ND Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ND Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do think Dorka would've been huge in this game. Her fight and energy would've been great against their front line. And when Miles got into the lane, her length would've been huge.
Also, given how Azzi's played all year, I do think she probably would've been able to get into a rhythm offensively at some point in the game, but the face guarding thing, which I'm sure she probably saw a lot in high schools, is something that she'll have to be prepared for. Citron is a studd and she pretty much didn't let Azzi get any open looks Tbh it gave me flashbacks of Paige against Arizona in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Well, this game did highlight some of the things I’ve been weary about this year. But it’s hard to blame the loss on one of those, when the team wasn’t fully healthy.

My biggest concern has been Aubrey Griffin. I love watching her play, but her offensive game is so raw. I was wishing she showed more patience today, but I’m sure she’s told to take the open shot. So I can’t really fault her, but it’s something I’m keeping my eye on as a viewer. Teams will try to exploit us at that position when scheming defensively.

I was pleased to see Muhl hit some shots, but she’s not a big offensive threat either. That’s been hidden given Lou and Azzi having supreme shot making ability. But taking one of them out of the offense really threw us for a loop. I don’t feel like this loss was her fault either, just what I saw unfold when Azzi left.

I don’t want this to be interpreted as a bashing post. I’ve noticed all year the imbalance offensively, but those two players excel defensively. It’s just an observation.

My main hope is for us to get healthy soon. I think Dorka aids Caroline’s game. I recall them having great Chemistry last year, with Dorka passing from the high post. And Dorka has the size we missed today.

Of course, want to see Azzi healthy ASAP, as she’s our best player.

Overall a disappointing loss, but kind of makes sense it happened, given the circumstances. Kudos to Geno for setting up a tough schedule, it’s already paying dividends. No doubt we’ll regroup and get better from it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good news regarding Azzi.

Very glad to hear this. I have the utmost respect for Azzi and hope she can come back health and ready to roll. Same for Dorka.

I'll add one comment: Though Maddy Westbeld's play helped the Irish immensely. She shot well, led the Irish in rebounding and also had 3 blocks. Essential element of the Irish.

Was very impressed with Lou Lopez-Senechal. Kept her focus and was a threat the entire game. Go get 'em at Princeton.

Reaction Score
Very poorly scheduled game!
UCONN had to play Friday night, and in about 36 hours travel half way across the country, and play a good Notre Dame team on their home court who played Thursday at home, and just had to sit home and wait for UCONN to show up!
This is the reality, not excuses, UCONN has to do a better job of scheduling, especially the last few years where they are short handed, and there are so many injuries!
Glad Geno took no chances with Azzi, she won't be needed against Princeton, so it'll give her time to rest the knee!

Reaction Score
Kind of a beatdown. I think the Azzi injury threw everyone for a loop, but even early on with Azzi in the game, Miles was taking it to UCONN while if not for Nika, we would have been down 10 midway thru Q1.

ND had their crap game the other day against Maryland. We saved ours for today. Out played, out toughed, and out maneuvered. Nice game by Lou, but UCONN could not overcome Azzi's injury AND Aubrey's no-show offensively. Nika had some nice numbers trading assists for scoring - 11 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds. And it was GREAT seeing Amari getting time even in a loss. My glimmer of hope for her earlier in the season is slowly growing!!!

We had some good stretches and some good defensive stops, but not enough in the end. Kudos to ND for taking it to us on national TV on their home court. Miles is the REAL DEAL. Loved her game in spite of hating the outcome.
It was painful watching them dare Aubrey to shoot, and she just became more and more uncomfortable as she kept missing.

Reaction Score
This was the first game UConn has played on an opponents home floor. Also, Iowa led
UConn for much of their game on a neutral court.

I'd like to think that UConn can beat tough teams when the crowd is against them.
I look forward to the game at Maryland to see what we can do there.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Always tough to lose in a beatdown esp against a team I can't stand. But gotta give it to them, they're the better team today. Outplayed us every which way. As poorly as we played, it's still just a loss. Plenty of time to fix our shortcomings. I'm more concerned about Azzi. Glad Coach took no chances.

Reaction Score
The question I will ask, need not be asked: How does Geno fix the lack of one scorer causing a short circuit or is the problem deeper than that?
Not just one scorer is bad. All three, Azzi, Aubrey and Caroline are bad today. It is a very bad day for Geno.

Reaction Score
Uconn Women are a great team to watch , when they are winning. Notre Dame revived an old ND plan and an old WestBled and a new Baby Maybre (spelling). Physical size apparently mattered. Ayanna can leap but taking up post room she doesn't. I was pleased number 42 DeBerry drilled a three. Post defender she isn't, which is a shame because that would get her lots of PT.
ND coach covered Aubrey and Lou heavily and it paid off. It seems Niel I. watched lot of Uconn game footages.
An 18 point better team than the one Uconn fielded last week--just isn't.
The question I will ask, need not be asked: How does Geno fix the lack of one scorer causing a short circuit or is the problem deeper than that?
ND Coach deserves some credit. The injury to Azzi happened AFTER UC was behind. That didn't help but it didn't cause it.
At half time ND interviewed a master at physicality, and a good shooter--I still don't like her.
I think it was a two point game when she was injured.

Reaction Score
I do think Dorka would've been huge in this game. Her fight and energy would've been great against their front line. And when Miles got into the lane, her length would've been huge.
Also, given how Azzi's played all year, I do think she probably would've been able to get into a rhythm offensively at some point in the game, but the face guarding thing, which I'm sure she probably saw a lot in high schools, is something that she'll have to be prepared for. Citron is a studd and she pretty much didn't let Azzi get any open looks Tbh it gave me flashbacks of Paige against Arizona in the tournament.
The game was allowed to be too physical, and that wouldn’t favor Dorka. I didn’t expect to see people block Ayanna’s shots so easily either. I know she can jump.

Reaction Score
I liked our fight to keep fighting without Azzi and Dorka. Lou is a gamer bucket getter. Do yall think she can make and play in the W??? Nika needs to be a little more unselfish because she can score getting to the basket for lay-ups. Caroline need to find her confidence and play fearless like last year. Aubrey should stop thinking about shooting and just shoot. She hesitate before every shot. I hate that they lost but it's a good lost that will only make them better.

Reaction Score
Couldn't watch the last 5 mins, went for quick dinner and came to the BY hoping some miracle happened, but alas, no. While I was eating, I was wondering who were the players that got on the plane with Lou and Azzi. They looked nothing like the women who played the last 7 games. Notre Dame was good, but not THAT good. Ocerall defense was poor; need Dorka in there. Too much standing around. Aubrey has a lot of strengths, outside shooting is not one of them. Caroline mystified me, something is going on with that neck/back thing, and it may be there all year. I just expected a better showing, even without Azzi. The losses the past few years have certainly tempered my post game reactions.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Dorka would have made any difference in this game. Dorka and Edward’s struggle against big front court players. ND’s front court manhandled UConn. I suspect UConn will have the similar problems facing the SC front court.

Reaction Score
I am just wondering if Caroline can reach her potential with all her injuries.
Griffen "took those shots" because she was open and other players were not, and she's been practicing those shots (but not under duress). She needs more practice shots to get confidence in them, so that she can feast on the opportunities defenses provide and become an All American.

Reaction Score
The game was allowed to be too physical, and that wouldn’t favor Dorka. I didn’t expect to see people block Ayanna’s shots so easily either. I know she can jump.
She's been getting blocked or having to adjust every team she faced so far. I'm shocked also the way she can get up but she played well today

Reaction Score
People should not fret too much over this loss, even if it is to ND. Uconn was essentially playing without 3 key starters. Any other team would have been swept off the floor by a top-10 team that played well like ND. As long as Azzi's injury is not serious, Uconn will be fine.

Kat

Reaction Score
They were shooting well from the onset and the Huskies were not. Outside shooting is like hitting in baseball--when someone gets a few, it gets contagious, and others start getting in on the fun, pressure eases up, too. I really thought UConn was going to get back but the shots just weren't dropping. As everyone knows, losing your best scorer hurt. So did getting pushed around, knocked down, and what the hay was that cheap shot on Nika? I hope her jaw is okay. The Azzi injury occurred because a ND knocked Edwards on her butt and into Fudd.

It's a loss, yup, but they played tight, hard D throughout the game, and no one backed off. As long as that goes on, the Huskies will be fine. I want a rematch in March.

Reaction Score
UCONN had to play Friday night, and in about 36 hours travel half way across the country, and play a good Notre Dame team on their home court who played Thursday at home, and just had to sit home and wait for UCONN to show up!
This is the reality, not excuses, UCONN has to do a better job of scheduling, especially the last few years where they are short handed, and there are so many injuries!
Glad Geno took no chances with Azzi, she won't be needed against Princeton, so it'll give her time to rest the knee!
Auriemma schedules like he does everything else, to get the team prepared to go for a NC. They were not going undefeated and while losing sucks, it is part of the game.
As for Fudd being available or not, I get a kick out if the utter lack of respect some Uconn fans have for other programs. I seem to remember a TON of “ND has little to no chance“ posts leading up to today; followed by the requisite, the refs sucked, wait until we get players back, if Fudd only played, etc., etc., etc.
Uconn, while certainly a legendary program and still one of a less than a handful of elite teams, is not the juggernaut they once were, through absolutely no fault of their own. Actually, that is not true, because the rise in the number of quality players, coaches and teams that make that a fact is a direct result of Uconn‘s unprecedented success.

Reaction Score
Actually it was very wisely scheduled game. Got to really challenge the team and make them face adversity. Got to see the teams toughness. Very good learning experience for the group. Overall, this game will benefit this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom