ND Article from Mcmurphy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Article from Mcmurphy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's easy. Many of us believe that non-profit, religious institutions should be expected to honor their word, and live up to contracts they sign. So stay your 27 months or negotiate a mutually acceptable early exit.

Not sure why that's hard to understand. (Although the difficulty understanding it is clearly not just limited to you.)

I meant I am not sure what UCONN fans expect from their admins going forward from here.

You are delusional as to honoring commitment. The C7 have sucked it up for years. The football schools were the ones bolting left and right. Then the remaining slop tried shoving god awful slop down the c7 throats and they did not want to associate with that. Villanova even buckled and the C7 allowed Temple in because it was what YOU GUYS wanted. Temple is a waste, a taxpayer black hole that has ZERO football success. But, you want em... you got em. Have fun. YOU guys are forming a conference while begging for someone to rescue Uconn from it. Pitiful and hypocritical of you to refere to loyalty.

The C7 have negotiated an exit in good faith with the slop that Uconn has associated itself. It seems Uconn Cinci and USF have also negotiated in good faith. The reason the schools split is the slop that was being heaped upon them. What did you expect them to do? Say "So you are left with three football orphans and we need to find a few more lousy programs and, want US to be ok with associating with them just because you found someone who wants to play football with you?" Well, that does not serve the interests of the C7.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I meant I am not sure what UCONN fans expect from their admins going forward from here.

You are delusional as to honoring commitment. The C7 have sucked it up for years. The football schools were the ones bolting left and right. Then the remaining slop tried shoving god awful slop down the c7 throats and they did not want to associate with that. Villanova even buckled and the C7 allowed Temple in because it was what YOU GUYS wanted. Temple is a waste, a taxpayer black hole that has ZERO football success. But, you want em... you got em. Have fun. YOU guys are forming a conference while begging for someone to rescue Uconn from it. Pitiful and hypocritical of you to refere to loyalty.

The C7 have negotiated an exit in good faith with the slop that Uconn has associated itself. It seems Uconn Cinci and USF have also negotiated in good faith. The reason the schools split is the slop that was being heaped upon them. What did you expect them to do? Say "So you are left with three football orphans and we need to find a few more lousy programs and, want US to be ok with associating with them just because you found someone who wants to play football with you?" Well, that does not serve the interests of the C7.
Yet here we are after everyone else has left. Nova demanded $2 million to "study" upgrading football when asked to waive its objection to Temple. Then left anyway. BTW, the above quote is aimed at ND's obligations, not the C7. Who also voted to allow membership of all the slop they suddenly are fleeing from.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

If the C7 negotiated in good faith it would be their first act of good faith in about 15 years. I hope you don't mistake any of the hard feelings on this board for regret; the only issue UConn fans have is that you did not leave earlier. You have been an opponent, a cost, and a detriment to this league - good luck with your slow slide into irrelevance. Basketball only was the 1980's, but you'll learn that soon now that you don't have the football schools to cover up for your shortcomings.

Reaction Score

uhhh, the only reason you waited to leave was because the all sports tv contract finally bottomed out to what you basketball only leaches can get on your own.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Horse s***.

The C7 'allowed' Temple in because they still expected a television payout.

In retrospect, the best thing the football schools could have done was split off in 2003.

Reaction Score
Horse s***.

The C7 'allowed' Temple in because they still expected a television payout.

In retrospect, the best thing the football schools could have done was split off in 2003.

hell, better yet in 2001.

Reaction Score
Fishy, you can cry horse Sh__t but I am right on the Temple thing. If you understand the philadelphia college scene, I am sure you get it. Temple in the Big East got Nova no financial reward AT ALL. It was a garbage replacement for what you guys had lost.

Nova said TU can come in if we can come in for football. Temple did not get in right away and was pissed. Nova (and the others) eventually relented.

What would a 2003 split have gotten you guys? Into a conference without BC, Miami and VaTech. You would have had a less vauluable hoop product. That hoop product is all you have. The football is an albatross that you are stuck with. It is one Villanova thought it had to endure as well.

I will miss the games with UCONN (I couldn't have cared less about BC's departure into complete sports obscurity), Syracuse and Pitt. That is old school Big East that meant a lot to the schools involved. Heck, at about age 11 or 12 I was at the civic center during the Big East Tourney held there. I kind of grew up on the old Big East and hate what happened to it. Football bastardized the conference and dissolved it.

Reaction Score
Fishy, you can cry horse Sh__t but I am right on the Temple thing. If you understand the philadelphia college scene, I am sure you get it. Temple in the Big East got Nova no financial reward AT ALL. It was a garbage replacement for what you guys had lost.

Nova said TU can come in if we can come in for football. Temple did not get in right away and was pissed. Nova (and the others) eventually relented.

What would a 2003 split have gotten you guys? Into a conference without BC, Miami and VaTech. You would have had a less vauluable hoop product. That hoop product is all you have. The football is an albatross that you are stuck with. It is one Villanova thought it had to endure as well.

Remember when the football albatross (you know the one way after BC, Miami and VaTech left) was offered that 1.4 billion dollar ESPN contract? That was a little bigger than your C7 contract, no?

Reaction Score
That contract involved basketball too and I am pretty sure it was one that Nova did NOT want declined (Georgetown, If I am not mistaken, was against the deal. I never exactly understood why some schools were not in favor of it) We can all agree that turning down THAT was a collosal screw up.

Reaction Score

I will miss the games with UCONN (I couldn't have cared less about BC's departure into complete sports obscurity), Syracuse and Pitt. That is old school Big East that meant a lot to the schools involved. Heck, at about age 11 or 12 I was at the civic center during the Big East Tourney held there. I kind of grew up on the old Big East and hate what happened to it. Football bastardized the conference and dissolved it.

I prefer to be more precise. The ACC, Boston College and even Syracused bastardized the conference. They put the idea in people's heads that any university could be in any conference no matter how far they were. It also introducted instability in that if BC could go to the ACC (and do it behind the BE back twice), it would be hard to trust anyone. It was also out there that Cuse would be interested in getting out if offered the right deal.
Looking at the ACC map when it was just BC in the ACC looked so wrong.

Reaction Score

Geeze Tyrone have you forgotten that the BE added Marquette and De Paul, just to keep the bball onllies happy? DePaul. really? Of course the C7 are going to be paid more than the remaining 3 plus to leave early doesn't mean anything. Look I don't care that they left and I don't blame them for leaving but let's be upfront about the reasons. They could have left years ago but continue to suck on the teat of the ftball playing bball schools until the money dried up.

Reaction Score

I STRONGLY disagree with you about the hoop product if the split had happened back in 2003. First off the following teams have flat out SUCKED since then:
DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence College,
St Johns has only turned around in the last few years...but they seem to be back in the flat out SUCKS pack as well.
The only programs that have been steady are Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette. And there is NO WAY those 3 programs can hold a candle to UConn, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt's success from 2003-2012!

Reaction Score

And you are welcome to leave. The C7 hasn't done much as a whole to contribute to the coffers in the last 10-15 years. Some schools have done nothing, others a little. In contrast, all the FB schools have contributed in FB, and almost all in BB. The '80s are over.

Reaction Score
That Villanova had to endure playing football in the BE. Is that why they took $1 million from the BE during that fantasy football that Marinatto thought up A soccer stadium really? How about Nova returning the million.

Reaction Score
I prefer to be more precise. The ACC, Boston College and even Syracused bastardized the conference. They put the idea in people's heads that any university could be in any conference no matter how far they were. It also introducted instability in that if BC could go to the ACC (and do it behind the BE back twice), it would be hard to trust anyone. It was also out there that Cuse would be interested in getting out if offered the right deal.
Looking at the ACC map when it was just BC in the ACC looked so wrong.

I'm pretty sure Cuse, Boeheim's opinion aside, was out the door with Miami in 2003 if the Virginia state legislature hadn't decided they'd prefer to pair up Va Tech with UVA. I think it was a little more than just being maybe interested in going.

I also don't know whether Cuse, Va Tech and BC staying back then would have made a difference if Miami was gone either way and the basketball onlies share a good bit of blame with shalala for Miami's wandering eyes.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame needs to pay the BE $2.5 mil to leave. They are gone. That's the news. $2.5 mil means "iron out the details".

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
2.5???? WTF

I had the same thought. I think WVU paid like $10M to leave early. ND has deeper pockets and was never a good partner in this conference - I would say $25M or wait it out, or bring us somewhere as your +1.

Reaction Score
I had the same thought. I think WVU paid like $10M to leave early. ND has deeper pockets and was never a good partner in this conference - I would say $25M or wait it out, or bring us somewhere as your +1.
They paid 20 million to leave early. And so should Notre Dame.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Different situation. ND has 0 exit fee if they wait it out. WVU had 5mil had they waited. We NEEDED an 8th team for football we don't need Notre Dame for anything.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Different situation. ND has 0 exit fee if they wait it out. WVU had 5mil had they waited. We NEEDED an 8th team for football we don't need Notre Dame for anything.

Then they can wait. Why should we be playing nice with ND right now? And I would say, for the first time, we could actually use ND in bball the next two years considering who we will be playing.

Reaction Score
Then they can wait. Why should we be playing nice with ND right now? And I would say, for the first time, we could actually use ND in bball the next two years considering who we will be playing.
Agreed. And now McMurphy is reporting we are only asking for 2.5 million. Yes Notre Dame can wait it out, but that means they would be in this new conference for TWO MORE SEASONS. No way will they do that. But as usual, we are duck*ing it up!

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Well since right now the "Big America" has 3 members, I would guess UConn and Cinci (at least) are trying to play nicey nice with Notre Dame to get a positive referral in the CR shuffle (whereas the C7 are irrelevant). I have no issue with that philosophically, but I don't think ND will do anything to help. I think their threat is more 'stick' than 'carrot' - eg blacklisting us.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I agree. It would also be better off for us as ND not in the ACC for as long as possible will make that league more unstable. But in all fairness for a bball only school to depart early if they pay $5 mil I think would be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom