ND Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

ND Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No excuses for missing players.
ND wanted it more, executed better and showed the holes in our defense.
Geno should sit them all down to watch the game, not as punishment, but as a learning experience.

I hate when they lose in South Bend

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I watched the game and not sure I can add any additional commentary beyond the fact ND shot lights out and Miles controlled the tempo the entire game. Fudd getting hurt obviously didn't help matters and I hope it's just a minor injury for her.

ND has a very good team but I think the Huskies could beat them in a rematch with Dorka and Fudd. UConn just needed more bodies. I know Ducharme isn't 100% at all but I'm wondering how healthy she really is. She hasn't looked the same since her concussion last season.

The team should learn from this and use this loss to motivate them for more games against top flight competition.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just listening to the presser now, I think he was very clear on what could have been done better by the players that were available, how they let Miles run roughshod in the 1st half without even trying to force her left, and just getting better movement instead of watching and worrying who would put the ball in the bucket. I thought a very positive presser with good learning messages.

Reaction Score
Funny how after a loss the postgame thread is much bigger with many people chiming in who don't post unless we lose.

The very same thing happens on a hockey board I post on. It's human nature I guess.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if we state an opinion why everyone thinks we are being critical of our coach the GOAT of women’s basketball.
I know it is early, but Mir McLean is off to a fantastic start in the ACC.
Unfortunately - no one is perfect and that’s why is it fun to talk basketball in this BY
But it's okay if some of us disagree with your opinion, right? If we can't then what's the point of sites like these?
Such as think it completely wrong to look at Mir McLean's start having any relevance. Aren't we always concerned with Transfers that could be stars at other schools but flop at UCONN; meaning a player can perform extremely well at 1 school but not at UCONN? Did you really expect that the H/S A?A players that can't break the lineup at "UCONN" won't do well at other schools that aren't as good?

And hasn't UCONN's start been terrific too? Mir would be behind Dorka, Edwards, Patterson, Griffin, Ducharme, and Lou (players that play the 3-5 spots).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN loses Azzi Fudd during a game while having a road game agaisnt a top tier team; they are more-than-likely gonna lose. --->That's why other plays on the UCONN team might have a bad game.

Reaction Score
There is a saying in football. Teams with great defenses "travel well". Well, UConn's finesse, perimeter game is the opposite - it doesnt travel well. Without any post play, UConn has to be near-perfect with its passing, picks & of course shooting to score consistently against physical, big teams. It's not that hard to defend UConn if you have the size & physical players. Just clog the middle to prevent any cutting, and play tight perimeter defense against our "scorers". Azzi & Lou would need to play "hero ball" to give us a shot - very hard to do. We've seen this year after year in our losses. You need to have a post game to get easy points, put pressure on the other team, & create space for our shooters. Maybe a healthy Dorka/AE combo can get us there, but I doubt it this year against the physical Top 10 teams.

I wish I could love this post more than I can! :)

I'm not a fan of finesse, perimeter basketball any more than I'm a fan of finesse, perimeter hockey. It's just too easy for other teams to intimidate with physical play & knock the finesse team off of their game even if they're not on the same level in terms of talent. I've seen it happen hundreds of times. UConn needs to be a lot tougher mentally as well as physically when they play powerful AND talented teams like ND & SC or they're not going to win #12 any time soon.

Reaction Score
I wish I could love this post more than I can! :)

I'm not a fan of finesse, perimeter basketball any more than I'm a fan of finesse, perimeter hockey. It's just too easy for other teams to intimidate with physical play & knock the finesse team off of their game even if they're not on the same level in terms of talent. I've seen it happen hundreds of times. UConn needs to be a lot tougher mentally as well as physically when they play powerful AND talented teams like ND & SC or they're not going to win #12 any time soon.
So going to all these Final Fours and getting to Finals these last several years has been easy on our opponents?

I am a fan of great skill. SO while it gets construed I'm just sticking up for Geno just because he wins that isn't entirely true. It's that I'm a fan of his type of style. And as a result, you say UCONN needs to get a lot tougher mentally. Yet they are always in FF's and have been to Finals these lats several years.

So how is that taken for not mentally tough??

I tend to think some fans are in love with slow down old style low post basketball. As a fan, I am so glad that UCONN avoids that style. I want the team to run. That's how you get the recruiting which results in 11 Titles and many consecutive Final Fours coming from a non-power conference out-recruiting from Storrs Ct so many college programs. Many of these super recruits see how the UCONN style fits their game.

No team is perfect in terms of not having a weakness. When you lose, you are going to lose the game at some “fundamental.” And please don’t take this the wrong way, please don’t. But I feel sorry for your outlook as ot what you want to see if you can’t fully appreciate what UCONN has done. I love UCONN’s style. And it seems like you and others can’t appreciate that style near as much as I do. We’ve been to so many Final Fours etc and you use the word “easy” with our opponents?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This was a tough one, but a loss in South Bend to an inspired Notre Dame team in December is way better than in March. This team had a rude awakening and without Fudd's late game heroics, this game was a runaway. Geno prepared this team the best he could but I don't think he could simulate how attached the defenders were to Lou and Azzi. Citron was so close she could name each ingredient Fudd had in her pre-game Chipotle bowl.

I can deal with a loss, injuries are heartbreakers, wishing for a speedy for Azzi. The ladies will rest, regroup and recover. There were sections in the game in which I felt I was watching football.
Good line: "Citron was so close she could name each ingredient Fudd had in her pre-game Chipotle bowl."
And those two know each other from their time together on the U.S.A. team in Europe: both were starters, along with Caitlin Clark.

Reaction Score
UCONN's style "doesn't travel well?" It seems any team they beat doesn't count.

Just -- wow.

Anyhow, injury issue still haunting UCONN. Hope Azzi is okay. This is why elite teams usually do well when they have the superstar to lean on, - and why they don't do as well when they are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom