ND meeting with ACC presidents | The Boneyard

ND meeting with ACC presidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
some of the wvu clowns need to get their heads out of the sand. multiple university presidents dont meet at the same time over a bowl tie in.

Reaction Score
Probably partial membership. If so, is it us, Rutgers or UL that tags along...... or does no one tag along?

Reaction Score
My source says ND was meeting with the ACC honchos to see if we could use one of their stadiums to set up a series of games with ND using the ACC stadiums as our home field.

Trying to confirm.

Reaction Score
My source says ND was meeting with the ACC honchos to see if we could use one of their stadiums to set up a series of games with ND using the ACC stadiums as our home field.

Trying to confirm.

It would have to be Maryland's stadium then, which I doubt. The only place I see BE teams playing ND on a neutral field is the Meadowlands or Foxboro. Besides, the idea that a meeting of ACC presidents to discuss loaning a field to the Big East and ND when the ACC tself doesn't own the field seems silly.

I think they are talking about one of the following:
1. Bowls
2. Partial membership.
3. Full membership. (never)

Reaction Score
I still cannot fathom a meeting where multiple presidents all show up with ND to talk about a bowl tie-in. My guess is it's either they're talking about ND joining, or the more likely scenario, some assistants to presidents all met up and they talked about bowl stuff. I do not see presidents taking the time to travel on a holiday weekend about bowl stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still cannot fathom a meeting where multiple presidents all show up with ND to talk about a bowl tie-in. My guess is it's either they're talking about ND joining, or the more likely scenario, some assistants to presidents all met up and they talked about bowl stuff. I do not see presidents taking the time to travel on a holiday weekend about bowl stuff.

It's either a bowl tie-in or ND manipulating people for their own purposes. The Irish aren't going anywhere, in the near future.

ND is like a hot girl who flirts with mediocre guys just to piss off their girlfriends. Everyone else in the room know that they are not getting any, but even a slim possiblity of success makes guys ignore the sure thing that's sitting next to them. It would not surprise me if ND was talking about moving to the ACC, just enough to convince them that a bowl tie in for the Irish makes sense to keep facilitate a future move.

If your interests align with ND, they can be a powerful ally, but they'd throw you to the sharks in a second if it furthered their interests. We should never have given them partial membership, but we are far to weak to kick them to curb today.

Reaction Score
It's either a bowl tie-in or ND manipulating people for their own purposes. The Irish aren't going anywhere, in the near future.

ND is like a hot girl who flirts with mediocre guys just to piss off their girlfriends. Everyone else in the room know that they are not getting any, but even a slim possiblity of success makes guys ignore the sure thing that's sitting next to them. It would not surprise me if ND was talking about moving to the ACC, just enough to convince them that a bowl tie in for the Irish makes sense to keep facilitate a future move.

If your interests align with ND, they can be a powerful ally, but they'd throw you to the sharks in a second if it furthered their interests. We should never have given them partial membership, but we are far to weak to kick them to curb today.
exactly, which is why I think it wasn't a president's meeting, but rather a meeting of assistants discussing bowl tie-in stuff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Texas could flip the switch on FSU and Clemson and have them by the end of the week. ND is never joining the ACC. It is either about a bowl alliance, just a catch up meeting, or a figment of the Clemson writer's imagination.

Reaction Score
totally agree that we never should have offered partial membership, but perversely, it made sense when the league was only partially committed to football. Not so much today, or frankly, for the past 15 years. I'm not sure, though, why we're too weak to kick them to the curb. There might be reasons we can't, but sometimes, when you have little or nothing left to lose, its time to just do the right thing. I mean, what is going to happen? The Big East loses its BCS bid or the irish cancel the home-home series they have with all those Big East teams?

pj

Reaction Score
How can a conference that accepts non-football members like Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul, Villanova, Marquette, deny non-football membership to Notre Dame? It's clearly a valuable addition, even as a partial member.

Reaction Score
How can a conference that accepts non-football members like Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul, Villanova, Marquette, deny non-football membership to Notre Dame? It's clearly a valuable addition, even as a partial member.
Yes because of all those Championships they've won...all the final fours they've been to...Reality is that Seton Hall, Providence et all are vestiges of an earlier era. Notre Dame has something the Big East needed desperately but has refused to provide it. And while they might add a bit to the basketball side, Villanova, Georgetown, even Marquette are far more valuable. UConn, Louisville, are on a different planet in terms of value.

CL82

Reaction Score
totally agree that we never should have offered partial membership, but perversely, it made sense when the league was only partially committed to football. Not so much today, or frankly, for the past 15 years. I'm not sure, though, why we're too weak to kick them to the curb. There might be reasons we can't, but sometimes, when you have little or nothing left to lose, its time to just do the right thing. I mean, what is going to happen? The Big East loses its BCS bid or the irish cancel the home-home series they have with all those Big East teams?

I think we lose a potential negotiating partner for bowls. Adding ND as a possible bowl participant, say every third year, makes the Big East more attractive.

CL82

Reaction Score

They were far less valuable when they first joined the conference.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Sad as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see Notre Dame enter a football bowl alliance with the ACC...and the Big East would do absolutely nothing and carry on with the rest of their olympic sports in the BE as if nothing else happened. That would sum up the ND-BE relationship in a nutshell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sad as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see Notre Dame enter a football bowl alliance with the ACC...and the Big East would do absolutely nothing and carry on with the rest of their olympic sports in the BE as if nothing else happened. That would sum up the ND-BE relationship in a nutshell.
*Sigh*

Reaction Score

Could someone please try explaining to me one more time why it would be "sad" for Notre Dame to be acting in its best interests as opposed to ours? Can anyone give me an example of when UConn did something opposed to its best interests to help Notre Dame, or, if not, why it's "sad" that we didn't?

Reaction Score
Without debating theological dispensation, about which I am pretty sure UConn's role has been nonexistent in the history of mankind, I am pretty sure that with respect to the common management of the Big East, Notre Dame has received special dispensation as compared to any other member. Special rights, special obligations...that sort of thing.

Could someone please try explaining to me one more time why it would be "sad" for Notre Dame to be acting in its best interests as opposed to ours? Can anyone give me an example of when UConn did something opposed to its best interests to help Notre Dame, or, if not, why it's "sad" that we didn't?

Reaction Score

1) Yes
2) Yes

You're welcome

Reaction Score
Bizlaw

You have to admit ND got everything they could from the BE and if they kick us to the curb for the ACC it is sad.

Regardless of self interest it is sad.

They have the ability to help the BE survive and do quite well for themselves right where they are. If they don't I hope karma shows up soon.

Reaction Score
BE has been ND's b*tch forever.

If any deal happens between the ACC and ND it will not be that kind of a relationship. The ACC will demand that ND give as much as it gets.

If ND declines where are they going to go? To the academic lightweight conference a/k/a as the Big12?

ND's best conference fit is the ACC and unfortunately for ND the ACC knows it and Swoffird will negotiate from that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom