ND vs. Georgetown Compared To UConn vs. Georgetown | The Boneyard

ND vs. Georgetown Compared To UConn vs. Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Georgetown-at-ND game is on CBS Sports now -- the prelude to the UConn-Louisville game.

ND is facing the same paint-packing zone defense from Georgetown that UConn faced last week. That is where the comparison ends. With about 7 minutes left in the first half, ND leads 35-11. ND has already taken 19 free throws and has made 17 (as I recall, UConn took 8 free throws in the entire game last week). At the same time, ND has taken a grand total of 4 3-point shots and has made two, all by Jewel Loyd. ND has been constantly penetrating against the zone and getting fouled -- G-town has 13 fouls so far.

Evidently ND did not conclude, as UConn did, that long jump shots were the only shots available against this defense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't remember which team won in the UConn - Georgtown game? What was the score again?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
So ND plays a different style than UConn? That's your theory? Brilliant :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
To your original point, I do wish UConn would get to the line more. ND is great at that.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think it's a fair enough point - our teams have had a lot more players who were/are "zone busters" (good outside shooters) as opposed to zone breakers who are aggressive and really strong with the ball. ND has had multiple players who make a living at it, and its obviously their core philosophy, whatever the defense.

Bria at her best is pretty good in this respect. Tiff could certainly take you off the dribble and penetrate; but Renee is the best we've had in the last number of years at getting into the zone, IMHO, bc she had such a good balance between pull-up, drive, and dish. She could convert in all 3 ways. Been awhile since we had that at a really high level.

MoJeff may be our zone breaker of the future.....

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This game will run past 9pm it appears.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
UConn didn't score against Georgetown in the last 3.19 -- and managed to score 75 points.

Notre Dame scored 8pts in the last 3.19, and managed to score 79 points.

Georgetown scored 64 points against Notre Dame.

Georgetown scored 48 points against UConn.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The Georgetown-at-ND game is on CBS Sports now -- the prelude to the UConn-Louisville game.

ND is facing the same paint-packing zone defense from Georgetown that UConn faced last week. That is where the comparison ends. With about 7 minutes left in the first half, ND leads 35-11. ND has already taken 19 free throws and has made 17 (as I recall, UConn took 8 free throws in the entire game last week). At the same time, ND has taken a grand total of 4 3-point shots and has made two, all by Jewel Loyd. ND has been constantly penetrating against the zone and getting fouled -- G-town has 13 fouls so far.

Evidently ND did not conclude, as UConn did, that long jump shots were the only shots available against this defense.

28 TO's for ND vs. 19 for UConn vs. Georgetown. Evidently ND did not conclude, as UConn did, that trying to penetrate the Georgetown zone would lead to excessive turnovers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With those 28 TOs, we may want to give Banks and MoJeff more time against ND.

The Irish shot 35-38 on FTs. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Just one question... where did they play? I know where, but you obviously think there is no bias in calls vs. home or road. Especially for ND, who plays every bit as physical as GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom