ND is Pipeline to WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND is Pipeline to WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd like to think that The Boneyard is loaded with a group of fair minded folks. Notre Dame has produced some excellent players for the WNBA and has there been another team that has played as tough against UCONN during the last 7 or 8 years? Give them credit when it is due. If every team is compared to UCONN concerning anything to do with WBB then most will fall pretty short. I love UCONN, but kicking other teams around should be below us. Go Notre Dame!
If my post came across as dissing Notre Dame--that was not my intent. But by numbers UConn has sent more to the WNBA and Europe than ND. I followed ND Basketball, a bit of their football, and most of the National TV games of ND Women. Muffet lost me for a while as a fan with her hissing contest with Uconn with less than truthful and less than professional comments. I'm back to liking Muffet but kind of waiting for her revert to form. ND talent, unlike some, I like Turner her potential is very high. Muffet has a record of coaching Big girls to goodness if not greatness starting with Riley and currently with Riemer and Turner. She has had some of the best guards in College BB that she developed--Mallory/the Australian kid and Loyd (among other). Point is ---
Tough competition is desired by Uconn and it's fans--being less than professional takes away from that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The fanbase surely isnt ;)

True, but then there's the contingent who lecture the boastful ones about being ungracious. We're a complicated bunch in case you haven't noticed.

Reaction Score
In the interest of accuracy, they could say "ND pipeline to 2nd place"

JS

Reaction Score
Give them credit when it is due. If every team is compared to UCONN concerning anything to do with WBB then most will fall pretty short. I love UCONN, but kicking other teams around should be below us. Go Notre Dame!
Agreed. But the blindness of ND publicity pieces to UConn has occasionally been jaw-dropping.

Season before last there was a triumphant review of the wonderful season ND had, going undefeated so long and all the way to another Final Four and championship game.

The glaring omission from the extended and detailed paean to ND's hardwood glory was any mention of what happened in that final game -- who it was against or what the result was.

No reflection on my favorite simian ND fan, orangutan, but . . .

see-no-evil-monkey-10349943.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If my post came across as dissing ND, it was because that was exactly what I intended to do. That's what you do with rivals and right now ND is closest we've got to one. I respect what Muffet has done at ND, but for UConn, they would be this generation's dominant team.

So let me say that I admire their gritty pluckyness. Here's to you Notre Dame Woman's Basketball:
participation-award.png

Not really, but it's a nice sentiment isn't it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the interest of accuracy, they could say "ND pipeline to 2nd place"
I like to think of it not so much as "second place" but more like the "first place loser."

Reaction Score
Anyone can list the UConn post players are currently working as coach, assistant coach and basketball related fields (such as Lobo is in ESPN)?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That was a great video MJL. I remember seeing it and loved Huffman's comments that "i've been her 3 times and lost to the same team and i'm sick of it and of them". That about sums it up. I do think it's kind of funny when people talk about playing a "uncharacteristically bad" game. They mentioned how "this team can score and we just didn't" several times. Finally, at least Muffet acknowledged some of that might be due to UCONN's defense....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Does any1 believe this article was timed when Lauren Cox is visiting ND this weekend.

NO, its just a coincidence :)

Lauren's visit to ND is scheduled for Sept 4-6th.

Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Very true. I didn't know what thread title to use as the lead title of the piece was too long and boring. I decided to borrow from the subtitle (Coaching, style of play & resources make ND pipeline to pros). As I said, it's very well done and ND has every reason to be proud of its accomplishments and former players. UConn is sometimes too reticent to boast about its accomplishments.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
triaddukefan replied: "The fanbase surely isnt ;)"

Nor should we be. If your team is ever able to hang 1WCBB Championship banner in Cameron, you'll understand. :)

Reaction Score
Does any1 believe this article was timed when Lauren Cox is visiting ND this weekend.

NO, its just a coincidence :)

Lauren's visit to ND is scheduled for Sept 4-6th.

"There are no coincidences, just the illusion of coincidences" - V

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Very true. I didn't know what thread title to use as the lead title of the piece was too long and boring. I decided to borrow from the subtitle (Coaching, style of play & resources make ND pipeline to pros). As I said, it's very well done and ND has every reason to be proud of its accomplishments and former players. UConn is sometimes too reticent to boast about its accomplishments.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
triaddukefan replied: "The fanbase surely isnt ;)"

Nor should we be. If your team is ever able to hang 1WCBB Championship banner in Cameron, you'll understand. :)

Its not like other teams I root for havent ever won titles :cool: But I digress

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has had a series of great seasons. That article is what PR people do.

Notre Dame can put on blinders on last season and try and claim whatever they choose. It's the recruits that matter and if they don't understand what UConn has accomplished in comparison to the Irish then they must either live in a cave or else they want to believe the Irish propaganda.

I'd like to be in the room when a recruit or their parent asks: "Ms McGraw, If FF's and the likelihood of a pro career are your selling points shouldn't I be signing with UConn?"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
True, but then there's the contingent who lecture the boastful ones about being ungracious. We're a complicated bunch in case you haven't noticed.

complicated, among other things :p

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
It said: Notre Dame, which has been to the NCAA Women’s Final Four the past five seasons
It never says: Notre Dame has never won any championship in the past five seasons.
This kinda makes them the Buffalo Bills of WCBB! ;)

Reaction Score
Maybe. But after reading this ND piece I can't help but contrast it with the reaction here to Kiah Stokes' terrific rookie year. Rather than all celebrating her success and how the UConn program prepared her for the pros, we're left debating whether Geno somehow failed her during her time at UConn. I guess that's the price of so much success.

WELL PUT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32