ND chances on Boston? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND chances on Boston?

Reaction Score
If Boston is a lock why hasn’t she commited? Why is she going to Notre Dame this weekend with SB? Boston is far from a lock.. wouldn’t be surprised if she commits this weekend to ND.

Most players wait till the fall, after they make official visits. Even the locks. Wilson was a SC lock who waited till April of her senior year to commit. I think it's in their best interest to wait as long as they know a roster spot is being held. Things can change. Coaches leave their schools, voluntarily and involuntarily. Scandals happen.

Brunelle hasn't signed a letter yet. Maybe a hurricane or earthquake will devastate her hometown and she'll sign with Virginia. Just think what Virginia would be like with her, Bueckers, Boston & Fudd, who will all undoubtedly follow Sam to the Cavaliers. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Boston is a lock why hasn’t she commited? Why is she going to Notre Dame this weekend with SB? Boston is far from a lock.. wouldn’t be surprised if she commits this weekend to ND.
Let's revisit this on Monday. I'm thinking that Boston will still be planning other visits.

Most/many recruits will take their full set of 5 official visits. It gives them perspective, so their decision can be as informed as possible. Plus, the trips can be fun. I'm not stressing out about any recruits visiting South Bend.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most players wait till the fall, after they make official visits. Even the locks. Wilson was a SC lock who waited till April of her senior year to commit. I think it's in their best interest to wait as long as they know a roster spot is being held. Things can change. Coaches leave their schools, voluntarily and involuntarily. Scandals happen.

Brunelle hasn't signed a letter yet. Maybe a hurricane or earthquake will devastate her hometown and she'll sign with Virginia. Just think what Virginia would be like with her, Bueckers, Boston & Fudd, who will all undoubtedly follow Sam to the Cavaliers. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
That would be very interesting if Sam pulled a Charli Collier and decided to stay home.

Reaction Score
If I recall, Ogunbowale took all 5 of her official visits and ND was the first one. Whether she wanted ND all along or not is debatable. Some players like going on their visits and enjoying them. These girls have been getting bombarded with letters probably since their Freshman year. They deserve to take their visits, since they've been being bothered by hundreds of programs.

Asia Durr had ND in her top 5, but she immediately canceled the visit when she decided that Louisville was her school. Some players will do that, others will not.

Some posters are really worried about Boston because she hasn't committed to UConn yet. Newsflash!! The 2017 and 2018 No. 1 recruits all waited until the signing period to announce that they are going to UConn. The Stewart's, Samuelson's, and KML's are a thing of the past probably. Fans have to adapt to the culture that is changing with recruiting. I'm sure Geno was want to know in Feb-May compared to probably October (Samuelson and Collier committed during this time frame), but getting a player is the ultimate pay off.

Reaction Score
If I recall, Ogunbowale took all 5 of her official visits and ND was the first one. Whether she wanted ND all along or not is debatable. Some players like going on their visits and enjoying them. These girls have been getting bombarded with letters probably since their Freshman year. They deserve to take their visits, since they've been being bothered by hundreds of programs.

Asia Durr had ND in her top 5, but she immediately canceled the visit when she decided that Louisville was her school. Some players will do that, others will not.

Some posters are really worried about Boston because she hasn't committed to UConn yet. Newsflash!! The 2017 and 2018 No. 1 recruits all waited until the signing period to announce that they are going to UConn. The Stewart's, Samuelson's, and KML's are a thing of the past probably. Fans have to adapt to the culture that is changing with recruiting. I'm sure Geno was want to know in Feb-May compared to probably October (Samuelson and Collier committed during this time frame), but getting a player is the ultimate pay off.
I completely agree with you. In this social media age, these kids want to get maximum exposure from their decision.

Reaction Score
It really does not matter if Milford, Coco, UConnCat, & Jordy are not worried. The only question that matters is, is Geno worried? It is a good chance he has information UConn fans don't have regarding the direction recruits are leaning. At least, I believe he has.
The only question that matters is what each recruit thinks and decides!
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek!
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Parker's seasons in college Fall 2004 -Spring 2008 resulted in UCONN winning zero championships sometimes referred to as the Dark Ages because UCONN only made 1 FF in that time frame. UCONN won championships in spring of 2004 and Spring of 2009- immediately before and after Parker. I believe Geno was quoted as saying whoever recruited Parker was going to win multiple championships which TN did with Parker. UCONN won 2 championship despite the Wilson (SC) miss and 1 (so far) despite the Cox (TX) miss. So Parker (ST. Louis or Il) is Geno's biggest recruiting miss by far and Brittney Griner (TX) is second. Aliyah Boston would have to win 3 championships elsewhere to be considered a bigger miss than Parker or 2 to be a bigger miss than Griner.
I have no doubt that Geno would have loved to have Parker as a Husky, but let me clarify my original post. I’m not saying that Boston will be better than Wilson, Parker, Cox or C Collier. While Boston is the best post in her class, she’s clearly not the top player in her class. That would be either Horston or Jones imo.

The reason I would view losing Boston as “the most significant recruiting loss” since Geno came to CT has everything to do with geography. If UConn cannot hold onto a quality BIG in their own backyard, it could signify a dangerous new trend for the Huskies.

There are precious few talented HS posts in the country every year. NE is not like TX, where 6’4”+ WBB players are seemingly everywhere for Baylor & TX to snatch up.

Of all the various explanations why UConn did not win the last two championships, I have always felt that the absence of a true post player was the most significant. I see Boston and ONO as the keys to getting UConn back to the promised land.

Reaction Score
Just hold your breath until the end of the early signing period. ;)

If we have a small haul in 2019--which I don't think will be the case--it makes things wide open for the studs in 2020.

Recruiting is not for the faint of heart. We wait 365 days for 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 days with announcements. Try to pace yourself!

On a very different recruiting topic, my undersized but "nasty piece of business" granddaughter has multiple soccer scholarship offers and is narrowing her choice. It's interesting to be on the other side of recruiting.
Best wishes with your granddaughters recruiting and what I'm sure will be an excellent choice for her. I'm sure it must be a very exciting time for her and the whole family! My only advice is that she savor every moment!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Geno would have loved to have Parker as a Husky, but let me clarify my original post. I’m not saying that Boston will be better than Wilson, Parker, Cox or C Collier. While Boston is the best post in her class, she’s clearly not the top player in her class. That would be either Horston or Jones imo.

The reason I would view losing Boston as “the most significant recruiting loss” since Geno came to CT has everything to do with geography. If UConn cannot hold onto a quality BIG in their own backyard, it could signify a dangerous new trend for the Huskies.

There are precious few talented HS posts in the country every year. NE is not like TX, where 6’4”+ WBB players are seemingly everywhere for Baylor & TX to snatch up.

Of all the various explanations why UConn did not win the last two championships, I have always felt that the absence of a true post player was the most significant. I see Boston and ONO as the keys to getting UConn back to the promised land.
I understand your main premise about the import of a true quality big.
But, there are a few points that argue against that.
Last year he had a big and one who took the team on her back from a decent deficit to a decent lead and then she sat. Following that she choose to leave. HMMM?
Yes there are a good # of bigs in Texas, so then why haven't they won more NC.
We could and should have won the last two NC's, one with and one without a big. Unfortunately no one came up BIG when needed.
Also while I agree a mobile big is very valuable and hope Boston comes to U Conn, the game has and continues to evolve as has been discussed here numerous times.
Even really top notch bigs such as Wilson and Griner, each won only one NC.
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understand your main premise about the import of a true quality big.
But, there are a few points that argue against that.
Last year he had a big and one who took the team on her back from a decent deficit to a decent lead and then she sat. Following that she choose to leave. HMMM?
Yes there are a good # of bigs in Texas, so then why haven't they won more NC.
We could and should have won the last two NC's, one with and one without a big. Unfortunately no one came up BIG when needed.
Also while I agree a mobile big is very valuable and hope Boston comes to U Conn, the game has and continues to evolve as has been discussed here numerous times.
Even really top notch bigs such as Wilson and Griner, each won only one NC.
Bronx23
Your referencing Z of course. At 6’6”, Z was a very good player, and she worked very hard to become a better low post player. But imo Z was always more comfortable in the open court than the low post.

Against ND, Z certainly helped turn the tide in the 2nd quarter, but in the 2nd half, ND made an adjustment to double her in the post and Z struggled all game to control Sheppard on defense.

Give me a Tuck or even Kiah Stokes and UConn has a better chance of winning imo.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky- - - -If Geno was so high on Parker as a Senior in HS he sure has changed his opinion in 2012 & 2016 USA WBB team! He asked the committee to leave CP3 off those 5 years of World and Olympic Championships! And the supposed reasoning was she was/is not a "team player" to fit Geno's style of play! And it seems now the committee may NOT be choosing her even with Geno not the HC!
That is a very creative, unoriginal, revisionist, hard to ignore, hot garbage take of the events that sounds like it came from that orange tin foil wearing brigade.
please-not-today-meme.png

Reaction Score

Old
ude: I don't know Boston from Worcester but your highlighted comment above, to me, is a very true statement. Z, God Bless her, is excellent in many ways but just could not be turned into Steff or Tina. The teams of 17-18 were among the best Uconn put on the floor in the final analysis in my opinion they need a Steff or Tina to win it all.
In Geno, Christine, Shea I believe. Elite 8, FF, NC are all possible.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

If this were true, wouldn't most of the elite players wait until April to sign? That way they could back out of their verbal in case of a coaching change, scandal, etc. Wilson is very much the exception to the rule in waiting until the April signing period.

I'm just thinking of ND examples here. Jackie Young and Erin Boley both decided on ND over a year before they could sign. Brianna Turner committed in May. Brunelle committed in April. All of them were elite talents who I doubt felt any need to commit early to lock in a roster spot. Mabrey, Peoples, Gilbert - all top 25 recruits that decided before the fall as well.

So I don't know about most players waiting until the fall.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's certainly plausible that Boston strongly favors UConn and is simply doing her due diligence in visiting other schools. Or maybe she just really wants to see the ND-Michigan football game.

It's also plausible that her mind isn't quite made up yet and the other schools have a genuine chance.

I don't know where the intel that she is a lock comes from. I feel like there is a newsletter I missed. Anyone willing to share the unified list of "locks"?

Again, assuming that any recruit in UConn's crosshairs will choose UConn is generally safe. I just don't know how anyone can know she is a "lock" for UConn. It's certainly not from her social media. She's not obviously tipping her hand via twitter like Brunelle did.

Is this a "sources say" situation or are we just assuming she is a "lock" because UConn wants her, she goes to school an hour away, and she has visited several times?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I often think that the teenagers we tend to obsess over show more patience, consideration and maturity than some of the posters on this and other message boards. Today is August 30. Boston won't make an announcement until November.

Reaction Score
I'd love to know your source for all that.

Alydar- - -It was discussed on the BY ad nauseam back in 2016 when CP was left off the USA team!
Though Geno doesn't have a vote for who's picked his opinion is taken into consideration!
CP was on the 2012 team coached by Geno then she wasn't picked in his 2nd term as USA WBB HC!
Different articles were presented at that time and the chairwoman of the WBB committee was interviewed about the controversy.
Angel McCoughtry was supposed to be the last player picked.
Maybe other BYers will have more information than I do?
As to the upcoming USA WBB team I said CP MAY not be picked, as it's up to the NEW committee and chairwoman, and Dawn Staley the new HC!

Reaction Score
Alydar- - -It was discussed on the BY ad nauseam back in 2016 when CP was left off the USA team!
Though Geno doesn't have a vote for who's picked his opinion is taken into consideration!
CP was on the 2012 team coached by Geno then she wasn't picked in his 2nd term as USA WBB HC!
Different articles were presented at that time and the chairwoman of the WBB committee was interviewed about the controversy.
Angel McCoughtry was supposed to be the last player picked.
Maybe other BYers will have more information than I do?
As to the upcoming USA WBB team I said CP MAY not be picked, as it's up to the NEW committee and chairwoman, and Dawn Staley the new HC!

I well remember all the speculation as to why she was not on the team. There were several opinions. But you stated one of those opinions as fact and I thought maybe you actually knew what happened.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only question that matters is what each recruit thinks and decides!
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek!
Bronx23
Just messing with you Bronx23.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I well remember all the speculation as to why she was not on the team. There were several opinions. But you stated one of those opinions as fact and I thought maybe you actually knew what happened.
At he time I read an article that said the reason CP wasn't on the team was because of shoes. I think she wore Adidas and the rest of the team wore Nike. I thought it ridiculous but just goes to show how no one really knows the reasons. So does Geno lie, I think not.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple random thoughts on the recruitment of Aliyah Boston by UConn. I know some BY’ers are concerned about her trip to South Bend this weekend, as they should be. But a reminder to all that there are many factors that go into a recruit’s decision:

1. Boston has been a frequent visitor at UConn games, both at Storrs as well as the XL Center, usually sitting right behind the bench. I am certain she’s gotten to know most of the players, is probably on a 1st name basis with all of them, and communicates regularly with several of them.

2. At several of those games, there was an older woman sitting next to Boston (her aunt?). Geno is a great recruiter. Be assured that he’s recruited and likely charmed Boston’s aunt as well as her niece.

3. UConn starts the season off at the Paradise Jam in St Thomas, USVI, where Boston’s parents still live. The tournament runs from Nov 22-24, the weekend after the early signing period for NLI’s (Nov 14-21). I would expect that Geno has already planned to visit with Boston’s parents during the tournament, and I would expect there will be 2 tickets waiting for them at will call.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom