ND about to steal an ACC bowl bid | The Boneyard

ND about to steal an ACC bowl bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to an Andy Katz editorial on WFAN today, ND with their 7-5 record can steal a lower bowl birth from an ACC team. Same deal as when they were in the BE.
Katz criticized Swofford for accepting such a deal. I wonder which team gets screwed.

Reaction Score
We knew that was a possibility when they went to the ACC. Katz is railing about nothing. I doubt you see one ACC school object to this because they knew the score going in.

Reaction Score
We knew that was a possibility when they went to the ACC. Katz is railing about nothing. I doubt you see one ACC school object to this because they knew the score going in.
Katz purpose for this editorial was to criticize Swofford for cutting such a deal.

Reaction Score
Katz purpose for this editorial was to criticize Swofford for cutting such a deal.
The schools all agreed to it. Sounds like its just Katz being Katz to me.

Reaction Score
The BE schools all agreed to the same; and then whined when reality hit home. Look at the schools sitting at 6-6 and now looking at the lowest rung on the bowl ladder - Va Tech, UNC, Pitt and Miami. In fairness, UNC should take the hit as the others enjoyed the ND experience in their prior (BE) life, but my guess is it'll BC and their huge fanbase that takes the hit. This, IMO, is a good thing as the ACC will now see the benefits of sharing the pie w/ND.

Reaction Score
The BE schools all agreed to the same; and then whined when reality hit home. Look at the schools sitting at 6-6 and now looking at the lowest rung on the bowl ladder - Va Tech, UNC, Pitt and Miami. In fairness, UNC should take the hit as the others enjoyed the ND experience in their prior (BE) life, but my guess is it'll BC and their huge fanbase that takes the hit. This, IMO, is a good thing as the ACC will now see the benefits of sharing the pie w/ND.

There really isn't a financial loss to any school that might be bumped to another Bowl Game. The Bowls below the BCS level, are all pretty much the same in guaranteed payouts. Plus, the ACC has shared revenues that make your concern with ND taking a Bowl slot essentially a non issue. On the whole, while its true that ND does benefit financially with its negotiation with the ACC, it is also true that having ND in the fold for all non football sports, and partially for football, also is a money maker for all the schools in the ACC that play ND as well . For just one example of this, the guaranteed 5 annual ACC regular season football games negotiated by the ACC with ND makes money for both parties... more than prior to the negotiated deal being struck by both parties.. Thus, it is not a zero sum deal at all, as some apparently incorrectly assume it to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That makes sense if you're the Soviet Union. At the end of the day, you're a frigging BC fan and when you get passed over by a decent bowl to play Illinois in Detroit the day after Xmas at a financial loss w/no fans in the stands, let me know how it feels to take a few Irish hand me downs to make up for your loss. Nothing says we had a great year more than the Quick lane Bowl live from Pontiac. Maybe you're happy to get invited to any bowl, but the folks in Clemson are going to pretty frigging upset if they get slotted down because of the Irish.

P.S. if you believe the bowl payouts are even below the BCS, you may want to do some more research. As an example, the payout for the Russell is 2.3M, versus abnout .5M for Detroit.

Reaction Score
That makes sense if you're the Soviet Union.

The ACC and its member schools have revenue sharing agreements in place. But I can tell you're an angry dude right now that doesn't want to know or learn anything beyond what you claim to know... and instead just involve yourself in insults here with me. I won't attempt to explain the ACC revenue agreements in place with you, as you appear close minded right now to me to any civil discourse attempt by me. I 'd rather suggest you research instead " The Soviet Union ". ( it ended in 1991). So even " The Soviet Union " doesn't " make sense "anymore to anyone.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
I 'd rather suggest you research instead " The Soviet Union ". ( it ended in 1991). So even " The Soviet Union " doesn't " make sense "anymore to anyone.

Sick burn, bro.

Reaction Score
The ACC has a negotiated Bowl Game Revenue Sharing policy ( enacted in 2012-2013 ) among its member schools. The reason some fans seem upset ( both here and within the ACC fan base ) on the potential Bowl bump is that perhaps they do not know that there is an ACC school members revenue sharing agreements among the schools on these Bowls. Even sportswriters in some locales seem oblivious to this fact. As a result, this is the quintessential tempest in the teapot. But as Shakespeare once wrote.... " a Tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, but in the end, signifying nothing ".

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Based on the high level of intelligence exhibited in this post, im sure you are aware that BC and their "poor fanbase", through 2013, have consistently outdrawn Connecticut's "rabid football fans". And thats with uconn having 2x the undergraduate enrollment and a much larger (local) alumni base. Those are hard facts, numbers, but I guess dont let them get in your way.

Again, not to get in the way of your well thought out response, but if you think a qualifying ACC team is going to get left out of a bowl your nuts. Some conference wont have enough schools, something will happen (ie Citrus Bowl spot opening potentially) and everyone will be taken care of.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
^^ Anyone up for correcting the errors in Mr. Smartie-Pants' post?

Reaction Score
Honest to god mods.......who's in the mood for this steady stream of BC troll posting? Not me!

Reaction Score
The ACC has become Notre Dame's new beeeyaaaatch. Why the member school of the P5 conferences don't turn their back on ND (in all sports) until such time as they become an all-sports member with a full schedule of conference games. No more "deals", no more Irish dictating terms of their football involvement. All in or all out.

How the 64+ members of these mega conferences with plenty of "storied programs" of their own allow themselves to be manipulated like this is beyond reason. I don't want to hear about the $$$$$ incentive that causes them to turn a blind eye. If all these schools "blackball" ND, the problem will rectify itself very quickly as the Irish capitulate and decide once and for all to play be the same rules as everyone else.

Reaction Score
The ACC has become Notre Dame's new beeeyaaaatch. Why the member school of the P5 conferences don't turn their back on ND (in all sports) until such time as they become an all-sports member with a full schedule of conference games. No more "deals", no more Irish dictating terms of their football involvement. All in or all out.

How the 64+ members of these mega conferences with plenty of "storied programs" of their own allow themselves to be manipulated like this is beyond reason. I don't want to hear about the $ incentive that causes them to turn a blind eye. If all these schools "blackball" ND, the problem will rectify itself very quickly as the Irish capitulate and decide once and for all to play be the same rules as everyone else.

I'm no defender of ND, but the fact of the matter is, the ACC league's recent multiple negotiations with ND make the ACC schools money. It appears some here either overlook this fact, deny it, or are simply unaware of it. If Swofford thought its relationship with ND did not make the ACC money, he and the other ACC schools would not have have sat down, met with them, and cut a deal that makes money for both. Its called business. The narrative that the ACC negotiated multiple deals with ND that makes the ACC Schools no money, or does nothing for the ACC, is not only illogical, it is not even accurate. The ACC has locked in 40% of ND's future football schedule for ACC football teams. Unless one erroneously believes that playing ND in football doesn't make money for a team on ND's,football schedule, one is forced by logic and reasoning alone to come to a different mindset than the one often heard here that the ACC is being ND's " beeeaaatch " or some other nonsensical silliness. ND makes money. Lots of it. You cut deals with those that have it. This helps you make money too. So thats what the ACC has done... willingly, intelligently, and business like.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There really isn't a financial loss to any school that might be bumped to another Bowl Game.

Maybe not a financial loss, but if you get bumped from the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium (close drive, no plane tix, no hotel, etc) to some Sleeper Bowl in Detroit or Texas, you won't mind? Hey, as long as you are getting more money to the school, screw the fans right?

Reaction Score
I'm no defender of ND, but the fact of the matter is, the ACC league's recent multiple negotiations with ND make the ACC schools money. It appears some here either overlook this fact, deny it, or are simply unaware of it. If Swofford thought its relationship with ND did not make the ACC money, he and the other ACC schools would not have have sat down, met with them, and cut a deal that makes money for both. Its called business. The narrative that the ACC negotiated multiple deals with ND that makes the ACC Schools no money, or does nothing for the ACC, is not only illogical, it is not even accurate. The ACC has locked in 40% of ND's future football schedule for ACC football teams. Unless one erroneously believes that playing ND in football doesn't make money for a team on ND's,football schedule, one is forced by logic and reasoning alone to come to a different mindset than the one often heard here that the ACC is being ND's " beeeaaatch " or some other nonsensical silliness. ND makes money. Lots of it. You cut deals with those that have it. This helps you make money too. So thats what the ACC has done... willingly, intelligently, and business like.

Understanding your historical acumen - that very same logic was used by the BE and its member schools right up until .......

(I'll let you fill in the blanks - warning, you'll have to go back a few years when there was not only a Soviet Union, but a BE, to get the answer right.)

Reaction Score
Maybe not a financial loss, but if you get bumped from the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium (close drive, no plane tix, no hotel, etc) to some Sleeper Bowl in Detroit or Texas, you won't mind? Hey, as long as you are getting more money to the school, screw the fans right?
I won't be able to attend any BC Bowl Game this year, no matter where and when it is... and those who really support BC on the road, will go to support BC in the Bowl Game, no matter where it is. And I'd imagine the players are happy they will be going to a Bowl Game... and as far as what money BC does or does not make off the Bowl Games this season ( considerable payoff, due to ACC revenue sharing ), I don't care about the money aspect. As near as I can tell, it is you and a few others that seem co0ncerned that you erroneously believe that BC is going to be screwed somehow in all this. But for context, isn't it a whole better to be talking about what Bowl Game a school might or might not be going to, and what money from it they might or might not make, than not having any Bowl Game options at all for a school's fans after this Saturday ? The proper context here afterall, is everything in this regard it would seem to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

How the 64+ members of these mega conferences with plenty of "storied programs" of their own allow themselves to be manipulated like this is beyond reason. I don't want to hear about the $ incentive that causes them to turn a blind eye. If all these schools "blackball" ND, the problem will rectify itself very quickly as the Irish capitulate and decide once and for all to play be the same rules as everyone else.

If "beyatch" is latin for "entered into mutually acceptable, and presumably beneficial, arrangements" then you are 100% right.

Reaction Score
Understanding your historical acumen - that very same logic was used by the BE and its member schools right up until ..

(I'll let you fill in the blanks - warning, you'll have to go back a few years when there was not only a Soviet Union, but a BE, to get the answer right.)
The BE never negotiated a ND guaranteed annual 5 game football schedule ( 40% of ND's football schedule) to be with ACC schools. The BE never negotiated anything for itself with or from ND. It is silly to compare the sheer incompetancy of Tranghese and that of Swofford. It just is. So please, do yourself a favor and don't bring up the BE in anything at all as a barometer of what ND and the ACC have been able to put together in negotiations that have satisfied the interests of both parties to the negotiations. Comparing the BE with the ACC in negotiations with ND is a loser from the start. I think if you are honest with yourself, in retrospect you wished you didn't invoke the Big East as a comparison lesson for anything. The BE was run by utterly clueless, incompetent morons.... whether it was with ND, or not. Just about every former BE school has eventully come around to that assessment by now too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The BE never negotiated a ND guaranteed annual 5 game football schedule ( 40% of ND's football schedule) to be with ACC schools. The BE never negotiated anything for itself with or from ND. It is silly to compare the sheer incompetancy of Tranghese and that of Swofford. It just is. So please, do yourself a favor and don't bring up the BE in anything at all as a barometer of what ND and the ACC have been able to put together in negotiations that have satisfied the interests of both parties to the negotiations. Comparing the BE with the ACC in negotiations with ND is a loser from the start. I think if you are honest with yourself, in retrospect you wished you didn't invoke the Big East as a comparison lesson for anything. The BE was run by utterly clueless, incompetent morons.... whether it was with ND, or not. Just about every former BE school has eventully come around to that assessment by now too.

My God, the arrogance and contempt you show UCONN and, by extension the AAC, is staggering!

Reaction Score
As near as I can tell, it is you and a few others that seem co0ncerned that you erroneously believe that BC is going to be screwed somehow in all this. But for context, isn't it a whole better to be talking about what Bowl Game a school might or might not be going to, and what money from it they might or might not make, than not having any Bowl Game options at all for a school's fans after this Saturday ?

Did you read the title of this thread? ND is going to take one of the ACC bowl games. It might be BC's game, it might not. BC won't care if their game is taken, because like you said they are still getting paid financially, but the true BC fans (who actually WATCH the games) might. If ND takes BC's game, BC would likely face a lesser opponent in a lesser bowl and likely further away from the New England area where a majority of BC fans live.

You obviously enjoy shoving the fact that BC is going to a bowl game and UCONN is not into our faces, because you trolling on a UCONN forum saying things like "isn't it a whole better to be talking about what Bowl Game a school might or might not be going to ... than not having any Bowl Game options at all for a school's fans after this Saturday". Stay classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom