ND chances on Boston? | The Boneyard

ND chances on Boston?

Reaction Score
on the ND board they have a big weekend coming up with SB and Boston will be there as well.. will First night scheduling conflict with US 3X3 with Boston on the team. I’m getting nervous with SB playing with Boston, Buckner who’s is close with Fudd.. could be a recruiting edge.. could end up being a huge recruiting class for the next few years for the Irish and if so could become the next dynasty in women’s basketball. Feel like UCONN is losing its edge and no one knows how long Geno will be Around. I feel like the power is switching... the next few recruiting classes will be huge for UCONN .. time will tell. I’m starting to think Sam Brunelle will be Muffets biggest recruiter!! It doesn’t help that Sam has been playing all summer with UCONN’s biggest targets

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All of Sam's 3 x 3 teammates are better than she is. I think they will make the best choices for themselves. Boston could choose N.D., but I'd be surprised if she does. Try to be patient and not worry. Aliyah will be in Storrs later, hopefully with her parents. She has already been to Storrs or Hartford several times.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
on the ND board they have a big weekend coming up with SB and Boston will be there as well.. will First night scheduling conflict with US 3X3 with Boston on the team. I’m getting nervous with SB playing with Boston, Buckner who’s is close with Fudd.. could be a recruiting edge.. could end up being a huge recruiting class for the next few years for the Irish and if so could become the next dynasty in women’s basketball. Feel like UCONN is losing its edge and no one knows how long Geno will be Around. I feel like the power is switching... the next few recruiting classes will be huge for UCONN .. time will tell. I’m starting to think Sam Brunelle will be Muffets biggest recruiter!! It doesn’t help that Sam has been playing all summer with UCONN’s biggest targets
Don't be so nervous. It is more accurate to say that Samantha has been mostly "watching" UCONN's biggest targets play this summer. The UCONN targets are all Alpha's who will make up their own minds. Some of those Alpha's might end up at ND but it will not because ND signed Samantha. One win by ND against UCONN since 2013 is not an indication that the tide is turning.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Orangutan posted a very thorough report on ND's 2019 recruiting strategies and how they play off with UConn, since they have more than a few prospects in common (Boston, Jones, Amihere). Highly recommend that you take a look see at 2019/20 UConn Recruiting.

BTW, the other ND 2019 commit, Anaya Peoples -- according to a report from McGraw's Bench -- is now attending this weekend, as well as Ms. Brunelle. Maybe Anaya wants to take in the festivities (the team will probably be honored during a break in play of the Mich.-ND football game), but the timing is certainly interesting.

How long will Muffet be around she’s only a year younger than Geno

Good question. Two schools of thought that I've read:
- Some think that she'll make a run for a third title hard and -- if successful -- call it quits. She loves what she does, but the constant pressure of recruiting is taking a toll.
- Others think that she's actually had a redux the past few years and is really enjoying herself. Her one child just got married (so life is good there), her husband is retired and is with her constantly (even accompanying her on recruiting trips), and she is very, very comfortable with her current coach staff (Post Coach Carol Owens, Wing/Big Guard Coach Beth Morgan Cunningham and Niele Ivey, the recruiting coordinator and Point Guard coach).

My gut? Let's see what the next year or two bring. I could see it going either way. The good news is that she has two excellent HC candidates on the bench with her (Ivey and Morgan Cunningham, who has been a head coach at VCU) and one former Irish point guard who is doing a fine job at Miami of Ohio in Megan Duffy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Recruits aren't going to choose ND over UConn because of Sam Brunelle, especially when you consider UConn was Sam Brunelle's first choice.

Nearly two months will pass before Boston visits UConn in late October/early November.

Relax.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

I ain't worried.

Reaction Score
If Milford, Coco, UConnCat & Jordy ain't worried, that's helps me relax.
It's still got a ways to go before signing period begins. While I believe most recruits have a strong inkling at this time entering their senior year of HS, of their preferred landing spot. Unless one is absolutely set on their choice waiting I believe is usually a good thing, as things happen as time passes.
I'm still hoping we get three of those recruited including one of the bigs.
More maybe but is not always better.
Bronx23

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If Milford, Coco, UConnCat & Jordy ain't worried, that's helps me relax.
It's still got a ways to go before signing period begins. While I believe most recruits have a strong inkling at this time entering their senior year of HS, of their preferred landing spot. Unless one is absolutely set on their choice waiting I believe is usually a good thing, as things happen as time passes.
I'm still hoping we get three of those recruited including one of the bigs.
More maybe but is not always better.
Bronx23
It really does not matter if Milford, Coco, UConnCat, & Jordy are not worried. The only question that matters is, is Geno worried? It is a good chance he has information UConn fans don't have regarding the direction recruits are leaning. At least, I believe he has.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have commented before that Boston is a lock for UConn. While I don't have any inside information, from the day Geno secured the commitment of Rebecca Lobo, he has never lost a BIG out of what I would refer to as his recruiting wheelhouse: NE & NY. That includes Rebecca, Tina, Steph & Stewie. Should he lose Boston to ND, or anyone else for that matter, it would be the most significant recruiting loss for Geno since he came to CT, more significant in fact than losing Wilson, Cox or Collier due to Boston's geographic proximity to Storrs, less than an hour from campus.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have commented before that Boston is a lock for UConn. While I don't have any inside information, from the day Geno secured the commitment of Rebecca Lobo, he has never lost a BIG out of what I would refer to as his recruiting wheelhouse: NE & NY. That includes Rebecca, Tina, Steph & Stewie. Should he lose Boston to ND, or anyone else for that matter, it would be the most significant recruiting loss for Geno since he came to CT, more significant in fact than losing Wilson, Cox or Collier due to Boston's geographic proximity to Storrs, less than an hour from campus.
Candace Parker?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Re Boston and ND here is what I know:
ND is in her top 4.
She is visiting ND this weekend.
She has played with Sam B on various USAB teams
She has played AAU with Jordan Nixon
She is religious ("God First" appears in her instagram bio) and ND is the only religiously-affiliated school in her top 4.

Whether those last three items are significant factors in her decision-making process, I don't know.

I make UConn the favorite because (as pointed out by oldude) UConn is pretty much always the favorite for a player they really covet as long as geography isn't a major factor working against them.

Reaction Score
Was wondering a lot of people were saying that Sam Brunelle’s top choice was UCONN. My question is what changed? If Geno knew it was her top choice , top favorite why wouldn’t he pursue her more? The top rated player at the time .. something obviously went wrong. Sadly it’s going to come back and bite Geno and UCONN. I really believe sam will use her magic .. the fact she has played with Boston, Buckers and Fudd. It’s like when UCONN signed bird, cash, Jones and Williams and Walters all in one class... they were sick of Tennessee being the most dominant program and wanted to ensemble the best class at the time. Maybe Notre Dame is looking to do the same and bring there program to multiple national championships for years to come. I have a feeling Notre Dame will end up getting Boston, Buckers and Fudd and Aimenhere. Hopefully UCONN can snag a big class for UCONN or they will have issues competing with the top teams. They need inside players .. sadly Olivia can’t do it all by herself. The next 2 recruiting classes will be the most pivotal in a long time.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Notre Dame will end up getting Boston, Buckers and Fudd and Aimenhere. Hopefully UCONN can snag a big class for UCONN or they will have issues competing with the top teams. They need inside players .. sadly Olivia can’t do it all by herself. The next 2 recruiting classes will be the most pivotal in a long time.
OMG just stop it! Geno will end up with dynamite recruiting classes next couple years, including more than his fair share of these rare talents. We don't get even ONE of Boston (UConn lock), Bueckers, Fudd or Amihere? C'mon - time to chill a little and trust...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Parker’s from St Louis?
Parker's seasons in college Fall 2004 -Spring 2008 resulted in UCONN winning zero championships sometimes referred to as the Dark Ages because UCONN only made 1 FF in that time frame. UCONN won championships in spring of 2004 and Spring of 2009- immediately before and after Parker. I believe Geno was quoted as saying whoever recruited Parker was going to win multiple championships which TN did with Parker. UCONN won 2 championship despite the Wilson (SC) miss and 1 (so far) despite the Cox (TX) miss. So Parker (ST. Louis or Il) is Geno's biggest recruiting miss by far and Brittney Griner (TX) is second. Aliyah Boston would have to win 3 championships elsewhere to be considered a bigger miss than Parker or 2 to be a bigger miss than Griner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Was wondering a lot of people were saying that Sam Brunelle’s top choice was UCONN. My question is what changed? If Geno knew it was her top choice , top favorite why wouldn’t he pursue her more? The top rated player at the time .. something obviously went wrong. Sadly it’s going to come back and bite Geno and UCONN. I really believe sam will use her magic .. the fact she has played with Boston, Buckers and Fudd. It’s like when UCONN signed bird, cash, Jones and Williams and Walters all in one class... they were sick of Tennessee being the most dominant program and wanted to ensemble the best class at the time. Maybe Notre Dame is looking to do the same and bring there program to multiple national championships for years to come. I have a feeling Notre Dame will end up getting Boston, Buckers and Fudd and Aimenhere. Hopefully UCONN can snag a big class for UCONN or they will have issues competing with the top teams. They need inside players .. sadly Olivia can’t do it all by herself. The next 2 recruiting classes will be the most pivotal in a long time.
Just hold your breath until the end of the early signing period. ;)

If we have a small haul in 2019--which I don't think will be the case--it makes things wide open for the studs in 2020.

Recruiting is not for the faint of heart. We wait 365 days for 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 days with announcements. Try to pace yourself!

On a very different recruiting topic, my undersized but "nasty piece of business" granddaughter has multiple soccer scholarship offers and is narrowing her choice. It's interesting to be on the other side of recruiting.

Reaction Score
Negative much?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Parker's seasons in college Fall 2004 -Spring 2008 resulted in UCONN winning zero championships sometimes referred to as the Dark Ages because UCONN only made 1 FF in that time frame. UCONN won championships in spring of 2004 and Spring of 2009- immediately before and after Parker. I believe Geno was quoted as saying whoever recruited Parker was going to win multiple championships which TN did with Parker. UCONN won 2 championship despite the Wilson (SC) miss and 1 (so far) despite the Cox (TX) miss. So Parker (ST. Louis or Il) is Geno's biggest recruiting miss by far and Brittney Griner (TX) is second. Aliyah Boston would have to win 3 championships elsewhere to be considered a bigger miss than Parker or 2 to be a bigger miss than Griner.
I don't think that Parker was a "miss" per se. Appel, Ogumike, Wilson, and Cox were misses. I believe Parker told UConn that she was not interested very early on. It may have been because Geno would have wanted her to play hard all the time, play inside, and play defense.

Reaction Score
Holdsclaw.

Reaction Score
OMG just stop it! Geno will end up with dynamite recruiting classes next couple years, including more than his fair share of these rare talents. We don't get even ONE of Boston (UConn lock), Bueckers, Fudd or Amihere? C'mon - time to chill a little and trust...
If Boston is a lock why hasn’t she commited? Why is she going to Notre Dame this weekend with SB? Boston is far from a lock.. wouldn’t be surprised if she commits this weekend to ND.

Reaction Score

CocoHusky- - - -If Geno was so high on Parker as a Senior in HS he sure has changed his opinion in 2012 & 2016 USA WBB team! He asked the committee to leave CP3 off those 5 years of World and Olympic Championships! And the supposed reasoning was she was/is not a "team player" to fit Geno's style of play! And it seems now the committee may NOT be choosing her even with Geno not the HC!

Reaction Score
CocoHusky- - - -If Geno was so high on Parker as a Senior in HS he sure has changed his opinion in 2012 & 2016 USA WBB team! He asked the committee to leave CP3 off those 5 years of World and Olympic Championships! And the supposed reasoning was she was/is not a "team player" to fit Geno's style of play! And it seems now the committee may NOT be choosing her even with Geno not the HC!

I'd love to know your source for all that.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom