ND/Louisville...anything untoward happen? | The Boneyard

ND/Louisville...anything untoward happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Except for a few highlights I didn't see any of it....ND in an easy win at home.
I had the sound muted during most of the highlights and it seemed as if there was some kind of
controversy at some point...fans on the court? Does anyone know what happened [if anything].
I thought I heard the 'Ville coach say something about this would never happen at their home court.

Got wisdom?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Except for a few highlights I didn't see any of it....ND in an easy win at home.
I had the sound muted during most of the highlights and it seemed as if there was some kind of
controversy at some point...fans on the court? Does anyone know what happened [if anything].
I thought I heard the 'Ville coach say something about this would never happen at their home court.

Got wisdom?

This is from the ESPN recap on their website...

"Walz was visibly unhappy about the officiating at times, complaining when a foul against Achonwa was overturned and changed into a traveling call and again when Jude Schimmel was called for a foul with 0.1 seconds left in the first half when Diggins attempted a 25-foot running shot as she tried to beat the buzzer. "Danielle, welcome to Notre Dame," a frustrated Walz yelled toward Big East associate commissioner Danielle Donehew at the end of the court."

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From the ESPN recap:

Louisville was on the short end of a lot of statistics against Notre Dame.

The one that really stood out to coach Jeff Walz was that the second-ranked Irish took nearly four times as many free throws as No. 10 Louisville in the 93-64 loss Monday night."I thought we came out, we attacked and we went at them inside," Walz said. "We get to the line seven times, and I thought we attacked and went hard at the basket. Somehow they got to the line 26 times. Stuff happens, I guess."

Walz was visibly unhappy about the officiating at times, complaining when a foul against Achonwa was overturned and changed into a traveling call and again when Jude Schimmel was called for a foul with 0.1 seconds left in the first half when Diggins attempted a 25-foot running shot as she tried to beat the buzzer. "Danielle, welcome to Notre Dame," a frustrated Walz yelled toward Big East associate commissioner Danielle Donehew at the end of the court.

IMO, the call at the end of the 1st half on Diggins' heave from half court was totally bogus.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
How long has Jeff been in the Big East? :)

And how often have fans been saying the Huskies need to get to the foul line more often? I guess, if and when they do, they'll be happy about the ability, not bitter.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed was that S. Shimmel kept both teams in the game. For a while.

The refs should have been attired in leprechaun outfits.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme @CharlieCreme
tonight's Lou-ND is telling us something about the polls. NO WAY the Cardinals are the 10th best team in the country.Good, yes. Top-10. No
I see where Charlie is coming from, but you need SOME teams to be in the top ten. I guess Louisville doesn't even make that standard. By the way, Jude Schimmel is good! And Papa, I thought Jude (on Diggins' right) got Diggins on the elbow during the heave. It looked like that from one angle, but it was far from conclusive.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed was that S. Shimmel kept both teams in the game. For a while.

The refs should have been attired in leprechaun outfits.
Did you really think the officiating was that bad?

Reaction Score
Foul Shots:
Lou 3-7
ND 19-26

Will ND continue to get such favorable treatment in the ACC?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Did you really think the officiating was that bad?

There were many plays I saw that I felt a foul sould have been called on the ND player where there was either a call on Louisville or a no call.

The numbers don't lie. 8 fouls called on ND for the game. For a team as aggressive as ND, that number is just impossible.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If you look at ND's foul stats they are really lopsided when compared to the rest of WCBB. They commit more fouls than UConn by a small percentage but the number of FTs they take is astronomical. And they rank #1 in FT percentage.

Notre Dame has taken 538 free throws, their opponents 314. More than 22% of their points have come from the FT line. In contrast just over 13% of UConn cores came from FTs.

The question is why? What is Notre Dame doing to get the foul calls? I don't believe the refs are biased I think it has to do with how they play. I think it's a large part of their game plan to go at their opponents and make them foul.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If you look at ND's foul stats they are really lopsided when compared to the rest of WCBB. They commit more fouls than UConn by a small percentage but the number of FTs they take is astronomical. And they rank #1 in FT percentage.

Notre Dame has taken 538 free throws, their opponents 314. More than 22% of their points have come from the FT line. In contrast just over 13% of UConn cores came from FTs.

The question is why? What is Notre Dame doing to get the foul calls? I don't believe the refs are biased I think it has to do with how they play. I think it's a large part of their game plan to go at their opponents and make them foul.

Ridiculous! ND's years of success in the Big East shows that it's all about the refs' bias and nothing to do with a deliberately coached strategy.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Ridiculous! ND's years of success in the Big East shows that it's all about the refs' bias and nothing to do with a deliberately coached strategy.

not mutually exclusive, TJI!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Foul Shots:
Lou 3-7
ND 19-26

Will ND continue to get such favorable treatment in the ACC?

Who said they got favorable treatment?

I bet if I played Britney Griner 1-on-1, I'd get about 90 fouls and she'd get 2. Does that differential alone mean the refs are biased for her?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think the reality lies in some combination of what doggydaddy and vtcwbuff have to say. Notre Dame obviously has a strategy to draw fouls, like Tennessee I would add, and there's nothing wrong with that. More credit to them!

However, a game like Louisville is puzzling. Louisville wants to draw fouls as well, but obviously did not succeed at Notre Dame. Like vtcwbuff, I don't believe officials are biased, and tendencies this way or that should be averaged out over enough games. Yet that Louisville game does stick out, not so much for fouls being called on them as would be expected from Notre Dame's strategy. Why did Notre Dame get so few?

I think back to the Abrosimova days. She tended to complain about officiating, and Auriemma reacted strongly to put a lid on it. Even as Auriemma himself has some sarcastic comments about officiating from time to time, his system calls for clamping down on his players' frustrations. There was a reason for this, he did not want his players to adopt a victim's mentality.

Quite frankly, I don't think McGraw's system is based on the same philosophy. Her players let the officials know, directly or indirectly, whenever they think something's amiss. I see people piling on Diggins here but I don't think that's fair. I think her reactions are fairly typical of an extreme competitor, but in Auriemma's system that's to be curbed, a la Abrosimova. In McGraw's system that's not. Perhaps it's even encouraged, considering her players to my eye seem to complain more than the players of other teams. Such a system risks the victim's mentality, but on the other hand the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Granted, this is all speculation on my part. It would be interesting to quantify the amount of complaints/disgruntled looks/etc. of different teams in a game.

Reaction Score
By the way, Jude Schimmel is good!
I agree. One moment sticks in my mind. Jude was defending in the paint against Anchowa and Wright. She was ineffectively bouncing against them with great vigor. She did look like a Lilliputian, but the extrodinary effort was there.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly enjoyed the play where McBride took the ball up, started off with the every so present ND forearm shove knocking the Louisville guard to the ground without a call, ending in a finger roll on the other side. Apparently ND has mastered the art of creating separation by force without a call. Tho they do pretty much everything without a call. Except Ochanwa... the only irish to ever be in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I agree. One moment sticks in my mind. Jude was defending in the paint against Anchowa and Wright. She was ineffectively bouncing against them with great vigor. She did look like a Lilliputian, but the extrodinary effort was there.

For me it was the crossover followed by the around the back dribble through her legs. Girl has serious skills

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Funny. Love sarcasm. And you do it so well!

Seriously, my point is not the way the draw fouls and get to the line. Last night, it was how they defend so agressively and don't get called for fouls.

8 fouls all game? I don't think this is a coaching technique.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly enjoyed the play where McBride took the ball up, started off with the every so present ND forearm shove knocking the Louisville guard to the ground without a call, ending in a finger roll on the other side. Apparently ND has mastered the art of creating separation by force without a call. Tho they do pretty much everything without a call. Except Ochanwa... the only irish to ever be in foul trouble.

officials are biased against Canadians...

Reaction Score
If you actually watched the game you'd notice that 20 of ND's FT came from Achonwa, McBride, and Loyd. All three drew fouls driving the lane and rebounding. Louisville only had one player that wanted to get into the lane, Smith, and she went to the line at the same clip as the 3 ND players. ND also doubled LVille up in rebounds showing their lack of lane presence and their rebound fouls from being late to the ball. The Schimmel's and Hammond had no interest in shooting anything beside outside jumpers. If two teams play the same way then fouls should be even, but if they don't there is no reason to think they should be. Walz first statement even before the game when discussing his strategy was to be "physical" with ND. UConn must recognize that strategy because he's applied it to them too. ND didn't have to bait them into contact, they were more than willing to do it on their own. Why would a coach who thinks that ND get's unfair treatment and knows they are the #1 ft shooting team still imply the strategy of being physical? Is not quite the same spread as LVille vs Rutgers where it was 30 ft vs 2 ft....he didn't cry around about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom