Nebraska game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nebraska game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
CH 266 on Comcast
Depends on where you are it seems. In the Avon area BTN is on 715 (standard definition) and 1730 HD. For some reason Comcast is not consistent as to where they deploy channels across their "domain".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Massey is showing UConn should win by 45 points. Prior to the season, I thought Nebraska would be a good team. Surprised to see that they're 7-4. However should be a great crowd and you do have to play the game. Maybe Geno won't have to play his starters 35+ minutes in this game.
Minor correction. Nebraska is 4-7, not 7-4.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Prior to the season, I thought Nebraska would be a good team.

Connie Yori resigned under the cloud of investigation for player abuse. Her entire coaching team went with her, replaced by the South Dakota coach and her staff. I'm sure that accounts for some of the stumbling out of the gate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand that all fans want to watch every game Uconn plays for free on whatever system they currently have for TV at whatever level they currently subscribe for, but ... I just find this to be an unrealistic expectation for any sport. let alone for women's basketball. For Uconn, we come as close as any team does to total access, but with all the conference deals and all the competition for 'bandwidth' amongst the various sports networks and their alignment with conferences it is unrealistic to expect perfect execution.

And as for Uconn 'demanding' access before scheduling P5 teams - that would sure look great when any of those conferences came around to considering expansion. We have already been blackballed on one expansion situation by a single school (supposedly.) We have other threads where posters worry about a collusion amongst P5 schools of starve Uconn WCBB of competition by refusing to schedule us (not something likely to happen), and now some posters want to start refusing to schedule P5 teams because they have TV contracts that Uconn is desperate to get a piece of. Not very consistent, logical, or likely to be a popular move.

Enjoy the great (unprecedented) access we do have and suck it up the few times each year when we have to scramble or horror of horrors, only listen to radio and follow the play by play. We really do not have anything to complain about compared to other WCBB programs, and a lot of MCBB programs and CFB programs.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope that this will be the first of a number of games in which Molly and Kyla get significant minutes. Many of us would like to see how they do under game conditions, even if it isn't against the best opposition. I assume that Geno would like to see that also.

We got a small peek at the end of last night's game at why he is probably hesitant to put Molly in before garbage time. When she got in for the last minute, she almost immediately threw a bad pass that got picked off, and then followed that up by fouling the opposing player in the act of making a layup. If that is what he is seeing in practice, I can understand why she stays on the bench.

Still, it is the sort of thing that is correctible with enough in-game reps.

Reaction Score
I'll be there.

Bummed out that Saniya won't be able to play tho. Probably my one and only chance to see her in person. Hope she comes and at least sits on the bench.

I'll be there too! First UConn women's game since 1999 when we moved to Omaha.

Reaction Score
I understand that all fans want to watch every game Uconn plays for free on whatever system they currently have for TV at whatever level they currently subscribe for, but ... I just find this to be an unrealistic expectation for any sport. let alone for women's basketball. For Uconn, we come as close as any team does to total access, but with all the conference deals and all the competition for 'bandwidth' amongst the various sports networks and their alignment with conferences it is unrealistic to expect perfect execution.

And as for Uconn 'demanding' access before scheduling P5 teams - that would sure look great when any of those conferences came around to considering expansion. We have already been blackballed on one expansion situation by a single school (supposedly.) We have other threads where posters worry about a collusion amongst P5 schools of starve Uconn WCBB of competition by refusing to schedule us (not something likely to happen), and now some posters want to start refusing to schedule P5 teams because they have TV contracts that Uconn is desperate to get a piece of. Not very consistent, logical, or likely to be a popular move.

Enjoy the great (unprecedented) access we do have and suck it up the few times each year when we have to scramble or horror of horrors, only listen to radio and follow the play by play. We really do not have anything to complain about compared to other WCBB programs, and a lot of MCBB programs and CFB programs.
Sorry, but at 144$/ month for Charter Cable I don't consider anything I watch "free". It's more like grand theft. In the midwest the same package goes for about 70 bux a month.

Reaction Score
This is not a conference game, is it out of conference. UConn does the out of conference scheduling, not the conference, so yes, they are in a position to make this demand. If the Big 10 doesn't want to play ball, then they give up a chance to play UConn; plain and simple.

Brinkmanship is a wonderful thing when you are holding the cards.

[mod edit] The team who is hosting owns the rights. As being part of the B10 conference all Nebraska games rights have been bundled and sold in the conference rights deal. You get more money bundling rights as a conf and distribute money evenly instead of the more prominent schools in the conf selling their rights for a lot more than others. They prosper as a collective. For the BTN their basketball rights are split various ways. CBS has rights to some bball games(saturday/sunday they get to pick), ESPN has a rights to some(50 games) and BTN has rights to the rest.

UConn has zero ability to demand b/c the rights have been sold as a bundle. Nebraska has no control over the rights. The BTN wants to keep the rights to good content as it draws viewers. [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
the team who is hosting owns the rights. As being part of the B10 conference all Nebraska games rights have been bundled and sold in the conference rights deal. You get more money bundling rights as a conf and distribute money evenly instead of the more prominent schools in the conf selling their rights for a lot more than others. They prosper as a collective. For the BTN their basketball rights are split various ways. CBS has rights to some bball games(saturday/sunday they get to pick), ESPN has a rights to some(50 games) and BTN has rights to the rest.

UConn has zero ability to demand the nonsense you think b/c the rights have been sold as a bundle. Nebraska has no control over the rights. The BTN wants to keep the rights to good content as it draws viewers. You clearly have no understanding of a conference network.

Totally disagree. UCONN has the right NOT to schedule teams that aren't able to make an agreement to share the rights. I think we would be quite comfortable without Nebraska on the schedule, and there would be plenty of teams willing to step up and accept the opportunity. In fact, there might be brawling in the line outside Geno's door.

Reaction Score
It sounds to me like the BTN's distribution strategy is working perfectly. If you want to watch something only they are carrying, then get a cable provider (or DirectTV or Dish) with BTN, or go to BWWs.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Connie Yori resigned under the cloud of investigation for player abuse. Her entire coaching team went with her, replaced by the South Dakota coach and her staff. I'm sure that accounts for some of the stumbling out of the gate.
I was aware they had some shuffling but I didn't realize it was that much. I think once they get it together they will be pretty good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was aware they had some shuffling but I didn't realize it was that much. I think once they get it together they will be pretty good.

The roster looks like they have a good mix of players. I'd like to know whether they are being asked to adapt to another system altogether.

Reaction Score
Sorry if someone already posted this. I have Comcast in Eastern CT and for $10 you can add a preferred sports package that include Big Ten Network (channel 266). When the game is over simply cancel the package and for a mere $10 you got to watch this awe inspiring, over-achieving Husky team-what a bargain!!!! Go Huskies!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Totally disagree. UCONN has the right NOT to schedule teams that aren't able to make an agreement to share the rights. I think we would be quite comfortable without Nebraska on the schedule, and there would be plenty of teams willing to step up and accept the opportunity. In fact, there might be brawling in the line outside Geno's door.
Would we be quite comfortable without any SEC, Big12, PAc12, Big10, or ACC teams on our schedule? Because that is in effect what you are suggesting - none of those rights are 'up for negotiation' as it relates to WCBB when they are played on those teams home courts, just as the rights to their games on Uconn's home court are not up for negotiation. You are fooling yourself if you think ANY school including Alabama Football or KY MCBB has any 'negotiating' power over who owns and carries games on another P5 teams floor/field. Those rights were all already ceded to the conference and the conference sold their rights for 40 pieces of silver to the highest bidder.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I hope that this will be the first of a number of games in which Molly and Kyla get significant minutes. Many of us would like to see how they do under game conditions, even if it isn't against the best opposition. I assume that Geno would like to see that also.

We got a small peek at the end of last night's game at why he is probably hesitant to put Molly in before garbage time. When she got in for the last minute, she almost immediately threw a bad pass that got picked off, and then followed that up by fouling the opposing player in the act of making a layup. If that is what he is seeing in practice, I can understand why she stays on the bench.

Still, it is the sort of thing that is correctible with enough in-game reps.

True. Yet, Molly played in an earlier game and did a decent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom