ND AD reaction on Realignment | The Boneyard

ND AD reaction on Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Can't say I disagree with him.
If it came from any other AD but Notre Dame's I might agree... but they've been playing the interests of the basketball only schools vs. the football schools for years... it rings hollow.

Reaction Score
That's why we should have dumped ND a long time ago, the relationship always benefitted ND more than the BE.

He doesn't undertsand how a school can think of themselves, but that's exactly what ND did, think of themselves and now we have what we got, nothing to show for. I knew this would happen, it was only a matter of time before the ACC pull out their knives and finnish the BE.

Tranghese and JM were morons, they were basketball people in a football world, and why the hell is the exit fee just 5 million? Idiots.

Reaction Score
I don't feel bad for ND one single bit!! This has been a long time coming! It will be interesting to see what they do.

Reaction Score
no likey WF president comments. though he's probably not one of the more influential voices in all of this.

Reaction Score
no likey WF president comments. though he's probably not one of the more influential voices in all of this.

Don't worry, it will all come to fruition when Texas goes to the Pac-12. That might not happen for a few days.
As well, UConn and Rutgers can possibly hold up Syracuse and Pitt's exit by being sticklers. That could throw a wrench into everything. ESPN may not jack up the TV package for the ACC for just Syracuse and Pitt.

Reaction Score
ND played footsie with the ACC multiple times, and even scheduled football games with them over the BE. The ND guy has a lot of gall. What is it with the leadership of these schools?

Reaction Score
ND's hand is being forced for the first time in quite a while. Their FB independence is being challenged. They are in danger of losing their BCS fallback conference. As conferences expand, TV will dictate an increase in league games to 9-10 (the fans will want it too). That reduces the OOC games sharply for most of their traditional rivals. Their best choice is the Big10 to keep their goal of maintaining traditional games. But the Big 10 will likely want their fair share of the NBC money.

If ND was really concerned about the larger aspects of college sports, they would not have been feeding off the BE for all these years while contributing nothing in FB. I hope they squirm and have some pain. Better yet, they need to go independent in all sports. But they will do what they always do, what is best for ND. This time, it might mean joining a conference.

Reaction Score
What an absolute joke, I'll post the reply I left there, their protestations are ridiculous. Yah this whole thing sux, but this stuff coming from the Pres. of the NCAA and ND just rings so hollow

"Really Emmert, was Seattle closer to Tempe when you were at UW than the 1300 miles it is now? Your angst is so transparent and ND has no-one to blame but themselves. If they were so worried about their conference brethren they could have ended much of this by making a commitment to BE football as a collegial gesture to the conference that gave ALL their other sports a home for all these years. Sleep tight in the bed you made!"

Reaction Score
The bball schools might be saying the same thing about him when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
ND is just pissed they are watching their bowl game tie-in's vanish right before their eyes as Big East football implodes at the same time! You reap what you sew!

Reaction Score
ND, the one school that could have provided the necessary credibility and stability to the Big East football conference all but screamed from a mountain top that they would never play Big East football. Wasn't in their best interest to do so they claimed. Now they are upset that SU and Pitt said the hell with you, we're looking out for self here.

Translation, "how dare Pitt and Cuse do anything that goes against our have our cake and eat it too" relationship with the Big East. Too bad, they missed the opportunity to solidify the Big East. They are as much to blame about what just happened as anyone.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame could have solidified the Big East football conference a long time ago by joining it. If they are going to gripe now about their basketball team being in a watered down conference then they only have themselves to blame. BC and Miami never would have left in the first place if ND football was coming to the Big East. Besides..... they are going to end up in the Big 10 sooner or later anyways so why the posturing? The basketball only schools have nothing to whine about either. They know and have known what the reality is in D-1 and they weren't willing to put up(a D-1 football team) so they may as well shut up.

Reaction Score
You
Notre Dame could have solidified the Big East football conference a long time ago by joining it. If they are going to gripe now about their basketball team being in a watered down conference then they only have themselves to blame. BC and Miami never would have left in the first place if ND football was coming to the Big East. Besides..... they are going to end up in the Big 10 sooner or later anyways so why the posturing? The basketball only schools have nothing to whine about either. They know and have known what the reality is in D-1 and they weren't willing to put up(a D-1 football team) so they may as well shut up.
got that right weyo!!! I would hope that the supposed conference call between remaining members went like this football school pres to bb school pres: SHUT UP AND LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY TO US HERE IS HOW THIS IS GOING TO GO

Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not sure BC and WF will vote no for Uconn.

ND has created its own situation and now must live with it. I have no sympathy for ND. I do believe their hand will be forced and they will go to the Big 10/ 12 or whatever they will call themselves.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
"I don't understand it," Jack Swarbrick said as a new round of conference hopping in college athletics moved into high gear Sunday. "How do you vote as a collegiate president on something that has the potential to provide some benefit for your institution and the conference you're affiliated with but has a very negative consequence for a host of other members of the academy, as presidents like to call it?
Translation: We were fully expecting the BE football members to remain committed to this conference in order for ND to have a home in a major conference for our other sports while we remained independent in football. We find it quite selfish on the part of Pitt and Syracuse that they made a move. solely in their best interests, without regard for what really is important, which is the best interests of Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Translation: We were fully expecting the BE football members to remain committed to this conference in order for ND to have a home in a major conference for our other sports while we remained independent in football. We find it quite selfish on the part of Pitt and Syracuse that they made a move. solely in their best interests, without regard for what really is important, which is the best interests of Notre Dame.

You just won the internet today.

I for one congratulate SU and Pitt. They played it perfectly.

Reaction Score
What arrogance. ND still wallowing about their plight? If I had any say, 64+ BCS schools would boycott scheduling the Irish until they were forced to join a conference. Now is the time for the rest of college athletics to bring this has been program to it's knees.

Reaction Score
Yep. If ND had stepped up, you would have had a 9-team, very solid conference, even today as an old fashioned 9 team conference.
ND
Miami
VT
WVU
Pitt
Syr
BC
RU
CT

This would have left scheduling for 4 OOC games: USC, MI, MSU, and one wild card (Cal, Purdue, Stanford, Navy, on a rotating basis).

This would have been viewed as a "hands off" league in terms of BCS affiliation, even at 9. You would have 4 and 4 home and away. The ACC would probably still be at 9. The Big 10 would be at 10. There would be much less pressure to expand. I'm not criticizing ND. This is not what they wanted at the time. I think they will see in time that their choices were narrow-minded and will lead them to the B10 where they will eventually lose their precious identity, as Penn State has to some extent. I don't think PSU is one bit unhappy with this btw, but I think ND alumni will be unhappy. But they'll have to get used to it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is actually good news. I thought one of the reasons the ACC added Pitt and Syracuse was to entice Notre Dame. That will not carry nearly as much weight now given how Notre Dame is clearly pissed off that Pitt and Syracuse did that. In fact, Pitt and Syracuse's membership could work against the ACC. If Texas would just join the Pac 12, we would be in better shape.

Reaction Score
This is actually good news. I thought one of the reasons the ACC added Pitt and Syracuse was to entice Notre Dame. That will not carry nearly as much weight now given how Notre Dame is clearly pissed off that Pitt and Syracuse did that. In fact, Pitt and Syracuse's membership could work against the ACC. If Texas would just join the Pac 12, we would be in better shape.
Seriously? This was the ACC making a move to be in a position of strength and adding 2 teams that fit what they wanted before anyone else. They did not want leftovers. TX and ND are clearly the big prizes but the probability of them going to the ACC are very slim. I think the ACC knows that. By poaching two schools that ND likes as both FB and BB partners, the ACC probably did more to help themselves with ND than hurt. Its called being proactive rather than reactive. While the BE was figuring out how to get to 10, the ACC was working on 14 and 16.

What ND is pissed about is that ND's leverage and options were diminished by this move. If the Pac 10 goes to 14- 16 and the SEC to 14-16 and the ACC to 16, and the Big10 says screw off to them as they go to 14 or 16 since they will not bend over for them on revenue issues, ND becomes no better than BYU, Navy and Army in terms of football. And if the BB schools have balls, they will tell them to go screw too. ND is pissed because the writing is on the wall. Their beloved FB independence is going away.

Reaction Score
What arrogance. ND still wallowing about their plight? If I had any say, 64+ BCS schools would boycott scheduling the Irish until they were forced to join a conference. Now is the time for the rest of college athletics to bring this has been program to it's knees.

what a collegiate attitude you have. there's nothing wrong with ND being independent if they were independent like BYU, Army or Navy. i'd rather there be more independents out there. it's their special rules for BCS qualification and BCS game revenues that bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom