Nebraska coach wants Husker fans to turn out for UConn | The Boneyard

Nebraska coach wants Husker fans to turn out for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a Nebraska Husker from Lincoln living in CT and just wanted to share what the Nebraska coach Connie Yori is sharing on huskers.com. I would have preferred to see the Huskers vs. Huskies, and realize it would probably be ugly for my Huskers, but just wanted to show UConn nation that the Husker head coach is encouraging locals to come out and see the #1 team in the nation. It truly is one of the best arenas in the country and Lincoln is a fun city. Hope they enjoy.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209446777

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
JImmyB said:
I'm a Nebraska Husker from Lincoln living in CT and just wanted to share what the Nebraska coach Connie Yori is sharing on huskers.com. I would have preferred to see the Huskers vs. Huskies, and realize it would probably be ugly for my Huskers, but just wanted to show UConn nation that the Husker head coach is encouraging locals to come out and see the #1 team in the nation. It truly is one of the best arenas in the country and Lincoln is a fun city. Hope they enjoy.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209446777

No wonder I could not get tickets in the lower bowl. The Huskers bought them all up!!!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thanks...nice to read of Coach Yori's appreciation.

Reaction Score
Obviously someone who appreciates that game as it was meant to be played.....someone whose program will continue to achieve.

Appears that she understands NCAA dynamics as well.

Have always liked the Cornhuskers on the gridiron, and now I'm a fan of their women's basketball as well (except when they meet up with "Our Girls.")

Reaction Score
Have always liked the Cornhuskers on the gridiron, and now I'm a fan of their women's basketball as well (except when they meet up with "Our Girls.")

Don't forget the "other" Nebraska tall girls: their outstanding Volleyball Team which has 3 NCs and many AAs as well as NPOYs. The Huskers WCVB team also emphasizes excellence on and off the court quite similarly to UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When I was a kid, for some reason, the word "Nebraska" appealed to me (and the recent Bruce Dern flick wasn't too shabby). Now I have a better reason to feel kindly toward the Husker state. Classy and perceptive coach and a nickname that wisely can be confused with "Husky". BTW, several years ago, when Svet was at UConn, Nebraska was among the teams at Gampel in a pre-season tournament. Their huge inflated mascot was a big hit which UConn tried to imitate the next year with a jumbo Husky. Never caught on in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Great read!

I am looking forward to returning to (kind of) my old stomping grounds. I went to high school in Omaha - well, Ralston, really. Went to a Harry Chapin concert in Lincoln, attended high school football games and ran in track meets in Lincoln. Still have family (father and sister) in Omaha. It will be a quick trip but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see my family and my beloved Huskies in one quick four day trip. I was so hoping that Nebraska would make it and was looking forward to a full house of scarlet and cream cheering against my team. Sadly it did not come to pass. Hopefully the Husker fans will still turn out - even if they choose to root against UConn. Hopefully there will also be a healthy contingent of UConn fans. Otherwise, I will be very lonely.

And I am looking forward to seeing the Pinnacle Bank Arena. Even if I will be stuck in the corners. It looks like a great facility.

Connie Yori seems like a very classy coach. You have to love a coach that talks up UConn, right?

Reaction Score
I saw that the Huskies landed in Lincoln and hope they have a nice experience there. It's going to be in the frigid 40s tomorrow, but in the
When I was a kid, for some reason, the word "Nebraska" appealed to me (and the recent Bruce Dern flick wasn't too shabby). Now I have a better reason to feel kindly toward the Husker state. Classy and perceptive coach and a nickname that wisely can be confused with "Husky". BTW, several years ago, Svet was at UConn, Nebraska was among the teams at Gampel in a pre-season tournament. Their huge inflated mascot was a big hit which UConn tried to imitatehe next year with a jumbo Husky. Never caught on in Storrs.
Oh,\\\\\\

Reaction Score
How do you spell "class"? Y-O-R-I
She sure does exemplify "class". The NCAA should also appreciate the cheerleading she is doing on behalf of women's college basketball. I bet we are going to see a great turnout of Husker fans.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Similar to what another great women's basketball coach did when her team was hosting the Final Four and lost: Jody Conradt. Texas, the prohibitive favorite, lost... and yet Jody fostered in the first Final Four sellout.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's right, about both supporting the sport for their future benefit and getting out to see something truly special. It's as if Baryshnikov or Pavarotti is coming to Lincoln.

When Yori won the COY award a few years back, she noted that Geno was the best coach in the room. She seems very gracious.

Reaction Score
Classy and leadership act. Corn Huskers's future will be bright for years to come.

Reaction Score
How can anyone root against Nebraska in the future with a classy coach like Connie? Best of luck next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting and as Nan's links today show, she also got a column in the local paper along the same lines. While I think Yori is a really good coach and a class act, I think 'ThisJustIn' gives a good perspective. Most women's coaches really are conscious of being ambassadors for the game as well as for their teams, so this isn't wildly out of the ordinary.
The honesty and the talking up of Uconn specifically are probably more rare. She could also have thrown in 'and should one of the other teams here this weekend beat Uconn, it will be an even more historic moment as it will stand up there with last years Baylor loss as the greatest upset in WCBB NCAA history.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom