the ties were) and had been to a number of games at Camp-Randall stadium (correctly) tore that post to pieces.

One thing that gets me is that it appears most of our fans don't have a clue as to how far we need to go to get to the level they believe we've already achieved.
Well, a lot of them are students. A lot are very young. Anyway, the people on this board are the hard core huskies fans, and yet, people take pot shots at each other for not being hard core enough. Same with the people going to the games. Some people tend to forget that those are "the people going to the games." And they get criticized for not being what? sufficiently dedicated for not standing, or not yelling, or not chanting or not whatever they're not doing. Think about this: they are actually getting off their behinds and going to the games. There are one he77 of lot more people not even doing that. This is a result of program maturity, not the people at the games. Or on this board. [Edit: apology to FCF, this is not in any way responsive to your post and not aimed at you.]

Reaction Score
Madison is an awesome place. Sorry to say, but when you play in a stadium that is not on campus, or at least the same city as the school, you will never have that type of game day experience. East Hartford will never be it.

Reaction Score
Madison is an awesome place. Sorry to say, but when you play in a stadium that is not on campus, or at least the same city as the school, you will never have that type of game day experience. East Hartford will never be it.
What would be nice is if they built a student center at the Rent. Doesn't have to be overly fancy, but just like some type of cafeteria/restaurant, rest rooms, some TVs, game room, only for the students at the games. It might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom