ND/Louisville...anything untoward happen? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND/Louisville...anything untoward happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just watch the 4th qtr of the Uconn/ND football game where refs called back two consecutive TD's by Uconn on bogus calls, even their NBC announcers questioned the calls. SPitt up two TD's and on 4th down incompletion refs call pass interference against Spitt on ND tight end, bogus call, enough keep ND in game they eventually win.
Was there a foul two years ago on the Diggins steal and punch from behind against Hartley - refs didn't see it; was there a foul by Hartley on Diggins drive at the end of the last game - refs saw one. Don't have to be a lot of calls by refs to change a game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All ND games should be officiated by a Catholic, a Calvinist, and an atheist.

Reaction Score
Funny. Love sarcasm. And you do it so well!

Seriously, my point is not the way the draw fouls and get to the line. Last night, it was how they defend so agressively and don't get called for fouls.

8 fouls all game? I don't think this is a coaching technique.

And when UConn defends aggressively and only gets called for fouls? I've seen the same type of defense played by UConn with similar results, and the subsequent opposing fans complaining about how few fouls are called on UConn. Refs tend not to blow the whistle when the defense is aggressive, but yet disciplined.

Muffet has recruited players that get to the free throw line. Individual players that are extremely skilled at getting to the free throw line, and I would guess are also extremely well coached on the proper technique to force the foul call. Dee suddenly got to the free throw line much more a couple of years into her WNBA career. Well she spent the WNBA off-season learning the techniques used by NBA starts to force calls.

Geno has mostly recruited players that by their nature don't get to the FT line very much. And while he talks about the importance of getting to the free throw line, he's never really elevated it as a priority. Getting to the free throw line a lot and playing "perfect" offensive basketball aren't in perfect harmony.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
All ND games should be officiated by a Catholic, a Calvinist, and an atheist.

C'mon padre. there's gotta be a joke in there. Something like...

A Catholic, a Calvinist and an Atheist walk into Joyce arena to officiate a Notre Dame basketball game. The Catholic says "May God bless the Irish tonight!" The Calvinist pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket, checks it for a minute and says "Yup. They're on God's list!" The Atheist looks at the Calvinist and says "Geno gave you a list?"

Sorry. I'm not a theologists.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And when UConn defends aggressively and only gets called for fouls? I've seen the same type of defense played by UConn with similar results, and the subsequent opposing fans complaining about how few fouls are called on UConn. Refs tend not to blow the whistle when the defense is aggressive, but yet disciplined.

Funny you mention that. UConn had only 10 fouls called tonight and thought to myself, hmmm, and I gave ND a hard time?

UConn has always been one of the best teams at not having fouls called. And this year is no exception. They have been called for 298 fouls. This compares to the 328 that ND has been called for.

Where the big difference is the number of times ND gets to the foul line compared to their opponents.

ND - 538 FT taken, OPP - 314 FT taken
UConn - 348 FT taken, OPP - 280 FT taken

Some of the reasons for this, you have artfully given. But there is something else that is not quantifiable or explainable on style alone. They just get more of the calls. Good for them. Find a way to beat them anyways...!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
C'mon padre. there's gotta be a joke in there. Something like...

A Catholic, a Calvinist and an Atheist walk into Joyce arena to officiate a Notre Dame basketball game. The Catholic says "May God bless the Irish tonight!" The Calvinist pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket, checks it for a minute and says "Yup. They're on God's list!" The Atheist looks at the Calvinist and says "Geno gave you a list?"

Sorry. I'm not a theologists.

Don't apologize. I thought that was very good. I was thinking "How about predestined" for the Calvinist but then realized that would not have worked as well with the punchline. Nice!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fuller's blog with a quote from Geno on shooting FTs:

Another stat that jumped off the page was that the Huskies attempted a season high 30 free throws.

"We generally don't get to shoot a lot of free throws against Catholic schools, tonight was an exception," Auriemma said in a not so subtle jab at the foul-shot discrepancy in games against Big East rival Notre Dame. "Maybe the Pope resigning had something to do with it, the officials are a little bit lax and weren't paying attention as much. Free throws are a function of how much you are moving. When you are standing around a lot, you don't get to the free throw line. I thought we had really good movement, our cuts were pretty sharp. We probably dribbled the ball into the lane as much as we have in a long time and I think you need to put yourself in a position to get fouled. To me it is such an important part of the game that
you'd be silly not to try to take advantage of it and I'll be the first person to say I don't think we have done as good a job with it as we have in past years."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But Geno does complain about it every year. So it is hard to put too much weight on his comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom