ND Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

ND Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is well coached and their small lineup got them open looks. Getting them into foul trouble in 2nd half really helped. UConn made 13 more Free Throws then ND did. ND's outside shooting kept them in the game, but didn't get them to the Free Throw line.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And apparently Tuck as well. That's why predictions of 200-0 and 7 straight championships were a little ridiculous.

Where is the idea that Tuck's leaving coming from other than pure speculation from Dave O'Brien?

Reaction Score
Where is the idea that Tuck's leaving coming from other than pure speculation from Dave O'Brien?
The way Doris was talking about the conversations that Geno has had with Tuck. Tuck herself goes back and forth on the idea of coming back.

Reaction Score
7 straight championships were a little ridiculous.

Well..... it is still possible..... :)

But for now I'm enjoying watching some great UConn basketball players and a great win over a good team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They haven't had much practice this week
Some less than admirable habits not exercised
This was the Stanford game...except that they won
I really hated, profoundly, the mugging of Moriah
That may have been why the final handshake was perfunctory.
She gave a bit back, but more important elevated her game.
I think having a healthy Butler helps a lot.

Reaction Score
Maybe next time if Katie Lou just stands next to her person they'll call a foul. Moriah should have been put on Mabrey sooner. She absolutely locked her down. When Geno first made the switch, you could see Mabrey give Moriah a shove. She got frustrated, which is what players sometimes do. How about Jewel Loyd in the championship game. Katie Lou is starting to find her shot. Again she hits a 3 at the end to help hold off ND. She'll be needed against three-point shooting teams. That's the only way to beat UConn, score with them. Most teams can't. There's no question Natalie will help. Breanna and Morgan carry less of the load. They don't have to worry about being too small.

Reaction Score
Maybe next time if Katie Lou just stands next to her person they'll call a foul. Moriah should have been put on Mabrey sooner. She absolutely locked her down. When Geno first made the switch, you could see Mabrey give Moriah a shove. She got frustrated, which is what players sometimes do. How about Jewel Loyd in the championship game. Katie Lou is starting to find her shot. Again she hits a 3 at the end to help hold off ND. She'll be needed against three-point shooting teams. That's the only way to beat UConn, score with them. Most teams can't. There's no question Natalie will help. Breanna and Morgan carry less of the load. They don't have to worry about being too small.
KLS does seem to be finding confidence in her shot. I think she pulls the trigger a little too quickly still thinking like a high school shooter, and often you can see her just standing around behind the 3-point line. Would prefer her to keep moving like Stewie until a higher percentage shot opens up with the ball in her hand. We're going to need her to play inside outside like Stewie. She cannot simply expect to be Kaleena part 2. Six games in and the future's looking bright for her as long as she remembers she can do more than shoot 3s.

Reaction Score
ND ran some real good plays, constant motion by 5 players, and they were real good off the dribble.
Huskies let off the gas after they were up by 22 or so, tried to milk the clock with 7 plus minutes.
The small, quick lineups appear to be a good strategy to counter the Huskies.
Nurse is getting me nervous every time she drives to the basket.
I want to see Butler!

Reaction Score
ND ran some real good plays, constant motion by 5 players, and they were real good off the dribble.
Huskies let off the gas after they were up by 22 or so, tried to milk the clock with 7 plus minutes.
The small, quick lineups appear to be a good strategy to counter the Huskies.
Nurse is getting me nervous every time she drives to the basket.
I want to see Butler!
I think Kia is trying to do too much. Needs to go back to that care free mentality of just playing that she seemed to have last year where she wasn't expected to start and was essentially playing with house money. I think she is just pressing.

Reaction Score
UConn's last two opponents have gone 26 for 49 from 3, combined. Some of that is "puncher's luck," some of that is a UConn 3 point defense that has been...deficient. I hope to see that improved in a few months. :rolleyes:

(edited to fix stat)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not from Dave. Doris said she had a conversation with Geno about it. When Geno talked to Morgan Doris stated that Geno said " We would welcome her back". The "implication" being Morgan is gone.
I got a pit in my stomach when I heard that.

Reaction Score
Kiah has just not played well recently. She is not guarding the 3pt. Line, and players are getting by her. Offensively looks a little out of sync. Just looks a step slow to me.

Reaction Score
UConn's last two opponents have gone 26 for 49 from 3, combined. Some of that is "puncher's luck," some of that is a UConn 3 point defense that has been...deficient. I hope to see that improved in a few months. :rolleyes:

(edited to fix stat)
It's amazing luck. Some of the shots the last two games were from way downtown. One of Mabrey2's first ones practically came from the scorer's table. I think there is something to be said for sagging off the 3-point defense. I know statistically Geno will take his chances, but torching the nets like that shifts momentum very quickly and then who knows what can happen. Geno should know that better than anyone after last year. How many big games did a KML 3 break the opponent's back last year? The South Carolina game when they went up 36-20, Texas when they went up 33-17, ND in the last four minutes of the title game when they sealed their fate going up 59-50, etc. When they were up 22 I was hoping they'd put 'em down 30 and really give them that last knock out punch. Perhaps Geno was right about this being a different team after this week's games. In the first few games UConn delivered the knockout blow and seemed intent on just crushing the spirit of their opponent. Now they're getting beat on 50-50 balls by lesser but more hungry talent. Perhaps the team has been reading their own press clippings?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Sloppy...but up 12 ...now ten
Finishes 91-81
Lots of film for Geno to get their attention but good win regardless
I agree. good win, but the team has a lot of things to work on. Game was more closely contested than I thought it would be.

Reaction Score
Not from Dave. Doris said she had a conversation with Geno about it. When Geno talked to Morgan Doris stated that Geno said " We would welcome her back". The "implication" being Morgan is gone.
I got a pit in my stomach when I heard that.
Same here. I guess we'll have to wait for Senior Day to know for sure. I hope she comes back. Not only is she a great basketball talent, but without her we will have zero leadership on the court next year if she doesn't return.

Reaction Score
Same here. I guess we'll have to wait for Senior Day to know for sure. I hope she comes back. Not only is she a great basketball talent, but without her we will have zero leadership on the court next year if she doesn't return.
I think Kia could lead just fine as PG

Reaction Score

I'm quite torn on it. My head (which thinks about UConn's next season) wants her to come back, for obvious reasons. My heart (which thinks of her future) wants her to go. Morgan has had both catastrophic (ACL) and chronic knee issues over her young career. There's no guarantees with regard to how they'll hold up in the future. Since the shelf life of any basketball player is limited, it might be time to start earning those $$$, IMO.

Reaction Score

Kia Nurse will be a great leader.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It's amazing luck. Some of the shots the last two games were from way downtown. One of Mabrey2's first ones practically came from the scorer's table. I think there is something to be said for sagging off the 3-point defense. I know statistically Geno will take his chances, but torching the nets like that shifts momentum very quickly and then who knows what can happen. Geno should know that better than anyone after last year. How many big games did a KML 3 break the opponent's back last year? The South Carolina game when they went up 36-20, Texas when they went up 33-17, ND in the last four minutes of the title game when they sealed their fate going up 59-50, etc. When they were up 22 I was hoping they'd put 'em down 30 and really give them that last knock out punch. Perhaps Geno was right about this being a different team after this week's games. In the first few games UConn delivered the knockout blow and seemed intent on just crushing the spirit of their opponent. Now they're getting beat on 50-50 balls by lesser but more hungry talent. Perhaps the team has been reading their own press clippings?
I thought the DePaul game would create a wakeup call; not so. this team still has work to do.
In the first half, the look on Geno's face reminded me of his look when Tennessee used to be beating them, and he really had no answer. Today's game really proved how VALUABLE Stewart is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom